Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I remember when.....

noonblueapples

Familiar Face
I remember towns that had a main street that was like stepping into a time capsule; completely functioning, non chain grocery stores, news stands, and independant department stores. I remember seeing most of those main streets destitute and barren before being made over all touristy (it's something, but it's not the same).

I remember when there wasn't a whole full-length aisle in the grocery store devoted to snack foods. Maybe a quarter of an aisle, and your choice was potato chips, bar-b-q potato chips, pop corn, cheese corn, potato sticks, or pretzels. You had to go to the expensive part of town to find Cheez-Doodles and Fritos.

I still mourn the day when they discontinued Taco Doritos. :(

I live downtown (ironically, on Main St.) above my pa's storefront. Downtown's all but dead, a struggling Dish Network office, 4 bars, 2 abandoned bars, a restaurant, a pharmacy, a Weaver Auto Parts, 2 real-estate offices, and our gun shop is about all that makes up downtown anymore.

I remember towns that had a main street that was like stepping into a time capsule; completely functioning, non chain grocery stores, news stands, and independant department stores. I remember seeing most of those main streets destitute and barren before being made over all touristy (it's something, but it's not the same).

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
This was my downtown.
ard3.jpg
LancStation.jpg
9cfb_1_sbl.jpg
AutoCar
LancAve.jpg

but that was a long time ago. Now you can get every nail done in a different salon.
Tom D.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
This was the world I was born into, my home town --

hometown.jpg

The early-30s car is parked in front of the building where we lived when I was a baby. Those second-floor windows are the windows I first looked out of, and this street scene is what I saw.

Most of the buildings are still there, but the atmosphere's long gone.

Last edited:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up

Amazingly enough, my hometown's main street (in western Nebraska) has managed to have a make-over, while still keeping the small, hometown feel. No chain stores (unless you count Subway), but rather familiy-run businesses. They recently just put in a new dollar store, plus a new pharmacy, renovating the side of the street that had been vacant for quite awhile. Our courthouse, built in 1909, is still very prominent on main street, as well.

We have plenty of parades, too. :)

martinsantos

Practically Family
São Paulo downtown got a sad, violent decadence in 70s and 80s. Now it's getting up again.

Funny that this decadance saved a lot of old buildings from XIXth centrury and from 10s to 50s. Because the place had no value, it would be bad business to take them out to construct new ones. So that new, ugly buildings, all of glass and no windows, won't be here!!!

dnjan

One Too Many
I remember when rollerskating was a family social event, and roller skates had the wheels in two rows of two (not inline).
And roller rinks were easy to find.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I remember when blackwall tires on a Cadillac would have been laughed off the dealers lot and just the mention of a Cadillac "truck" would have been considered sacrilege.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Right, and 'made in Japan' meant cheap garbage in the eyes of most Americans, and now, in fact for the last 20 years, give or take, it means as good as, or better than anything else on the road.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot