Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I feel like I should be on "What Not to Wear"

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
Yea, I'd probably have to go with my mom, although my boyfriend is pretty cool about the girly things. Especially retro things and especially if he can see me wear them. My people kinda hate shopping with me though because I am so picky lol.

I actually went shopping at Target with him this weekend (window shopping), and I tried on a bunch of things. He sat there waiting for me while I tried on about oh, 16 items or more. Sadly, my shoulders got broader since the last time I shopped, so things that fit me around my belly didn't fit my shoulders. I was pretty bummed about that and it made me remember another reason why I wanted to sew my own clothes. I did see what you guys mean about the clothes there having potential to have that classic look to them. I felt good looking in the mirror, but then again it felt bleh because they didn't quite fit me.

All of this talk has got me wanting to join the American Sewing Guild. I am trying to figure out if it is worth it. There are workshops and programs here in town for it. My family says I should join especially because there are lots of people who probably know more about sewing than I do. I am also going to try working on that halter again with a fresh look at it. I hope it goes well!

Elaina

One Too Many
ASG is supposed to be awesome, I personally am rather ugh on them after a year of trying to find out if the meetings were being held still a block from my house (they're not) and had to pull in the Maryland president to get the info for me. If I move to MD or go to Waco, I'll join, but I'm really tepid on it here in DFW. Your neck of the woods has some good people in their groups tho.

I'd give it a try! I'm the only one I know who sews, other then the little old ladies I run into. ("Oh my goodness! My MOTHER had that (or grandmother or self) back in (whatever year it was)!") But nothing like a sewing cirlce type thing. In my apartment, I'm the ONLY one who sews and I have a gaggle of women come knocking on my door once a week to see what I've made.

Elaina

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
Well that's cool. I hope the one here is good. They have workshops I can attend even if I'm not a member - for 5 bucks more than a member pays for a workshop (they pay 15). And it's 2 bucks per program. I'm not exactly sure what the difference is between a program and a workshop, but I think I may sit in on one, one of these days.

I sort of know a few people who sew, but have lost contact with them and they couldnt ever show me anything (they are busy busy people) We just talked about dresses. Now that I don't talk to them much, I really feel alone in that area of my life.

Now I'm thinking of saving my money and investing in a 200 dollar presser foot kit including a handbook. I'm always amazed at the presser feet which would help me immensely - hemming foot, binding foot, piping foot and a gathering foot. After I buy this pack, I'll join ASG, or meanwhile I'll sit in on a workshop. It might take me 2-4 weeks to get the pack and I will be saving 101 dollars. Then I'll get my ironing tools and some serger feet. Tonight I will be working on my boyfriend's shirt and hopefully I will finally understand how to set a sleeve with slight cap ease.

Elaina

One Too Many
Sleeves..ew. Not my favorite thing. Well next to habd sewing. I baste the sleeves in and work my ease in that way THEN sew them on. I *knock on wood* set perfect sleeves every time that way.

You can got to 2 ASG meetings for free too, before becoming a member, so there is also that.

Elaina

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
I heard about setting sleeves that way, but it scares me, lol. I guess I just have to try it :) I'm such the procrastinator when I am intimidated.

I just looked up, and here we can go to 3 meetings before joining. I'm hoping to join soon, as I am working more often now. And I shall be ordering my presserfeet *hopefully* by next week, or soon thereafter.

I am also planning on buying tracing paper soon so that I can fit patterns before I make them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy