Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I just moved to New Orleans

Argee

One of the Regulars
So in the span of 2 weeks I interviewed for, got hired, moved from Austin to New Orleans, got an apartment, and started a new job. Suffice it to say, I'm sort of worn out at the moment. This is a big event for me, I had lived in Austin my entire life. I'm posting about my move on the lounge mostly because of how I get to work. My apartment is on St. Charles so I ride the Streetcar to and from work. The St. Charles Avenue Streetcar is the oldest continuously operating street railway system in the world, and the streetcars currently in use date from the 1920s. I think that's so cool. Anybody have anything they want to share about the city?

4spurs

One of the Regulars
I rode the streetcar to school for four years. Hey, have fun exploring the city and the many neighborhoods. Ride the Canal St. ferry to Algiers for a great view of the the city from the river. Learn about the history of the city; for starters take a look at this dialect map of N. America http://aschmann.net/AmEng/ you'll find out that New Orleans has more variations on the English language than any other place you've been.

There are too many restaurants to mention; and more festivals and events than you can keep track of.

Find WWOZ on the dial, or stream it live.

PM me if you want more details on the Crescent City; like who's what, why, and "yeah ya right."

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Apparently there are swing dances all the time. At the ww2 memorial, or museum or something there is a free dance every Sunday afternoon. I will be down there in late August visiting my brother. Go see some music, the scene is awesome.

Burton

One of the Regulars
I have a home in Texas but am always abroad. If I had to live in the US I cant imagine living anywhere else but Texas with the exception of New Orleans. What a fascinating and wonderful place. The most "foreign" city in the US I think. What history. I hope you enjoy your stay there.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Argee, I just returned from a trip to New Orleans, it's a very interesting town.

The WWII museum does host a lot of dances I was told, including the Gala New Years Eve Swing Dance, you cannot get in unless you're dressed to the nines, it sounds like a real blast. Also if you've not already, go to the Sazerac Bar in the Roosevelt hotel... you'll not regret it, it's a beaut.

Burton

One of the Regulars
Tomasso, I like the word foreign as it implies a city from a different country as it has the old Spanish and French influences. The word different works too. A wonderful city in any definition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot