Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have finally moved to the UK

MegamiOrchard

Familiar Face
After a long (and sad) absence from the Lounge, I am back, and I have finally moved to the UK!
I am living in Kent, so any tips on where to buy vintage here or in London would be very very welcome. Heck, any tips - where to go to learn to do something with my hair, where to buy things, sales, meets, anything!
I am going to pretend to be a lady of leisure for the next few years (actually fulltime PhD student) and my husband who is a photographer is hoping to take some great photos, so now is the time to help me create the best 1950s-1960s look, including things like furniture and bits and pieces for my dressing table.

Oh, I missed you all!

kyda

One of the Regulars
uk bound

While you have nice cool weather over there we are sweating over here, correction women are glowing and men are sweating. Hope you have a great time, just get care packages of vegemite, ANZAC biscuits sent over and you will be fine!!!!!!!!

Mojito

One Too Many
Hope you have a brilliant time, MegamiOrchard! The five years I spent in the UK were possibly the happiest of my life, and if it wasn't for the fact I love my job here and couldn't be parted from my family and friends easily, I'd move back in a heartbeat (I'm a UK citizen, so will probably move back...one day...)

I get the impression there's a very lively vintage scene, particularly around London, and that the girls meet up fairly frequently, so you should have a great time.

imported_miss_molly

Familiar Face
Welcome to the UK! You have moved to Kent? Not too far from me then!!! Unfortunatley, being new to vintage I won't be much use for advice on where to shop and such - sorry!

Anyways, hope you enjoy being here!!!:D :D :D

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Welcome to the United Kingdom.

I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with ladies vintage clothing, Camden market would be worth a shot and I know that every couple of months there are vintage fayres in the capital.
If you're looking for second-hand, classic, antique, vintage books I would suggest Charring Cross Road (Leicester Square tube) and off of this road, Cecil Court, which is effectively a little lane consisting of a dozen or so antique books shops. Prices vary from bargains to obscure, and expensive first editions.

You maybe interested in looking up "The New Sheridan Club" who meet every month in The Wheatsheaf pub off of Oxford Street and who are very much into what the Fedora Lounge is all about.

Hope you settle in quickly and comfortably.

Best regards, Ethan

Edit: Of course another great and cheap source of vintage fashion are local charity shops. I'm sure if your nearest town is anything like any other in England you should have at least a good half-dozen to browse. :).

KatieD

New in Town
Vintage Shopping

You should come along to the Rockabilly Rave nr Rye, Kent in June as it is the place for '50s shopping (they have a big hall of traders and you don't have to wade through all the '70s and '80s stuff.

If you want to treat yourself hair wise (actually it's no more expensive than 'normal' hairdressers, it just feels like a treat) then check out Nina's Vintage Hair Parlour which is based in London.

Katie

Edward

Bartender
I don't wear dresses often, but friends of mine swear by Vivienne of Holloway. ;) You can buy via the website - http://www.vivienofholloway.com/ - but the shop is well worth a visit (not least for its glorious positioning above a bike garage - best smelling clothes shop in London tahn. ;) ). Just be wary of the sizing "system" - a friend who wears a 16 normally needs a 20 in Viv's stuff. Quality is great, though, and to my mind it isn't expensive for what you get. There are also a lot of vintage places round the East End markets, especially on Sundays. Many of them are chock full of over-priced 80s tat, but places like Beyond Retro still turn up bargains. Also check out the smaller stalls. Some great stuff too at odd stalls at the Ladbroke Grove end of Portobello Road on a Saturday - beside the Westway(?) Arcade, wherein lurks What Katy Did. I've seen a lot of great ladies 60s coats in The East End Thrift Store recently, just off the south side of Mile End Road (about 150 yards from my flat!). Some great bargains in there that you won't find in the better-known vintage stores. IMO, both repro and original vintage is much more readily available (and at better prices) for the ladies than gents. With 50s and 60s being your bag, you'll find much more of it too, especially 50s-rockabilly oriented stuff.

ETA: the London ladies do seem to meet fairly often, though it's about time we had more "co-ed" events....!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
varnu