Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I am embarassed to wear a fedora

Jake Sullivan

One of the Regulars
GentlemanFarmer said:
I have no problem wearing mine out and about. My wife is still getting used to the idea, but she'll adapt. I've only been wearing them since Feb. of this year, though I'm going to have to get a straw for warmer weather. Of course my hats are the "cowboy style" Open Roads with the front brim turned down, so they appear different from the usual fedora. I'm going to collect a few more in the more traditional style for when I'm not in boots and Wranglers. My daughter (who's 14) doesn't mind my OR out at the stables where she rides, but God forbid I have it on when I'm able to pick her up at school. I have to remind her it's my job to embarrass her in public lol lol .

I figure if I feel good wearing it ( I do ), what the hell.

:eusa_clap to true. my teen girls are embarrased of me too. I am doing my job as a father.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
"Of course my hats are the "cowboy style" Open Roads with the front brim turned down, so they appear different from the usual fedora."

You may be interested to know that the brim widths on the Open Roads are essentially the same as common dress fedoras. The only real difference is the cattleman's bach in the crown. They're a very versatile hat. It appears to me based on discussions here that there is little difference between an Open Road and a Stratoliner other than the pin in the ribbon on the Strat.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
221b said:
At first you do feel a little self conscience about wearing a dress hat. Now, I could care less.:eusa_clap I know people stare. Half are jealous they dont have the cajones to wear one, the other half are just rift-raft any way happily wearing their velour track suits with "juicy" on their bum.lol
I know for me, starting to wear hats, it just feels weird right now, cause I've NEVER wore a hat before, so it's on the strange side, but I really do love the look, it's just getting used to having something on top of my noggin :D with other people, I think a lot actually do approve of hat wearing, I've found the comments are worse for those who actually have known you for awhile...they seem to have the hardest time with the new look!

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Embarrassed to wear a hat eh? That's kind of funny. My old man got skin cancer on his face. Half his face was removed then surgically reconstructed. He was too embarrassed to go anywhere but the hard wear store. That is a reason to be embarrassed. A hat is a preventative measure. Wear it, and sunscreen, with pride knowing you are doing the right thing for you and your family. No one needs to go threw that. Take the appropriate measures. Fedora, cowboy, panama, Tilley, doesn't matter as long as you wear one.
Johnny

johnnycanuck said:
Embarrassed to wear a hat eh? That's kind of funny. My old man got skin cancer on his face. Half his face was removed then surgically reconstructed. He was too embarrassed to go anywhere but the hard wear store. That is a reason to be embarrassed. A hat is a preventative measure. Wear it, and sunscreen, with pride knowing you are doing the right thing for you and your family. No one needs to go threw that. Take the appropriate measures. Fedora, cowboy, panama, Tilley, doesn't matter as long as you wear one.
Johnny

Now that is a real wake up call. Sometimes we forget that hats are utilitarian as well as stylish haberdashery. The top article of clothing that prevents skin cancer---that and not laying out in the sun roasting like a turkey. :eek: I could never understand that.
I heard about a study on the radio a few days ago. The researchers discovered that people of lighter complexions need no more than 8-10 minutes in the sun to receive the benefits of sunlight. Darker complexions could go up to twenty minutes. I am sure we all go out in the sun far longer than that everyday. ;) Get a hat on after your alloted time. :cheers1:

Regards to all,

J

skwerl-hat

One of the Regulars
ive noticed with myself at least if i view myself confidantly while im in my hat the comments can be so easily laughed off and forgotten but if i allow self consciousness to creep in then i feel like a freak when i get google eyes :-D

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I always try to have a ready smart-@ssed reply...

... for just such negativity. Something on the order of "Yeah my dumb-@ssed turned backward ball cap is at the cleaners" or some such... :rolleyes: ]

... okay, not too witty, but undeniably smart-@ssedlol

ledsled

One of the Regulars
good feedback

This posting has gotten a lot of traffic, and a lot of varied replies. It is interesting to see how people feel about wearing their hats. Since we were not born with hats on our heads.... (yeah, I know those little stretchy caps infants wear, but you know what I mean).... there was a conscious decision in everyone's life when we chose to put on a hat. Why?

That urge hit some people at a young age, and others in mid-life or later.

To some it instantly feels good, and for some it takes a while to get used to.... but for everyone reading in this forum, there was something motivating them to start wearing a hat.

Trying to figure out what makes people tick (including myself!) has always fascinated me. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to write their thoughts.

As far as comments go, I have not really gotten any negative ones yet. I've been teased a few times by people who know me.... harmless "Indiana Jones" comments. Heck, if someone thinks I look like Harrison Ford, I'll take that as a compliment! With people on the street, I have been surprised by spontaneous comments from some women.... all complimentary. :rolleyes:

The health benefit is a good comeback, because it is true. Thanks for that, for I'll store it in away and may use it someday if I run into a wise-a$$.:eusa_clap

Raindog

One of the Regulars
Reasons to start wearing hats? Because my head looks like a vague egg with biro scribbled on it.....It needed something to perk it up!
Also found out how great felt is. I don't really like hats made of anything else....
And the fedora style is great. Looks good with most clothes, makes a man look cool and a woman look sexy;)
And the Indiana Jones effect got me going too. Made me want a hat that could take a clobbering and come up smiling.
I could go on and on.....They're just great objects:eusa_clap

Jeff.

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Hey raindog !
The hat in your avatar looks cool - what is it ? You have the same hat size as me ! ( or should that be "I have the same hat size as you" ? ) whatever ..... Here in Birmingham there isn't one store that sells mens hats - not of any quality or recognised make anyway. I'll be in London in a few weeks time and plan to visit Locks the hatters and maybe a couple of others. I'll be buying a fedora and even if I don't get to feel comfortable wearing it on an everyday basis, I do go to the odd '40s event so it won't be money wasted. I'm in the process of having a suit made ( see my post in Suits ) and as it's a D/B pinstripe I can imagine all the 'Al Capone' type comments if I wore it out with a fedora !!!

Fortino37

Familiar Face
Why I wear a Fedora

It's funny the different reasons that make us to put a fedora over our heads,
my reason is not clear, I always admire those old movies where the people wore suits and hats and wonder why nobody dress like that?
Since I was a child, liked to wear suits and tie, but was until 1990 that I found in a magazine an Indiana Jones hat that can be ordered by mail.
That hat was hung from a hook for days before I decide to wear it, the first time was very strange, usually my head where clear even from base ball caps, Had to accept that was not easy, many people on the street shouts me thigs like -Hey Capone!!- or - Look there is Elliot Ness!!- (I was 19 then)
But I decide to use that hat and nothig will stop me.
One night two friends and me decide to go to a Disco-bar, they bougth their covers but the guy at the entrance says to me:- Sorry but you can not pass with that hat- I asked him why, - It's not allowed here to wear hats-.
I feel terrible, my friends looked at me and returns his tickets.
-Let's go - said one of them - Will found another place -
That reaction makes me feel great, they could ask me to leave the hat in the car, but they didn't, those guys are still my best friens.
My family thought that my liking for fedoras will pass soon, but not.
Today 16 years later, at 35 feel uncomplete leaving home without a hat, feel it as a part of me, now the people on the street stop me to ask where did I found the hat I am wearing or just to say a compliment about my look.
Why I wear hats? the answer is simple: Just because I feel great and comfortable.

normal_PICT0171%7E0.jpg

Anybody can wear a base ball cap, but not everybody has the courage to wear a fedora
Fortino Barragan

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Fortino37,

That's homburg in the pic, isn't it. It looks great - the whole look is working for you. Hope you found another bar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24