Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I just "met" this famous model for a very famous Army Air Force poster.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
World_War_II_Patriotic_Posters_USA_Military_Recruiting_US_Air_Force_2LG.jpg
[/IMG]

Well, sort of. Indirectly.
A lady came to my workplace tonight with this poster to have it drymounted for eventual framing.
Turns out the story is that the model for the original painting for this recruitment poster was her father. Also turns out he flew 66 bombing missions in world war 2! More than any other veteran pilots I have heard about.
Small world. Hopefully I will get to design the frame order for it too.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
That's very cool. I have always loved that poster. Is her father still alive?
Yeah, very cool, and I certainly didn't expect it. Unfortunately, her father is deceased.
We also recently got an order to design a display of medals for a vet that is still alive though. In his 90's. Highly decorated, combat infantry badge, bronze star, Mediterranean theater, POW, etc. I like doing the military display orders the most, I get to pay tribute to the vets in at least some small way.

Steven180

One of the Regulars
Have never seen that poster before, but a very classy design. Wonder why we can't produce inspiring promotions like this anymore...

Our best to his daughter and family!

M.

B-24J

One of the Regulars
Once, years ago, I was visiting the Pentagon and the hallways had many pieces of artwork such as this painting (poster). I recognized quite a few having seen them in various history books.

See "Art of the American Soldier" exhibit at:

http://www.constitutioncenter.org/ncc_press_Art_of_the_American_Soldier.aspx

I do not know if this particular painting is in this exhibit.

I believe I saw it at the Pentagon because I remember thinking, "Hey, where's the B-24!".

Of course, eBay has copies of this poster.

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy