Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hunting Boots are all the rage

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
I agree with some of the commenters - they never went out of style! Looking at a number of "fashion" catalogs over the vacation break and overseas, I saw a lot of this type of gear, along with WWII inspired items. I like it. It's the first sign of revival "fashion" that hasn't annoyed me in years. Let's face it, good designs are timeless, and will always come back.

Fifty150

One Too Many
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/31180?feat=26-SR0#

Fashion forces retailers into competition for the customer. Retailers have to either make the items better, or sell the items at a lower price. I guess at LL Bean, they try to sell a better quality product, as opposed to a lesser quality item for less money.

Even out here in sunny California, retailers are offering duck style shoes and boots. I own a pair that I keep back on the East Coast. Great shoes for bad weather.

Now that they're "fashion", maybe I could get a pair of Jordan Duck Boots and resell them on eBay.

Last edited:

camjr

Familiar Face
I've had my 8" LL Bean Maine Hunting Boots since 1985 when I went away to college. I needed something to deal with the snow that Lubbock, TX (Texas Tech University) received every year. I still use them as my hunting and foul weather boots. They've gone back to LL Bean to be resoled (new rubber bottoms) 3 times, and the leather uppers have become buttery soft after multiple treatments of Sno-Seal and Mink Oil through the years. I have no doubt these things will remain with me for years to come. They truly are one of the best clothing investments I've ever made.

Excuse the sorry iPhone pics and shaving gear in the background...

Cheers!

IMG_0531.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
When I was at Ca'lina, back in the mid-seventies, the low-cut version of the L.L. Bean Maine Hunting Boot was very popular. We called them beer waders. On Friday nights, when frat house parties really got rolling, a quarter inch of beer and various other fluids would accumulate on the house floor. It would soak through the leather soles of Bass Weejuns...so beer waders were more than a fashion statement.

AF

camjr

Familiar Face
When I was at Ca'lina, back in the mid-seventies, the low-cut version of the L.L. Bean Maine Hunting Boot was very popular. We called them beer waders. On Friday nights, when frat house parties really got rolling, a quarter inch of beer and various other fluids would accumulate on the house floor. It would soak through the leather soles of Bass Weejuns...so beer waders were more than a fashion statement.

AF

Mine performed admirably in that role back in the day as well. I guess they've grown up and matured through the years just like their owner...

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A bit of an update: they're breaking in nicely. You definitely need to obsess over fit!
Oh, and if you waterproof them with Snoseal, heat the snow seal, but don't put the boot too close to heat or a hairdryer or the Snoseal will turn black and splotchy.

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
Well said Butte!how many folks actually wear them for hunting?be it upland game,big game, slogging aroung in the woods with your walking stick and Zeiss bino`s.Being someone who does wear them for their intended purpose it seems out of place walking the streets of Greenwich Village dressed up like a hunter!

Well said Butte!how many folks actually wear them for hunting?be it upland game,big game, slogging aroung in the woods with your walking stick and Zeiss bino`s.Being someone who does wear them for their intended purpose it seems out of place walking the streets of Greenwich Village dressed up like a hunter!
Don't forget football games in the winter, travel in cold, rainy/snowy places and Ice Road Truckers! :)

Feraud

Bartender
Greenwich Village can seem like a jungle sometimes.. ;)

Doublegun

Practically Family
My LL Bean Hunting Boots. Bought them in August of 1973 at the LL Bean Store in Freeport. They have been back to Bean 3-4 times for new bottoms and at least once for patching. Honest wear over thousands of miles chasing quail, hunting deer, hunting grouse and fishing in a half-dozen states. Oh, and there was a period of 5-years in Boston chasing girls.

IMG_0257.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner