Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I remember when.....

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I remember when commerical TV shows used to start all at the same time on the hour on all the different channels. The news would be on at 6, current affairs at 6:30, then you could pick a quiz show or evening soap opera at 7, then 7:30, 8:30, 9:30 etc the different channels would all start their respective shows.

Now, one channel will let it's stupid reality rubbish run til 8:45, while another has their reality cr*p go to 9, while another has non-stop reality shows with repeats. the starta nd finish tiems for prorgams are all over the place.

And no, I don't have cable and shouldn;t need it - normal TV should be normal and not reality-laden junk.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Benny, the DVR has been a Godsend.
I record most programs, so I can fast forward through the commercials, and actually get to the program.
You have a point though, because I can switch from channel to channel some mornings, and only see 1-2 out of 10 shows NOT in a commercial break. :eusa_doh:

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Benny, the DVR has been a Godsend.
I record most programs, so I can fast forward through the commercials, and actually get to the program.
You have a point though, because I can switch from channel to channel some mornings, and only see 1-2 out of 10 shows NOT in a commercial break. :eusa_doh:

Yeah Gregg I have no choice but to record - it's non-stop reality TV (My Kitchen Rules, Beauty and the Geek, Big Brother, The Block all evening until like 10:30, then actual entertainment comes on. So I record those shows to watch at a decent hour!

I remember when not everyone had to have their 15 seconds of fame by going on a cheesy "reality" TV show . . .

gear-guy

Practically Family
I remember when you put gas in you pulled down the license plate. That's where you filled it at. I also remember getting spanked.(A lot) Now I would like to spank half of the kids that I see everyday. It would do them good.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I remember when a computer was a huge typewriter-like machine that was bolted to the floor. They were in school, and were programmed with simple math problems. You would press whatever key necessary to start the program, and it would literally, and loudly, type out a simple addition or subtraction problem on paper! You'd get about 10 seconds to type an answer, and if you were either wrong or too late, it would clatter out the word, 'INCORRECT!' and move on to the next problem. Scared me every single time it started to type. At the end of the 'lesson,' you go to keep the long paper record of it.

This was in the late '60s.

I hated those things.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I remember when you put gas in you pulled down the license plate. That's where you filled it at. I also remember getting spanked.(A lot) Now I would like to spank half of the kids that I see everyday. It would do them good.
I forgot about pulling the license plate down. :eusa_clap
Spankings? As a kid? Never heard of those.
I'm not sure which wore out quicker on my tuffskins, the knees or the seat. :p

Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I remember when a computer was a huge typewriter-like machine that was bolted to the floor. They were in school, and were programmed with simple math problems. You would press whatever key necessary to start the program, and it would literally, and loudly, type out a simple addition or subtraction problem on paper! You'd get about 10 seconds to type an answer, and if you were either wrong or too late, it would clatter out the word, 'INCORRECT!' and move on to the next problem. Scared me every single time it started to type. At the end of the 'lesson,' you go to keep the long paper record of it.

This was in the late '60s.

I hated those things.

In 1968 our high school got its first computer, there were 10 work stations around the room connected to 1 big computer, they were called " Commodore PET" work stations and the computer was "Teacher's PET".

The computer was in a metal cabinet about the size of 4 washing machines stacked up. You could do word processing or program in BASIC. One lesson allowed you to make a line drawing of a rocket and see it shoot up out of the top of the page.

I'm still impressed that our little high school in Port Hope Ontario (population 6000) had this equipment so early.

Later. I did a search for Commodore PET and Teacher's PET. Found them but they came out much later than I thought, in 1977 not 1968. So I don't know how I used them in 1968 or 69. As I graduated in 1969, it could not have been later than that.

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
In 1968 our high school got its first computer, there were 10 work stations around the room connected to 1 big computer, they were called " Commodore PET" work stations and the computer was "Teacher's PET".

The computer was in a metal cabinet about the size of 4 washing machines stacked up. You could do word processing or program in BASIC. One lesson allowed you to make a line drawing of a rocket and see it shoot up out of the top of the page.

I'm still impressed that our little high school in Port Hope Ontario (population 6000) had this equipment so early.

Later. I did a search for Commodore PET and Teacher's PET. Found them but they came out much later than I thought, in 1977 not 1968. So I don't know how I used them in 1968 or 69. As I graduated in 1969, it could not have been later than that.
Did it use a punch card?
Those were gone when I got into school, in fact our first computer was an Apple II.
At home I had a Commodore 64...WITH THE FLOPPY DRIVE. :D
I had a buddy with the Tandy and a cassette drive. Took FOREVER to load anything.
Also, back in the day some friends of mine had their own bulletin board.
When I asked what that was for, they said "so you can leave a message with us."
Uh, I see you everyday, why would I need to do that? :p

Did it use a punch card?
Those were gone when I got into school, in fact our first computer was an Apple II.
At home I had a Commodore 64...WITH THE FLOPPY DRIVE. :D
I had a buddy with the Tandy and a cassette drive. Took FOREVER to load anything.
Also, back in the day some friends of mine had their own bulletin board.
When I asked what that was for, they said "so you can leave a message with us."
Uh, I see you everyday, why would I need to do that? :p

I never saw a computer until I was a senior in college in 1989. If they had any at my high school, I never heard about them.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The only computer I ever used as a kid was this one:

burrport.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I remember when ....

.... the UK had heavy industry and people thought the country needed to have industry to create wealth.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The only computer I ever used as a kid was this one:

burrport.jpg

Yeah... I was gonna say....

Although, once I was in middle school the elementary school did get the hand-me-down Apples from a school district that was upgrading. I never used a computer in school until 1998/1999 to use the newly put online card catalog. My high school only had four computers, and three of those were in the office. I actually learned to use a computer while taking summer college courses in 1998.

hatguy1

One Too Many
Did it use a punch card? Those were gone when I got into school, in fact our first computer was an Apple II.

Punch cards; UGH! I remember having to use those. :frusty:

And the first Mac I ever came across required the software to be loaded everytime after it was turned on. So if you wanted to type a letter, let's say, you had to put maybe 3 or 4 floppies in the machine and upload MacWord (I think it was called) before you started your letter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy