Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hurley Hats - by Hirsch the Hatter

Pancho65

New in Town
Hello,
This is my first post in the Fedora Lounge. There is some great knowledge Here. I'm hoping someone can tell me about these two hats. I just picked them up today. I have not been able to find any info about them on the web. If this link goes to the photobucket page, I'm only looking for info on the Hurley hats, not the Pendleton. Thanks in advance
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s863.photobucket.com/user/afgettler/embed/slideshow/Hats"></iframe>

Attachments

• HurleyBlack1.jpg
    HurleyBlack1.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 245
  • HurleyBlack2.jpg
    HurleyBlack2.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 213
  • HurleyBlack3.jpg
    HurleyBlack3.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 219
  • HurleyBlack4.jpg
    HurleyBlack4.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 211
  • HurleyBlack5.jpg
    HurleyBlack5.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 194
  • HurleyGray1.jpg
    HurleyGray1.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 194
  • HurleyGray2.jpg
    HurleyGray2.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 204
  • HurleyGray3.jpg
    HurleyGray3.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 197
  • HurleyGray4.jpg
    HurleyGray4.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 213
  • HurleyGray5.jpg
    HurleyGray5.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 211

Pancho65

New in Town
Hi everyone - I sent out emails to a few hat businesses I found on the web to see if anyone could give me any info. The below italicized text is what I received from someone on the east coast (I'm in Denver). These are great fedoras, and although larger sizes, they're too snug for me to wear. Also, the crowns are a little higher than I prefer. You'll probably see them on Ebay in the near future.

Hello!
What you have here are two very fine early to mid-1950's Fedoras. I'm not familiar with the Hurley name, but I can tell just from looking at the photo's that they are indeed very high quality. There is a possibility that they were made by a name brand for the store, like Dobbs or Cavanaugh judging by their styles and the store hid their name, as is typical of some department stores. I did a google search and found that its flagship location was in Camden NJ, and it closed down completely in 1956, making it the latest the hats were produced. With the condition they are in, and the fact that they are larger sizes, I'd value them at about $xx-$xxx from what I've seen on eBay/Etsy. If they fit you I say enjoy them! You won't find anything of that quality made today. Hope this info helps!

Hi Pancho, I see you haven't gotten many bites on your question. There seems to be a dearth of information on Hirsch the Hatter.

This thread has a Hirsch hat in it, but I don't think it's the same...

The design, construction style, atc. say 50s to me. Those back bows were somewhat popular at that time. Given the size and condition, you should get a decent price on eBay. Not as much as a "name" brand, but if you sell it right, you'll get some bites.

What is the brim width?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Hi everyone - I sent out emails to a few hat businesses I found on the web to see if anyone could give me any info. The below italicized text is what I received from someone on the east coast (I'm in Denver). These are great fedoras, and although larger sizes, they're too snug for me to wear. Also, the crowns are a little higher than I prefer. You'll probably see them on Ebay in the near future.

Hello!
What you have here are two very fine early to mid-1950's Fedoras. I'm not familiar with the Hurley name, but I can tell just from looking at the photo's that they are indeed very high quality. There is a possibility that they were made by a name brand for the store, like Dobbs or Cavanaugh judging by their styles and the store hid their name, as is typical of some department stores. I did a google search and found that its flagship location was in Camden NJ, and it closed down completely in 1956, making it the latest the hats were produced. With the condition they are in, and the fact that they are larger sizes, I'd value them at about $xx-$xxx from what I've seen on eBay/Etsy. If they fit you I say enjoy them! You won't find anything of that quality made today. Hope this info helps!

The information may be erroneous, as the son of Hirsch the Hatter provides some more information here that suggests possible later dates than 1956. Metro Felts - Styled in the Metropolis !! The backbow style was more popular closer to the end of the decade. Besides, I never trust anyone that can't correctly spell Cavanagh. :D

I agree that they are probably manufactured as a house brand by one of the large companies. Factory labels underneath the sweatband might give us more information.

Brad
~The Hatted Professor

Pancho65

New in Town
Hi Pancho, I see you haven't gotten many bites on your question. There seems to be a dearth of information on Hirsch the Hatter.

This thread has a Hirsch hat in it, but I don't think it's the same...

The design, construction style, atc. say 50s to me. Those back bows were somewhat popular at that time. Given the size and condition, you should get a decent price on eBay. Not as much as a "name" brand, but if you sell it right, you'll get some bites.

What is the brim width?
Thanks for the info and the advice. I'll post measurements an more specs in the near future.

Pancho65

New in Town
The information may be erroneous, as the son of Hirsch the Hatter provides some more information here that suggests possible later dates than 1956. Metro Felts - Styled in the Metropolis !! The backbow style was more popular closer to the end of the decade. Besides, I never trust anyone that can't correctly spell Cavanagh. :D

I agree that they are probably manufactured as a house brand by one of the large companies. Factory labels underneath the sweatband might give us more information.

Brad
~The Hatted Professor
Hi Brad,
Thanks for the link to the info and the link to Hirsch's son. I'll probably send him a PM. On another note, I'm respectfully not going to knock a guy who took the time to send me his opinion on the items, regardless of his spelling.

I see you're from my hometown, Pueblo, CO. I was born and raised in Pueblo and I'm a 1984 Wildcat. Do you remember Vic Bains store on the northeast corner of Northern and Abriendo? I loved going in that store when I was kid. He had some great vintage clothing stock. My dad has a couple of nice hats from his store, which closed years ago.

Pancho

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Hey Pancho,

Sorry, that was before my in Pueblo. I've only been here since 1999, with a three year exile in Utah thrown in there for good measure. I live in Bessemer, though, so I know the intersection! I grew up in Lakewood, west of Denver, and am a 1985 graduate of Green Mountain.

That was just a joke about Cavanagh spelling. It's one of my pet peeves as a keeper of the Cavanagh flame. It was good of him to provide you some research.

Brad
~The Hatted Professor

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the link. That store would have been something to see, with all that old merchandise. I live a block north of Bessemer Elementary(now Bessemer Academy) on Routt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy