I remember when.....

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Andykev, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

Duck fat is my favorite fat for cooking French fries. Yum!

2. Gregg Axley

Gregg Axley I'll Lock Up

And their Cauliflower trees lean over in his yard. :D

3. dnjan

dnjan One Too Many

I wish I could afford to cook things in duck fat! It is $10/lb here.

Lard, on the other hand, is affordable (though not easy to find).

I remember a place when I was in college that cooked their fries in lard. Rumor had it they changed their deep-fry grease once per year, whether it needed it or not. They sure tasted good ...

4. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

It is pricy to start but it is reusable, which brings it's cost per use down below many other fats. Personally, I source my duck fat from the duck I cook so it's much cheaper than the commercial stuff.

5. Probably here in California. :p

6. In The World's Largest Outdoor Insane Asylum and in La La Land..

7. Those get Groundclear and die off fast. Nasty stuff Caulflower is worse than Magnolia.

8. Bacon fat is better than both.

9. dnjan

dnjan One Too Many

All the bacon fat I generate goes into popcorn cooking, so I would never get enough to make French fries.

10. Just eat more bacon---problem solved. :p

11. dnjan

dnjan One Too Many

Bacon production tops out at about 2 to 2-1/2 lbs per week. The wife won't allow me any more 'frigerator space for the curing phase, and that is about the most I can fit on the smoker on Saturdays.
    Got plans for a larger smoker (I remember dad's was about the size of a single-holer outhouse), but haven't gotten beyond the plans.

And yes, I remember when we cured all our own meat. I'm trying to get back to that point.

12. You need a second fridge in the garage AND a larger smoker then. :p

13. dnjan

dnjan One Too Many

ain't givin up anymore of my shop space!

14. Then you need to build a separate shop outbuilding---with a fridge. :p I did.

15. Sefton

Sefton Call Me a Cab

I can relate to that! I got my 1966 Ford Galaxy in 1990 for $600 but you'll have to add another 0 to that to find a nice one here now. Sadly she rusted away...I miss driving all of that American steel (I miss the $1 a gallon when filling her up too!)

16. rjb1

rjb1 Practically Family

Missing $1 per gallon gas is bad - missing gasoline at 29.9 cents per gallon is worse. I used to get real premium 100+ octane for my '65 Chevy at that price. I miss the gas price and miss my '65 even more.

17. dnjan

dnjan One Too Many

I remember when people didn't get surprised if you dressed up for an airplane flight.
    (and I also remember when an airplane flight was still something to get dressed up for)

18. Man o man...don't get me started on airplanes. They bring out the absolute worst in people, from the way they dress to the way they act. It's as if people are completely oblivious to the fact that the airport and the airplane are still public spaces. People dress better to clean out their garage than they do to fly in an airplane.

19. hatguy1

hatguy1 One Too Many

Well, since you have to all but disrobe and get a colonoscopy to get thru TSA, why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. dh66

dh66

Unfortunately, he's kinda got a point.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2