Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I get hassled buying "used" clothing.

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
Some of my nicest items were gifts from departed family members and the widows of friends. Accepting clothing gifts from the deceased is part of the legacy of the deceased plus it helps the family empty the closet so they can move on.

For many years I would always dance with the widow of an old friend whenever I was somewhere wearing his best lederhosen. It made her really happy to see them being used because he had loved dancing so much and she loved that his posessions were helping to keep the traditional dancing alive.

Edward

Bartender
Sad thing is that the only people I ever knew personally who actively sneered at second hand clothes (and insisted on being taken in by branding hype) were those who really were not in a good position financially.

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
Sad thing is that the only people I ever knew personally who actively sneered at second hand clothes (and insisted on being taken in by branding hype) were those who really were not in a good position financially.

There may be a tie between the two conditions. I would never wear a trendy suit to a job interview and I have always dressed better than my financial situation would seem to allow.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

I think it's the people who think that they should be rich (but aren't) that mainly feel that way. So they try to capture the trappings of the rich and put on airs. I have to say, in my own experience, many of the truly rich I know are much much nicer than those who think they should be rich.

LizzieMaine

Bartender

Ah, you've met my sister then.

Sheeplady is quite right about the truly rich, at least if the ones I've known are any example. We get a lot of *true* upper class people around here in the summer -- not middle-class parvenus, but real East Coast Old Money WASPs. Without exception they're seen around town in clothes that are distinctive for their lack of what modern folk consider distinctiveness -- you would never see one of them wearing anything with a visible brand label, for example. That's the surest mark there is of a poseur. Instead, they dress like Mister Rogers out for a beach jaunt, right down to the blue canvas sneakers.

There are some regular off the path places I go for coffee on the weekends and work mornings...they are frequented by well-know "industry" folks and at least 50% of them look homeless! And they're all millionaires...
I find the "label people" probably have a purse/wallet full of pegged credit cards and want to "look" rich. Good on 'em. I'm old enough to laugh while wearing things I like that I paid zip for. There's a method to it, and I see folks with real money quite often do the same. No problems here...

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ah, you've met my sister then.

Sheeplady is quite right about the truly rich, at least if the ones I've known are any example. We get a lot of *true* upper class people around here in the summer -- not middle-class parvenus, but real East Coast Old Money WASPs. Without exception they're seen around town in clothes that are distinctive for their lack of what modern folk consider distinctiveness -- you would never see one of them wearing anything with a visible brand label, for example. That's the surest mark there is of a poseur. Instead, they dress like Mister Rogers out for a beach jaunt, right down to the blue canvas sneakers.

Yeah, that's been my experience too. I knew a lot of wealth diversity in college, and a couple people I was shocked (absolutely, totally shocked) to learn that their family owned more than 2 large estate homes, they had private lessons, they had a governous, live in help, a driver, etc. Granted, the always dressed nice, had better than normal manners when it came to very fancy things (like eating out at a fine restaurant), etc. but I had never assumed that level of wealthy. The only key I ever had is that they drove a very nice car or lived in a nice place, which they made no big deal out of. They never bragged. They were typically very nice to people that were of "lower classes" too, like servers and retail staff. There were a few exceptions, but most of the times I was pleasantly surprised.

It was the people who made a point that they drove a Lexus or a similar type car and told you they had a $600 handbag were some of the rudest people I've ever met. I think they had so little standing between them and who they viewed as "ruffians" that they had to make sure that everyone knew the difference through their rudeness.

I think it's the people who think that they should be rich (but aren't) that mainly feel that way. So they try to capture the trappings of the rich and put on airs. I have to say, in my own experience, many of the truly rich I know are much much nicer than those who think they should be rich.

I believe the term for such folks is "$20,000 Millionaire." :p

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Once at an estate sale I picked up an awesome pair of vintage black oxfords, my size, still in the box. Paid something ridiculous like $2 for them. Got them home, opened the box, and noticed on the end of the shoebox was written, "Grandma's last shoes."

Those shoes are tetric! :eeek:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
burial-suit-1.gif

1940's vintage burial suit

You probably wouldn't want to buy one of these used.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
burial-suit-1.gif

1940's vintage burial suit

You probably wouldn't want to buy one of these used.

Actually, I'd have no problem buying it to put on someone who was dead, if I thought they'd be ok with me putting something used on them (in death). It sounds as if it was only placed on the individual during viewing/ wakes and not buried with a person and then dug up. (I have a problem with digging up final resting places- disturbing and stealing from the dead, so if someone was buried with it, it's a no-go for me.) And I'd have no problem with someone buying the female version of something similar for me to wear in my casket.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
I have a problem with digging up final resting places- disturbing and stealing from the dead, so if someone was buried with it.

You have a problem and the law has a problem. I think grave robbing is an offense in all civilized countries. Thanks God, after watching this king of shop. :eusa_doh:

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
There are legal times that a body can be exhumed and I would imagine that there are reasons grave goods could be removed by the family in those cases.

I don't mind wearing the clothes from the deceased as long as it is not likely that part of the deceased has not fused to the cloth.

As for the funeral suit, The pants are only partial and there is a slit up the back. No thanks, I am not going to that kind of party.

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
I'm like Amy Jeanne, I think she posted somewhere she is a "death hag?" lol I'm fascinated by the idea of mourning and I find the suit fascinating. It's not something that I'd own but I don't mind looking at it and learning. I don't see anywhere in the description that it was a used suit, more than likely dead (no pun intended) stock from a funeral home that went out of business. (though you if you browsed the shop, you can find a burial niche for sale there...it looks like the remains of the departed might still be in it. o_O) When I read the description, it never occured to me that clothes would be split up the back and it makes me wonder if funeral homes still do that. It does make sense, it would be awkward trying to dress a lifeless body...splitting it up the back makes easier like dressing a doll. I do like the ladies' burial shoes for sale though...http://www.pandorasparlor.com/catalog.php?item=130

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You have a problem and the law has a problem. I think grave robbing is an offense in all civilized countries. Thanks God, after watching this king of shop. :eusa_doh:

Yeah, I even have a bad reaction to archaeological digs at burial sites. It's for history and all, but not something I'm particularly keen on (especially if the goods are then owned/ controlled by a nation other than the one that should rightfully decide what happens to those goods or if the person's effects are separated from the body, sold, etc.). It is extremely disrespectful and a complete violation to then take their things and keep them in a foreign land or to be held by a foreign government. Of course, we wouldn't know anything about many cultures without these kind of digs, but if they are done, they should be as respectful of the culture as possible.

I also find the scavenging of cemeteries for statues and iron work to being one of the worst types of theft. I won't buy anything that came from a cemetery because it was most likely stolen. Cemeteries have some of the most beautiful statues in the world, but they belong where they were put.

I have a girl friend from St. Lucia and she said that grave scavenging is so bad where she grew up, that when they buried her mother, they encased the casket in cement (standard practice, apparently). Some people even dig up the bodies to reuse the grave site. She was really surprised it wasn't as widespread here. (Thank goodness it isn't.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Back in my reporter days I covered a local story involving the rifling of a local Civil War hero's tomb -- someone broke in, went thru all the coffins looking for jewelry, and ended up stealing the General's skull, which turned up a couple of days later in a drainage ditch on one of the back roads. Turned out to be some local dopers looking for some fast money to get a fix, and they apparently thought the General would add a festive air to their next party.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot