Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I just recieved a great comment about my hat...

RBH

Bartender
we have the thread
''The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard''
so I thought we could use
I just recieved a great comment about my hat...
I just returned from the Mall in a nearby city. While walking around I was stopped by a teenaged girl, dressed in the 'teenage' style of today. She said
"excuse me sir but I love your hat! Its awesome!"
I was wearing my Open Road [the one in my avatar] that had been c\b by Fedora.

Razzman

One Too Many
I too have received many compliments this past week on the new Cuenca fino hat I recently purchased from Art Fawcett. I have been wearing the hat all week at work on a college campus. Many folks, both students and staff have stopped me to comment on how much they like the hat. Nobody even noticed that I'm wearing it after Labor Day. I will continue to wear it as long as the weather is warm and sunny.

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
I too had a nice comment yesterday.

My wife and I went for coffee early and as I was exiting the coffee shop a lady stopped me and asked me about my hat.

She said it reminded her of her dad in the 40s who was never without one.

As we parted she said I looked very distinguished in my fedora. And man, I had just rolled out of the sack and slapped it on to cover my bed-head.

Just goes to show, a real hat makes anyone look better.

BigSho

Vendor
The best one I ever got was on a Gatsby newsboy cap that Jonathan Richards of Ireland so kindly made me. I had waited for this cap for 7 months and it finally came last october. So the next day I walked into my first class about 10 minutes late and as soon as I set foot in there one of the guys in the class proclaimed (very loudly), "THATS THE COOLEST HAT I HAVE EVER SEEN!!" It was pretty awsome.

Jeremy

funneman

Practically Family
One of the young ladies who works here at the station turned to me last week and said, "I really like your old school style, it's really cool."

Worked for me.

MasonM

New in Town
This isn't exactly a recent comment. Before I got into flatbed type trucking a few years ago (very dirty work) I pulled regular box trailers and always stayed clean. For this reason I was able to wear classic suits and hats.

One day as I sat at the counter in a truckstop wearing a nice double breasted dark blue pinstripe, black shirt, white tie, and fedora one of my fellow truckers to whom I had been talking thanked me for bringing a touch of class to our industry. He said he really liked the look and thought it was great that a trucker took the trouble to dress well.

My customers loved it and often commented.

While I enjoy the money I make now, I do miss those days when I could dress well and get all sorts of comments from people for it.

Kevin Popejoy

One of the Regulars
I've had a couple comments lately. Over the weekend while banging around some of the local antique shops I stepped into one that occupies the first floor of a lovely 1830's home. A gentleman who had closely followed me in later stopped me while browsing and thanked me for removing my hat upon entering. We commiserated for a bit on the general lack of hat etiquette these days. Also, as I'm getting older and a bit stiffer I've been in the habit of attending classes at a local yoga studio. If you've ever been to one you know they are generally very casual affairs. My teacher routinely thanks me for bringing a touch of class to the place. It's good to know people actually do appreciate our efforts to dress well.

Kevin

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Kevin Popejoy said:
... I've been in the habit of attending classes at a local yoga studio. If you've ever been to one you know they are generally very casual affairs. My teacher routinely thanks me for bringing a touch of class to the place.

Kevin, how do you dress for your yoga classes? I mean, what makes you less than "very casual" there? And why would you not want to be dressed casually for a yoga class? [huh] Do you wear a fedora while in the "downward facing dog" position?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
MasonM said:
One day as I sat at the counter in a truckstop wearing a nice double breasted dark blue pinstripe, black shirt, white tie, and fedora one of my fellow truckers to whom I had been talking thanked me for bringing a touch of class to our industry.
This is a new one for me. I have never seen a photo or film clip of any trucker, at any time in trucking history, wearing a "double breasted dark blue pinstripe, black shirt, white tie, and fedora" while hauling box trailers.

No matter; if it makes you and others feel good, more power to you. :)

MasonM

New in Town
Marc Chevalier said:
This is a new one for me. I have never seen a photo or film clip of any trucker, at any time in trucking history, wearing a "double breasted dark blue pinstripe, black shirt, white tie, and fedora" while hauling box trailers.

No matter; if it makes you and others feel good, more power to you. :)

Well, I didn't say it was traditional garb for a trucker :D

Mike K.

One Too Many
As an Audubon wildlife warden/biologist, I wear my Purdey safari hat on a daily basis in-the-field. My boss thinks it is a "very sporty" fedora.

Kevin Popejoy

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
Kevin, how do you dress for your yoga classes? I mean, what makes you less than "very casual" there? And why would you not want to be dressed casually for a yoga class? [huh] Do you wear a fedora while in the "downward facing dog" position?

lol Good one! I suppose I'd need a stapler to do down dog with my lid on. No, I meant I show up that way. I change when I get there. Most everyone else shows up in their workout clothes which is something I'd not wear in public.

duggap

Banned
I went to get my hair cut the other day and as I walked in the door the lady's son, who is eleven years old, said nice fedora. We spent the next ten minutes grilling him on how he even knew the word fedora. Said he learned it in school. Looks like lids are in around my neighborhood.

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Was at my favorite local independent coffee shop today, the Four Star Coffee Bar, at their new downtown location in the first floor of one of our historic old buildings. The girl at the counter saw me coming in, and said "I just love your hat - that's the coolest thing ever!" I was wearing my Carbon Grey Akubra Federation with my new blue subtle pinstripe Jos. A. Bank suit and a '40s vintage tie. She is about my age - early 20s, so it was cool to get such an enthusiastic compliment from another person my age.

This new location for the Four Star is just a few doors down from the Peters Brothers hat shop, so it's an area of high hat activity. :)

ClassicIsBetter

One of the Regulars
I've never worn a fedora, now I want to know what I'm missing... I got a lot of comments on my newsboy hat. It's not actually a newsboy but a Kangol... And no , not like the backwards kind that Samuel Jackson made famous... Anyway, I got a lot of great comments with that. Can't wait till it gets cold enough to where it again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner