Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I flew in a B-17!

Tux Toledo

One of the Regulars
The Collings Foundation flew their restored B-17, B-24, B-25 and P-51 into Moffett Field Friday and I had a chance to fly in the B-17. I've posted a couple of pics on my website with more to come:
http://www.thelovablerogue.com/wings.html

My Dad maintained the guns on bombers and fighters in the Pacific and I had an uncle who was a tail gunner in a B-17 stationed in England. That's why I chose the B-17, although I really want to fly in the B-24.

You really get an appreciation for what the crews went through when you tour and fly in these planes. I really cannot comprehend how they did it.

Tux

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Congratulations TT! It's a thrilling and unforgettable experience. We should start a "brotherhood" of warbird riders. I've had the opportunity to fly in 'Sentimental Journey' twice now (tailgunner & bombardier) and I can say that it is a delight to the senses in every way. It is my hope to check-out in the left seat of the 'Big Bird' before I check-out permanently!

I have had a thing for that airplane since the days of 'Twelve O'Clock High' on TV and the reading of Bert Stiles 'Serenade To The Big Bird' in 1968. I began flying a year later, myself.

Now the question becomes; Did you take any pictures?!

-dixon cannon

Tux Toledo

One of the Regulars
Check out the link in my post for a couple of pictures. I'll be posting more later.

It was hot, noisy, and smelly, but it was great! I feel a very strong connection to these planes and I still can't get the grin off my face. Even though we were only in the air for 30 minutes, those of us on the plane still managed to develop a special bond. It was an experience I'll never forget.

Tux

MD11

Familiar Face
that's great, thanks for sharing.

The crews of that war endured hardships unknown to todays airforce pilots, that's for sure.

Mr.Microphone

Familiar Face
I got to go up in "Liberty Belle" about a month ago. It was an amazing experience. I still grin from ear to ear when I look through the pictures. The tour is going to be in Livermore this upcoming weekend. I might try to go up in the 24. Glad you got a chance to go up. I think I created a monster when I got my girlfriend to go up with me. She keeps asking me when we can go up again. Now I just need to win the lottery :)

You gotta love the smell of aviation fuel and the sound of radials!!!

Creeping Past

One Too Many
That's some trip! Great pics. Any "Memphis Belle"-style footage/poses available yet? Were you up front or situated elsewhere? And all those questions...

:eek:fftopic: Although I'm a long-time fan of the old warbirds, I have to admit my head was turned a couple of years ago while watching a B1B display. As it turned into a flyspeck in a suspiciously short time, part of my imagination went with it.

Tux Toledo

One of the Regulars
Once we were airborne we were allowed to go everywhere on the plane except for the tail gun area (they were using it for storage). The walk way through the bomb bay is pretty tight! I was strapped in behind the pilot for takeoff - no seat, just a pad against the bulkhead and the plywood floor. No windows, just the view out the gun turret overhead. I was able to look back and up and watch the pilots go through their pre-flight check and manipulate the controls as we took off. Simply amazing stuff.

I'm so tempted to go back and fly in the B-24 before they leave later this week but it is a bit pricy even though the fare is tax deductable. It really is addictive. I'll probably go back and do the tour of the aircraft again since I work right next to the airfield.

Hondo

One Too Many
Tux Toledo said:
Once we were airborne we were allowed to go everywhere on the plane except for the tail gun area (they were using it for storage). The walk way through the bomb bay is pretty tight! I was strapped in behind the pilot for takeoff - no seat, just a pad against the bulkhead and the plywood floor. No windows, just the view out the gun turret overhead. I was able to look back and up and watch the pilots go through their pre-flight check and manipulate the controls as we took off. Simply amazing stuff.

I'm so tempted to go back and fly in the B-24 before they leave later this week but it is a bit pricy even though the fare is tax deductable. It really is addictive. I'll probably go back and do the tour of the aircraft again since I work right next to the airfield.

Outstanding, I know just how you (and Dixon Cannon) feel, having been in the Nine O Nine B17, I too am tempted, as the Wings of Freedom head this Memorial Day weekend (Sacramento,Ca) at old McClellan Airfield, B-17, B-24, B-25 & P-51.
Thanks for sharing :)

Mr.Microphone

Familiar Face
Hondo,

The Wings of Freedom tour is going to be in Sac the weekend of the 30th. They are in Livermore this weekend. I am planning on driving up from Modesto to check it out.

-Microphone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran