Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I lost my hat to the summer wind....

klind65

One of the Regulars
High Pockets said:
The only hat I ever ruined was destroyed under my own two feet!

Thirty years ago at a local "jack-pot" rodeo, I completed my ride and made a perfect two-point crowd pleasing dismount!:eusa_clap

...with not one, but BOTH feet squarely in the middle of a really nice black Stetson!! :eusa_doh:

Flat hats can be fixed, but hats with big holes made by spurs cannot.

:) I continued, however, to wear it with pride for several more years.
:D :eusa_clap What a story!

klind65

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
Good question.
Some men's fedoras have wind trollies. This is a button and cord setup where the button is secured on a lapel. The cord stays attached to the fedora and should keep the hat from straying too far from your head.

See this hat for an example. When not in use the wind trolley is wrapped around the crown. You can see the button against the bow.
1243526365.jpg
Much obliged Feraud! I also realize that a complication for men regarding hats involves the frequency of times a man is expected to remove his hat during the course of a day. I believe etiquette dictated that a lady need not ever remove her hat in the course of a day unless she wished to do so. But men were advised to remove theirs when indoors, upon meeting a lady ( tipping it as a gesture of recognition)....etc....so having a band or any securing device would have compromised the ease of those frequent removals, I guess!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran