Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I did ! I found the perfect hat for me !

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
hey all,

I don't participate much in here but i'm a definite lurker :p

I bought that Fléchet hat yesterday from a local hat shop.

tWhHrzm.jpg

I was looking from a trilby not made from paper, nor straw, nor polyester.
I was also looking for something not just for the beach but also something I could wear when going to work for example, without being "too dressed up" if you see what I mean.

I stumble upon this one made by the French brand Fléchet. Apparently it was made in Italy. OK it's not the ultra hyper great quality but it's made of linen and a good thing : it's the first hat which does not make me sweat at all!. Since the brand isn't very much developed since it was bought by SaintJacques few years ago, the website looks outdated. I do not know whether this hat is from their latest models or not (I believe so since it was displayed on the store window)

I bought it for 45-50 euros... so that's about $65. My only regret today is to not having bought an extra one (you know, just in case ... )

Anyways, just thought I'd share this with you guys

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Congrats on finding a hat! It's such a great feeling to be wearing a lid that you love, so enjoy it, and wear it in good health.

A

Mr.Astor

Banned
Fedoracentric, you really give me a good laugh!! I'm serious you never disappoint me! I always enjoy your comments,keep up the good work:

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
well I'm sensing some snobbish comment. No problem for me.
Sure it's not made out of fur, or leather, not is it handmade in Guatemala with over expensive...straw... but if it's important to feel comfortable wearing a hat, it's also important to be sure not be completely out of place where you live...In fact it should be part of the etiquette.
It's not because someone feels happy being naked at home that he/she will walk naked downtown...thanks god!

Mr.Astor

Banned
Guillaumab- don't take it personal! Like I told my son when I was raising him, "if everybody was alike the whole world would be in love with your Mother" wear it proudly! Although I wouldn't wear it in Brooklyn HA!

Edward

Bartender
I'm intrigued by the use of linen in a brimmed hat. This is the first one I've seen that's not quite 'Western' or bush hat in style.

fedoracentric

Banned
I have to plead guilty to a backhanded compliment... but seriously, if you like it, guillaumeb, that really is all that counts. Wear it in good health and declassé fashion. As Mr. Astor alluded, it's all you, baby.

I mean, let's face it. Many people think wearing a fedora at all is the height of silliness!

So, we can all be silly together her eon The Lounge.

Guillaumeb, I think it's a great hat, and thanks for posting! The Flechet is styled for the European market I am guessing. The American cowboys around here like their wider brims! You may have a point about some of the "hat snobs" on the Lounge, but really only a rare few are entitled to be snobs. The rest of us are snob-wannabes, so far as our hats go.

jkingrph

Practically Family
Please do not take comments as snobbish. Although not my style, I did start by wearing cloth hats, mostly more casual Tilley types, and then graduated to straw and felt.

As for overly expensive straw, some are some are not, and they are really made from the same straw. It's just that the more expensive models are woven, by hand, from much smaller strands of straw. I tend to go the cheaper , more coarse weaves because they breathe better in my opinion. I do notice one thing though, the finer weaves are much softer and more flexible, not that any of mine are in the mid to expensive price range.

If you like it enjoy, don't worry about the opinion of others.

Guillaumeb, my brother-in-law has a similar hat and has the panache to bring it off. He puts it on and wears it like royalty and it looked so good that I asked him if I could try it on. He reluctantly agreed, and it turned out I looked like I had been on an all night drunk in Sherwood Forest with Robin Hood! (I forgot to mention he is French, which explains the "panache" part.) Though to be fair, put him in a "cowboy hat" and he looks like a mushroom.
Glad you found a hat that suits you. Wear it in good health!

Last edited:
Ole all opinions are valid, (IMHO!) but my grandmother used to tell us "if you don't have anything nice to say, it's better to say nothing."

Over the years, though, I have adopted the Alice Longworth Roosevelt version, "if you don't have anything nice to say, come sit by me!"

fedoracentric

Banned
...all opinions are valid...
That's a bit too nihilistic for me to accept as a blanket claim. Some opinions are like that orifice everyone also has in that old saying. Some opinions are just plain wrong!

But, we are talking about hats, of course, so "all opinions are valid" works there, at least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo