Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I don't get a Gildersleeve actor reference

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Some of you might know that I'm nuts about 1946.
Since I've collected movies, radio shows, cartoons, etc. from that time period it helps me get some of the references in the media.
For instance I just bought some Jack Benny shows. In one they make a joke about "Oh really?", "No, O"Riley" which was a running joke on Danny Kaye's show in 1946.
I was listening to an episode of the "Great Gildersleeve" from January of 1946. The young people like an actor named Bink Stevens that is suppose to be cool and wears his hat on the side of his head. Gildy takes his date to see a movie starring Bink called Kiss Me Hello. He's suppose to be very romantic but when you hear him on screen he has an absolutely flat delivery. It seemed like it was suppose to be a parody of someone but I have no idea who.
Has anyone else heard this episode? Do you know who is parodied? Is this a question for Lizzie maine?

Sincerely,
The Wolf

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I suspect the parody is intended to be Van Johnson, who was the bobby-soxer screen idol of the mid-forties. He was known for his breezy screen personality, but wasn't exactly considered an especially sophisticated actor.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Thank you, Lizziemaine, I thought you might have an answer. The is mentioned as being like Van Johnson. I remember him with Lucille Ball in Easy To Wed, a remake of The Libeled Lady. Why do they keep remaking great movies into so-so movies?:rage:

dhermann1, you're further proof that good things came out in 1946.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points