Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I hate sewing sweatbands. I hate reeds!

Gobi

One of the Regulars
I meant to put this is 'hatmaking/learning the art of millinery' but I can't find it and Google app isn't working right now and by the time I scroll through 15 pages on here I won't have time to post.

There's got to be a better way to attach a sweatband. I know they used to make "cheaper" unreeded sweatbands, that actually seems like a good idea to me. I hate dealing with reeds, I hate the look of black plastic reed tape against a brown leather sweat. No one seems interested in matching the color of the leather. The reed doesn't like to flange out properly which defeats the whole purpose to begin with. Sewing from the back side of the sweat seems counterintuitive. You can't tell where the sweat is sitting, even if you tack it in the perfect spot, it somehow moves and sits too high. I hate the sound the reed makes if it shifts inside the reed tape. I've ripped out the reeds in nearly all of my hats. Now that I'm making my own hats I feel compelled to do the sweat properly for some reason. I've often done the "cheat" method which is sewing through the reed tape where the reed used to be. The challenge is angling the needle so it comes out through the crown and not up through the brim. It's impossible to get an even looking stitch that way and the worst part is you can see the stitches on the reed tape. Also many sweatbands have moved from the old fabric backed vinyl tape to a new "peva" plastic which doesn't conform as well, the tape ends up with small straight lines at angles rather than a smooth curve around the hat. Any ideas? Any tips? I just spent a couple hours trying to do the right way and ended up with the sweat sitting too far out of the hat. That nasty reed tape is hanging out of the hat. It didn't form the flanged bell shape as much as was needed.

I had my wife sew a couple sweatbands in for me. She did a pretty good job, but she didn’t like it much better than I did. I thought it was on the something but she told me she was going to unionize so now I’m back to sending them off to have done. It’s just not worth the frustration for me to do it myself. I only wish there was a local place I could have them done that didn’t require shipping.

I had my wife sew a couple sweatbands in for me. She did a pretty good job, but she didn’t like it much better than I did. I thought it was on the something but she told me she was going to unionize so now I’m back to sending them off to have done. It’s just not worth the frustration for me to do it myself. I only wish there was a local place I could have them done that didn’t require shipping.
Brent, my tale of woe: Your Smithbilt was pretty much complete except for the sewing on of the ribbon. The felt is now very soft/pliable and I put too much tension on the ribbon to get it tight to the felt and it distorted the leather sweat (put a pucker in it). It was a very soft Sullivan sweat and the distortion is permanent. So I had to remove the liner and the sweat and start ALL over again. So yes, I too find the sewing of sweats to be a pain but still not willing to shell out the 2 grand+ to get the machine.

Brent, my tale of woe: Your Smithbilt was pretty much complete except for the sewing on of the ribbon. The felt is now very soft/pliable and I put too much tension on the ribbon to get it tight to the felt and it distorted the leather sweat (put a pucker in it). It was a very soft Sullivan sweat and the distortion is permanent. So I had to remove the liner and the sweat and start ALL over again. So yes, I too find the sewing of sweats to be a pain but still not willing to shell out the 2 grand+ to get the machine.

I have more than one sweatband with a pucker in it. Usually putting the hats on my head straighten them out and I don’t notice it. If it’s just cosmetic there’s no need to put in a new sweatband...or there’s no need in the future if it’s too late for this one.

The soft and pliable description of the felt has me excited!

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I've often done the "cheat" method which is sewing through the reed tape where the reed used to be.

Cheating ? Not really, even professionals do it.

When sewing in sweatbands, previous sewing experience is very helpful, as is drawing a line (with something that can be brushed off) around the base of the crown to keep the stitches in line uintil you get your eye in.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
My first one the reed tape shows a bit on one side but I try not to worry about it.

I used the stitch awl method. Tim from Ally Kat/Pure Beaver advised to lay the hat on a table, then take a fabric chalk pencil and lay it flat on the brim, then go around and make your stitch marks. The radius of the pencil is the perfect height to stitch at. With the stitch method you just follow the line from the outside and you can pull the reed tape in from the inside.

I have more than one sweatband with a pucker in it. Usually putting the hats on my head straighten them out and I don’t notice it. If it’s just cosmetic there’s no need to put in a new sweatband...or there’s no need in the future if it’s too late for this one.

The soft and pliable description of the felt has me excited!
This pucker was too extreme as it almost rolled over itself. It was too bad to ignore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana