Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I attended a Mad Men Party and I found something very shocking.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
As the title states, I attended a Mad Men party, which I do not yet have photos for because I didn't take any as there was a professional photographer there.

Anyways, the whole set up was very nice, it was in a relatively new ballroom, but there was a live band playing sixties hits. Everyone was trying there best to dress authentically (these are people who rarely wear suits) I saw lots of skinny ties and cats eye glasses, some people were even wearing vintage outfits.

And the greatest thing of all, the thing that made me smile ear to ear, was that over and over I heard people say...

"This is so much fun! Everyone looks great! Why don't we do this more often?"

Wonders never cease huh?

I'm wondering what special magic made the night so memorable for people. What caused them to dress up at all? And how in the heck can I make them do it again???

Anyone have any thoughts?

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Thats really great, I really love the 60s fashions probably better than any other though really I am a leather jacket and jeans guy. The Italian style sharp suits for the men and neat haircuts, but it's the women that make it WoW for me.
Bouffant hairdo's high heels and those tight tight skirts and dresses.
Just a word of warning though. If organising another party, dont make it too soon and not a regular thing. I know from experience that something like every month can lead to a "What shall we do tonight? There's so much on" type of thing, whereas if it is say every 4 or 6 months gives people who are not 100% into this sort of thing something to look forward to and prepare for.
Another thing is not to nit pick anyone who gets the look slightly wrong, yes it happens and it ruins peoples evenings, it can be frustrating but as long as everyone enjoys themselves that is the main thing. Getting all the era correct accessories will eventually come naturally to separate the enthusiasts from the dresser uppers.
Good luck, wish I was coming.
John

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
I think the Mad Men T.V. series is responsible for awakening a huge interest in fashion, lifestyle etc. I hope it's not a short lived phenomena.
Now we need a series from both the 30's and the 40's to peak viewer's interest.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Its funny you say that. A couple of years ago I did a Mad Men themed party. Booked the back room at a local martini bar and got them to play a mix I made of late 1950s and early 1960s jazz favorites. About 80% of the people did make an effort to dress up, in particular the women. Some spent serious time with their hair and look and looked great. Guys a little less so. But on the whole we looked great we and had a blast! A couple of guys who've lived in Hawaii for too long did not dress up at all and when they came to the party were a little shocked that everyone else dressed up. One couple actually came from the beach in T-shirts and shorts... (oh well, Don in California theme?) "Wow you guys actually dressed up?"

However, people had a fun time because, well it was different. People also asked the question your party goers asked, "Why don't we do this more often?"

Its a worse problem in Hawaii. People here really do not like dressing for a party, Halloween is not a big deal with anyone over 10. People throw theme parties often but no one, and I mean NO ONE dresses up with the theme. One place a couple of years ago did a Kennedy-esque "Camelot theme" and asked people to come in boat shoes, khakis, etc. (not too hard an outfit to assemble) like you were with Jack and Jackie on vacation at Cape Cod. No one dressed up. Rather depressing.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
For a theme to work, it really does need at least most people to make the effort, I agree... I've long wanted to have a M*A*S*H themed night, but really for it to work at all it would absolutely have to have everyone in at least some approximation of the uniform greens, surgical whites, or whatever. I'm sure one or two guys would opt for the OTT Carmen Miranda drag, of course, which would be entirely appropriate. ;)

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Chasseur,
I think you hit the nail on the head... folks don't dress up here either, and it was so different for them they all had a blast. I can only hope this is a start of a new trend here in Juneau.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
For a theme to work, it really does need at least most people to make the effort, I agree... I've long wanted to have a M*A*S*H themed night, but really for it to work at all it would absolutely have to have everyone in at least some approximation of the uniform greens, surgical whites, or whatever. I'm sure one or two guys would opt for the OTT Carmen Miranda drag, of course, which would be entirely appropriate. ;)

Who you gonna find to play Capt. Walter Koskiusko "Painless Pole" Waldowski, DDS??

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Chasseur,
I think you hit the nail on the head... folks don't dress up here either, and it was so different for them they all had a blast. I can only hope this is a start of a new trend here in Juneau.

I hear you I grew up mostly in Fairbanks (with some time in Anchorage and Juneau) and dressing up in Alaska normally means you put on a sweater.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Chassuer's not kidding, I get weird looks if I'm wearing regular shoes and not extra tough mud boots.

Anyone else care to share their success with themed parties?

I am thinking of throwing one in a few months... we'll see how that goes.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I get weird looks if I'm wearing regular shoes and not extra tough mud boots.

Yep, those are the Southeast Alaska staple footwear: Xtra Tufs!
xtra%20tuf.jpg

In the interior where I lived it was Sorel boots.

sorel-boots.jpg

You inspired me to find some photos from that party, sorry to hijack:
402493533.jpg

402493531.jpg

402493532.jpg

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Not at all Chass,

I still don't have photos from the Mad Men event... and folks, yes, those brown ugly boots are what people where everywhere in Juneau. When I ask folks why they're wearing them they reply, it's Alaska... when they're in a coffee shop... downtown... on a dry day.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
when they're in a coffee shop... downtown... on a dry day.

Ha! :DVery, very true Mr. Vim. That's Alaska!

Just as an aside (and a larger hijack), my feeling from my time in the Southeast (Juneau, Ketchikan, Craig, etc.) is that the Xtra Tufs is a bit like the Aloha shirt here in Hawaii. Its that way that people who have moved to the place in the past 5-10 show to others (both long time locals and particularly new arrivals) that they are local and have adapted. Then they get to sort of lord it over the newbies, "Oh I see you do not wear Xtra-Tufs/Aloha shirts. Well everyone does here, lose the dress shoes/coat and it, otherwise you'll never fit in.' A familly friend who had moved to Craig some years ago used to always warn us when we went there to hunt and fish, "You need to get a pair of Xtra Tufs, otherwise you'll slip and die on the rocks!" Well lets just say my "normal rubber boots" did just fine everytime...

Sorry sorry for the rambling but your post filled me with a little Alaska nostalgia...

Last edited:

Mr. Hallack

One of the Regulars
Seems like the 1960's was the last decade of classy clothing. You have a 70's or 80's themed party and it's just gonna look like a goofy halloween party. 90's theme would be as bad though.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
That's just the thing! My wool coats and trousers are warmer and better suited to these climates! The locals wear extra toughs sure, but they then wear jeans and hooded sweatshirts! No sense at all I says!

Mr. Hallack has a good point, any themed party would be not as fun after the 60s... I am still really considering doing a 1950s party.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats