Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hydro-Duck

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I picked this up at the thrift shop the other day. Newer than 1962, going by the patch. Reversible- buffalo plaid on the inside, red/orange canvas on the outside or vice versa. Game pouch. Clix zips. It's a really rugged jacket- looks like it has a few stories to tell.

I find it interesting that the label seems to imply hydroelectric instead of simply waterproof.
P1040809.jpg

P1040925.jpg

P1040926.jpg

P1040929.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Here's another shot- terrible picture of me, but it shows off the detail of the coat well. There's a pocket in the sleeve. The buttons up top by the collar are so the hood can be rolled up and buttoned down when not in use.
P1040843.jpg

I don't think they make coats quite like this, not anymore. I haven't had a chance to test its waterproofness. We're having some of the nicest weather we've had in months.

I really like the leather reinforcements on the pockets- reminds me of my earlier canvas mackinaws. The double quilted recoil pad-type reinforcements on the shoulders is a nice touch as well.

Navin323i

Practically Family
I'm really digging your jacket. Beautiful color too. Orange has always been one of my favorite colors... plus it's considered a holy color in India where my family is originally from. :)

Edward

Bartender
Pretty popular colour round the part of Ireland I'm from originally, too. Other areas, not so much. ;) lol If you told me 'orange coat' I'd not think much of the idea, but seeing it in the photos, it looks good. I can definitely imagine using something like that hillwalking and whatever; military greens are all very well, but should the worst happen the easier it is to find you the better....

FaceOfBoh

New in Town
I'm resurrecting this four-year-old post.

I found the same jacket just the other day. Deadstock condition (staples still in the pocket material like where a tag had been).

I think the one posted above is definitely post-1962 and pre-1977 (according to a Canadian trademark search, that's when the tm lapsed). I'd even narrow it down to around 1974 - 1977 (1974 being the year that bilingual labeling was legislated in Canada).

The one I found most likely pre-dates it since there is no French on the label. So most probably 1962 - 1973. What's really interesting to see is that it's exactly the same: there's been no evolution or finessing fn the design.

file-2180.jpg

file-999.jpg

file-1969.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I regret having sold mine to a friend.
The designs are similar, but with major differences. While yours has a band collar, mine had a hood with drawstring and snaps to form lapels, as well as gunpads on both shoulders. I saw a fair number of the band collar ones turn up at thrift shops in Halifax when I was living there- seems to have been a popular coat.

Here's another one by this company that sold recently. Similar, but again with slightly different details.

Last edited:

FaceOfBoh

New in Town
Thanks for those details and pics. (Sometimes I 'm too "big picture" so buffalo plaid + reversible + plus a few pertinent details = exact!). :)

This a great forum and lots of knowledge here!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy