Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I LOVE my DivaCup! Not for guys...

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
crwritt said:
I love my Diva Cup too. I've used it now for at least two years, think of the cash I've saved on disposable menstrual stuff!

Not only that, but there is the environmental aspect to consider as well. Think about how much less waste you've been producing!

Also, there is the fact that tampons absorb *everything* in your vagina, not just the blood. Overall, this is just not that healthy.

I'm 28 and do not use a cup... yet (though I have tried Instead and could just never get the hang of it). I am no longer on BCP and still have a very light flow, but I am considering the switch.

crwritt

One Too Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by crwritt
I love my Diva Cup too. I've used it now for at least two years, think of the cash I've saved on disposable menstrual stuff!

Not only that, but there is the environmental aspect to consider as well. Think about how much less waste you've been producing!

Come to think of it, I have saved on plumbing bills as well, since the restroom in my basement workroom has a pump up system, and the time I accidentally flushed a tampon, the plumber's bill was $60. Strings get caught in the pump.

I think most of us had to get used to using and properly disposing of tampons, Diva Cup is just another one of those things we can get used to and be comfortable with.

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
ITG said:
I have noticed that with the BCpills I'm on (I've been on 4 different ones in the last 13 months, that I get more emotional the week before than I did when I was not taking them. Is this normal for some of you girls or do you find that you are less moody/emotional on the pill? (I've tried Estrostep, Apri, Trinessa, and now Yaz.)
I've entertained and discussed the idea of getting off the pill with my husband, but I'm afraid I'll get pregnant.

I have done a ton of research on what happens to the womans body throughout the month and BC pills over the past few months while deciding on what type of pill I should go on.

I was on ortho novem 777 for 10 years and went nuts on them.
The hormone levels were too high for me after losing weight.

Then I went on Orthotryclean LO for a few months and didn't like it.

I gave my body a break from BC for almost 7 years.
I was doing ok with the ups and downs until these past few months.

This month I started YAZ. I researched it and found that it is one of the lowest dose pills for hormones, the progesterone in it is the closest to what the body makes naturally, and it doesn't change the hormone levels thru out the month like the other pills I was on.

So far so good

The Diva Cup and others mentioned sounds interesting, and I would like to think I would have no problems using it....but...no can do...

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
PA Dancer said:
I have done a ton of research on what happens to the womans body throughout the month and BC pills over the past few months while deciding on what type of pill I should go on.

I was on ortho novem 777 for 10 years and went nuts on them.
The hormone levels were too high for me after losing weight.

Then I went on Orthotryclean LO for a few months and didn't like it.

I gave my body a break from BC for almost 7 years.
I was doing ok with the ups and downs until these past few months.

This month I started YAZ. I researched it and found that it is one of the lowest dose pills for hormones, the progesterone in it is the closest to what the body makes naturally, and it doesn't change the hormone levels thru out the month like the other pills I was on.

So far so good

The Diva Cup and others mentioned sounds interesting, and I would like to think I would have no problems using it....but...no can do...

Hmm, good to know. I've been pretty anti-Pill as of late, but honestly, if my hormones don't chill out within the next few months, I'll probably consider trying Yaz.

I just had a consultation with a gyno in my area who has been helping women regulate their hormones for about 30 years, which is comforting. She's really into holistic methods, too, and has a really great reputation. I just sent in my saliva tests, and I hope I find out what's really going on soon!

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
This will be a long post because I really, really feel strongly about knowledge, and knowledge is power. This is information that every single woman should be told, but wasn't. I mentioned this book a while ago, but it is wonderful, Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. The book is rated 5 stars on Amazon and has 937 reviews. This book contains all the information we were never told about how our bodies function. I was amazed at how much I didn't understand about my own body! It is like a beautiful orchestra with many different instruments playing all together (hopefully!) in an intricate pattern.

For ladies who don't have hormone problems, and are looking for a scientifically proven birth control method, can I suggest Fertility Awareness Method (FAM). Or ladies looking to get pregnant, this book is for YOU!

The book gets into how to track your waking basal body temperature (BBT) to determine what part of your cycle you are on, when you are fertile, and when you aren't. The information is AMAZING! Your temperature can tell you if you have thyroid problems, aren't ovulating, or have a short luteal phase (the time between when you ovulate and menstruation). Even if you don't want to track your temperatures, read the book anyway, it is so full of information that will amaze you!

Tracking your temperature is based in hard science, which is important to me. It isn't "rub a yam on your foot during the full moon" type of stuff. When your body releases progesterone when you ovulate, your temperature rises about a half a degree. When you menstruate, it drops again. By tracking when your shifts occur, you know when you ovulate, and I always knew I would be getting my period. I would wake up with a lower temperature, so I was never caught off guard again.

However, if you don't ovulate to release progesterone, your estrogen levels continue to build which makes your temps bounce all over the place, instead of a clear rise for several days and then a clear drop. When high enough levels of estrogen build up, you will get break-through bleeding, which isn't a true period, but can be mistaken for one.

I learned that I wasn't ovulating, which is why we were having a difficult time getting pregnant - 6 out of 10 months it didn't happen for me. April was the first time I ovulated in 4 months, and we are now expecting our baby in January :) My temperatures would bounce all over the place, and then I would get heavy, bright red bleeding after about 35-40 days. If I didn't know I hadn't ovulated, I would have just thought I had a "late" period. Basically, if your cycle is ever over 38 days, it is safe to assume you didn't ovulate.

I say "late" period because there really isn't such a thing. There is such a thing as delayed ovulation, but the time between when you ovulate and when you menstruate is a set period of time for each woman that deviates by no more than a day. Stress can cause you to ovulate late, but once you ovulate, it will always be the same number of days until you get your period.

Knowing when you ovulate is SO important because if you are trying to get pregnant or avoid getting pregnant, the "day 14" standard may not work for you. My doctor told me to start trying at day 14, and to try every other day for a week. I actually don't ovulate until around day 22 or so. If I had followed that advice, my egg and his army wouldn't have ever met! Or, if I had been trying to avoid getting pregnant, I would have thought that day 22 was safe!

I know this is a long post, but I really, really recommend that EVERY woman read that book. Even if you decide to take hormonal birth control, you will have knowledge, and that is power. You will have the ability to advocate for yourself in a new way, and you may even gain a new sense of wonderment and respect for the amazing things your body does every month.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I went to buy a Diva Cup yesterday and discovered Sea Pearls reusable sea sponge tampons. Any of you ladies ever used them?

princessofcandl

One of the Regulars
Love love love my Keeper. I've been using the keeper for ... gosh... like 6 years now. I've bought two in that time (and only because my puppy Punkin saw it drying on the counter and thought it was a new chew toy. yeah, she got in big trouble). I got it initially for the enviromental issue. I had never used tampons before, only pads. I didn't like the insert-something-inside part. But the Keeper seemed to go with my natural flow and not against so I tried it. I'm not as squemish about my personal body fluids (and IMHO no woman should be... its our body) so there was not real problems there. Now I would just die if I couldn't use it. The Keeper seems to be more resilient than the Diva to me. But thats a personal choice. And I have a heavy flow so don't let that stop you. All that means is you empty it more the first few days. I go all 7 days (yeah me) so by day 3 I only have to empty 3x day. And by day 5+ prolly only 2x to stay "fresh". I know... TMI ... but this whole thread is TMI.

I tell all my friends about it. And it even threw my OB/GYN for a bit of a loop. She was also shocked that I refuse hormone BC. Hubby uses condoms and is considering getting "fixed" but has never complained. But I digress.

Keeper Yeah!!! Everyone go get one NOW!!!

Miss Brill

One Too Many
I bought a Diva Cup in 2005, I think it was, and used it probably 4 times & gave up because it was so painful to remove. I'm talking agony! It has this hard rim & it *snags* coming out and I would just about faint. I haven't had any children, so I don't know if I'm too narrow or what. I swear, I thought I would die trying to get that sucker out! I'd finally have to squat in the floor to do it.

It cost about $35 and it was a total waste of money. I could have sent it back for a refund, but I just couldn't. :rolleyes: It took a couple months before I felt normal again.

Those Instead cups are no better. They always stay vertical and don't work at all in that position. ;)

deelovely

Practically Family
I can't believe I have never heard of these products ya'll are talking about!:eusa_doh: An alternative to spending money constantly on pads and tampons, that usually end up leaking:eek: ... which then leads to spending more money to replace stained panties...:eek: I am definitely going to look into this! A cup? Hmmm.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
KittyT said:
I went to buy a Diva Cup yesterday and discovered Sea Pearls reusable sea sponge tampons. Any of you ladies ever used them?

I had some & used them for several years. They leak like crazy though (once they are wet, they are wet) & I never wore them away from home, or without backup.

PolkaDotMeggie

A-List Customer
I still use regular birth control methods- I use the Ortho Evra patches. My family has a history of Endometriosis and this type of hormone therapy helps to relieve the symptoms.

As for the DivaCup, I will pass! I use pads and probably always will :) Talk about being a creature of habit....

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What about the tipped uterus?

Mine is tipped, so my cervix is more on the wall of the vagina rather than at the end. The diapraghm was a problem sometimes with that (but back in the day I used it, I loved that it caught all the mess!). Anyone else out there tipped and using the Divacup?
I am 47 and considering going back on a low dose pill as I am getting bad PMS and going kind of crazy on my period. It is no fun at all. I seem to be entering menopause (changes in skin and hair growth too), and just want it all to be OVER!!!

crwritt

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
Mine is tipped, so my cervix is more on the wall of the vagina rather than at the end. The diapraghm was a problem sometimes with that (but back in the day I used it, I loved that it caught all the mess!). Anyone else out there tipped and using the Divacup?
I am 47 and considering going back on a low dose pill as I am getting bad PMS and going kind of crazy on my period. It is no fun at all. I seem to be entering menopause (changes in skin and hair growth too), and just want it all to be OVER!!!

I have a tipped one too, and have no trouble with the Diva Cup. I've never been bothered by my tipped uterus, the only ones who it seems to affect are
medical folk trying to examine me.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
I caved and got back on the Pill (Yasmin this time). My skin is looking pretty, but I'm not sure how I feel about it because I've been feeling pretty sick since getting on it. I saw my doctor right after I started feeling the symptoms, and she told me to wait it out for another month. When will it end?!

Rosie

One Too Many
Ladies, please don't use bc pills just to stop PMS or heavy periods. Look at the things you are putting into your body, ther stress that may be in your lives or your environment. These things are the cause of all the upset. I used to have very painful and long periods, now my periods are 3-4 days tops and I very rarely have cramps. I haven't used bc pills in over 5 years and haven't had a pregnancy scare. There are other methods of bc and natural bc which you married or committed ladies can use. For a guide on natural healing, try Heal Thyself for Health and Longeivity or Sacred Woman, both by Queen Afua. For natural bc, try Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler, MPH. GREAT life changing books. Also, not to upset anyone, but it makes me sad to hear women saying that touching themselves or having a period makes them squeamish or referring to their body parts as "down there".

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:

The Diva Cup doesn't fit over the cervix, it is supposed to stay near the vaginal entrance, so I don't think a tipped uterus matters if you use the cup. If it goes to far up it will get suctioned to your cervix & you'll pull your uterus out trying to break the suction. :p

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Rosie said:
For natural bc, try Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler, MPH. GREAT life changing books.

Yes, yes, yes!!!!! :eusa_clap I think its this thread where I spoke highly of it. Can't praise it enough!

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
I've been following this thread with interest.
Two things strike me:
1) We're waaay behind you in England.
2) You have a much better understanding of your bodies. We don't have OB/Gynos unless we're a) pregnant or b) ill. I have no idea if my uterus is tipped, filtered or upside down!lol
However, I am interested in the environment and as I live nr the sea I am sick of dodging used panty liners on the beach!
Anyone on here have kids and used the Diva Cup?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot