Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I don't know if I should thank you guys...

caffeinated

New in Town
or curse you!

Kidding, of course!

Like many others, I stumbled on this forum while searching for info on the "perfect" leather jacket. I'm always amazed that so many other people share my obsessions. I found Watchuseek.com while looking for a new watch, that place has cost me a small fortune too!

In any case, I just wanted to introduce myself and say "Thanks!" for all the great info and ideas for my next great purchase.

My name is Steve, I'm a Sergeant First Class in the U.S. Army currently deployed to a little forward operating base in Afghanistan. Not long ago we put in satellite internet and I've been killing time researching the motorcycle I want to buy and the jacket that will round out my little collection. (The front runner in the motorcycle category is the Triumph Thunderbird SE.)

I have a couple of nice black leather jackets for riding, the next one will be brown HH... or maybe black HH. For sure it will have a bi-swing back... maybe. See, this is where the cursing comes in! You guys have given me so much to think about, and so many wonderful examples of the little customizations you've made to your jackets, I keep changing my mind on what I want.

I'll tell you this though, I really appreciate the distraction. I'm no grunt, so I'm not out kicking down doors here, I'm the Motor Sergeant for an Engineer company. But I've got kids, mostly early 20's, to take care of and a lot of work to do with pretty limited resources. So it's plenty stressful, and it's nice to have a "problem" like designing the perfect leather jacket.

I'm through about 90 pages of old posts on this forum and still going. I wouldn't have the time or inclination to do that if I had found this forum back home, but it's been worth it. Most of my questions have been answered in old posts. I'm waiting to get home so I can measure my other jackets before I really start making decisions. I know I want a fitted jacket with zip-sleeves and a collar. My other jackets are cafe style without the fold-over collar. One is Harley branded, another is a Fox Creek cafe style jacket that they don't offer any longer. I also have a MotoGP branded leather jacket in perforated leather with armor.

There are Schott's and Vanson's and others that I really like, but I love the idea of customizing an Aero, and I've been convinced the FQHH is the way to go, so it'll probably be an Aero next. Right now I'm thinking a Cafe Racer with a button-down HG-5 style collar. Or an HG-5 with zip-sleeves... The question is really: which base jacket?

I plan to post up some photos of my other jackets when I get home to get some help with fit. That'll be in a couple of months. Until then, I'll be lurking around, soaking up the ideas. I just wanted to say, Thanks!

And Merry Christmas! (If you celebrate it.)

Steve

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Steve,
Welcome to the forums and Merry Christmas.
Thanks for serving and helping protect us all back here.
Even though most Americans don't say it often enough,
we all support and love our soldiers.
Your decision to get a HH jacket is a great plan; and Aero probably uses the best FQHH going.
I love my Highwayman and it fits like a glove.
However, I'm also a big fan of Vanson.
In many ways, I like my Enfield as much as or better than my Aero.
Always wear it while riding (I'm also a Triumph man, currently a Speed Triple)
The Cow Hide they use is exceptional and quite a bit thicker and heavier than Aero's FQHH.
Plus, I believe you can customize parts of their jackets too.
Anyway, you're on the right track.
Let us know what you decide on.
Lenny

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Steve, I know exactly how you feel. This forum will cause you to want to buy all kinds of stuff!

Thanks for serving and keeping us here in the US safe! What's the weather like in Afghanistan right now?

Windward

Practically Family
Welcome Steve to one of the finest lounge. Merry Christmas to you - and good luck and health for your family and unit!
I like to share our/your obsession and have to admit I also have had many "problems" to designing the "perfect leather jacket"!
Enjoy your "problem" and the result!!!
Thanks

Last edited:

glynb

New in Town
Merry Christmas,

Thank You for your service, and come home safe! This is a great place for all your research on vintage jackets.

glynb

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Welcome, Steve, from a strong supporter of our troops.

I can be of no help to you about a jacket because for me, as long as its thick enough leather, and has a sealable, stand up collar, I'll ride in it.

TJC

New in Town
Welcome Steve. I feel I need to warn you. The very short time I have been here has made it addictive. So watch out? Merry Xmas! :D

Graemsay

Practically Family
The Cafe Racer is (I believe) a slightly longer and closer fitting jacket than the HG-5. It really depends on what you prefer.

However, as you're looking at Thunderbirds, have you seen the Storm?

Overview_Thunderbird_Storm_510x347.jpg

I saw one at Intermot in October, and I much prefer it to the standard model.

caffeinated

New in Town
Thanks to all of you for your kind words and encouragement!

I'm not an NBA star... lol.
The weather here is cold, to me. It drops below freezing at night and warms up to the low 50's (F) during the day. I am located on the desert plain south and west of Kandahar. No snow, thankfully.

And I have looked at the Thunderbird Storm, but I want the floorboards and other touring bits that come with the SE. My previous bike was the Thruxton, which I loved, but I'm ready to get back on a cruiser and strike out on some longer rides.

Steve

Last edited:

caffeinated

New in Town
I'm going to make another post here just to let some of these thoughts out of my head... air them out, so to speak. And I apologize for babbling on, I have been thinking about these things for a long time with no outlet. Get out now if you are not up for a long-winded, excruciatingly detailed discussion of my leather jacket thoughts! lol.

So I used to believe I could find the one perfect thing. Like the one perfect leather jacket for any and all occasions. Or the one perfect watch, or motorcycle, briefcase, duffel bag, pair of boots, etc... I've come to accept that I can't do that. Life is too complicated for one perfect anything for all occasions, and variety is the spice of life, etc...

However I do want the minimum number possible when it comes to leather jackets, at least. Really only because I want to wear them and have that bond, build the memories and so forth. It's the same reason I wore my (relatively) expensive watch to Afghanistan, to have that memory associated with that item. There are few things I'll hold on to from this deployment. Unfortunately there is no modern equivalent to the A-2 jacket. Everything we are issued is basically disposable quality, I don't see any of it lasting long enough to become "vintage."

So I have the three leather motorcycle jackets that I mentioned before, plus a mesh jacket with armor for extreme hot weather. I would like to get down to a black and a brown leather, plus the mesh. I don't know if I can do that though. The jackets I have already have some memories associated with them.

The Harley jacket has been with me the longest, about 7 years. It's got a good 40K miles on it and it fits perfectly. Now years ago I got rid of the "Harley" logo on the back. (I sold the Harley and bought the Thruxton. Never buy logo gear!) Took the leather Harley patch right off. I covered the area with a U.S. flag patch because the leather under the old patch was terrible looking. They'd glued the patch on before sewing it.

I don't think I'll be able to get rid of that jacket, but I can't be satisfied with it because it's a little louder than I am, if you follow me. I'm toying with making it a true "biker" jacket, although I'm far from a biker. But I might add more patches to it and wear it when I'm in the mood to be loud. You never know...

The plain black leather jacket I have is the Fox Creek. Can't fault the quality, really. Very heavy leather, but dull, matte black. I had the arm lining replaced with a satin type because the original lining was rough against my skin when I wore a short-sleeve shirt. The sleeves are also cut pretty full, they just feel big. The one nagging problem I have with it as well is that the wind blows right through the zipper. Never had that problem with the Harley branded jacket. I really wonder who made it?
I'm sure I'll keep the Fox Creek, or give it to my son, who is looking for his first bike.

Which leads to Aero. I'm looking forward to the process of designing the jacket and ordering it. I'm fairly certain it'll be based on the cafe racer. I want the collar though, and I'm thinking about getting the diagonal slash pocket from the Route 66 on the right side. That'll be the Ipod pocket.

Up in the air still are questions like do I want side pull tabs? That would really just be for looks. Black or brown? Black is the motorcycle color, but I have black. Plus I want this jacket to pull additional duty as a casual jacket, in fact, I see this as mostly a casual jacket. Which puts a different spin on things really. Would a zip-sleeve Highwayman or HG5 be a more versatile brown casual jacket, but still give me the ability to wear it on the bike? Then the black cafe racer could follow.

How about leather weight? That's a whole other issue! :eeek:
One of the reasons I don't wear my Fox Creek as a casual jacket is the weight (and the puffy sleeves.) But I want the experience of the FQHH, plus the look, so what to do? As I tell my troops: Suck it up, buttercup! lol.

I'll be eagerly watching the choices and updates you folks post up while trying to answer these questions. If you've stuck around this long, thanks for listening. I'd be interested to hear some of the logic that lead you to your particular choices in jacket details and leather weight, etc... and how they worked out in real life. Particularly, how do you feel about FQHH as a daily wearing coat? If the look were the same, would you prefer a lighter weight?

Everything helps.
Steve

Dav

One Too Many
Hi Steve
I personally find Aeros FQHH to be totally wearable as a daily jacket, not to stiff not to heavy, in fact for my second Aero I went for their steerhide as I wanted to try something even heavier, which it is. But still very wearable IMO. I know a lot of people say the FQHH is too stiff an too heavy but I can't see what all the fuss is about, to me it just isn't.
Nick

Graemsay

Practically Family
Amanda advised using Aero's Front Quarter Horsehide for a motorcycle jacket. Whilst it is initially stiff, it softens up relatively quickly. The weight isn't an issue once it's on.

It terms of protection, I'm trying to find out if Aero can offer submerged stitching. Ideally a motorcycle jacket should have a couple of extra seams hidden under the leather.

For example, this is a single-stitched seam, and you don't want it because it's more likely to fail when sliding down the road. (The thread could abrade, and then break, exposing you to the asphalt.)

Stitch%208.jpg

A much better idea is to have two rows of covered stitches, which are protected by the leather.

Stitch%205.jpg

See this page for more details.

As for Triumphs, the Thunderbird SE is simply the standard bike with lots of extras bolted on. You can play with the configurator here if you want to add or removed individual parts.

IMO..what is prefered for motorcycle riding is a personal thing. Many want all the protection that can be provided even if that means much less comfort...heat..restriction in movement...etc. Other's preferences may find comfort as very important..especially on longer rides. Here in the states it is very evident on the road. Some only throw a leg over if suited in heavy leather..armored...full faced..gloved..and steel toe booted up. Then there are those on the other end of the spectrum in sandals..shorts...sleeveless Ts..shades..and sunscreen. Hopefully without starting a "foolish" or 'Safety' thread...I probably fall somewhere in the middle or leaning more toward comfort.
I do ride much of spring summer and fall each year. I own quite a few Aero FQHH jackets for streetwear. Several years ago I found an Aero traditional style MC in Hvy FQHH on eBay in brand new condition. I purchased it as an ultimate hardcore classic MC jacket. After breaking it in..somewhat...I decided to wear it on a longer MC trip for final break-in. After returning late at night..I was unusually tired and quite sore. I had struggled with the Hvy FQ all day from daylight to late night. I'm just not used to riding with such discomfort..and didn't enjoy it a bit. That's another key point for me..'enjoying the ride'. So..I whussed out and traded it with Aero for a nice hvy FQHH street jacket and didn't look back. 'For me' there are a lot better more comfortable leather MC jackets built for the dedicated rider than Aero's hvy FQHH for use on a continuous basis. Perhaps their 'vintage'FQHH would be better suited. I have that hide in a HalfBelt..but haven't tried it on the Harley. Again..'for me'..it's the riding position...and movement on the bike that is quite different than driving a car..or walking down the street and moving around. For protection..I suppose Aero's hvy FQHH is great...but for comfort...seems you'd hafta suffer through major break-in to get it to that sweet spot for MC riding. Love em for streetwear..not so much for enjoying two wheeling.
HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo