Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Iam interested in a "lawrence Jacket"

CINDERWOLF

New in Town
well, i think i should buy myself something in celebration of finishing university. And since a BMW F650 is out of my price range i have had to look elsewhere... this caught my eye http://jpeterman.com/product~cat~100205~sku~MOW 2025.asp the J peterman "lawrence jacket", from there i stumbled upon this belstaff jacket http://www.oipolloi.com/store/Belstaff-LawrenceReplicaJacketKhaki-1606.html

Iam very interested in any opinions on these jackets or on the original jackets they are based on.

One of my all time Favorite films, being Lawrence of Arabia, definitely is an influence here. Would lawrence actually have worn one of these types of jackets or is that a hollywood touch?

keep in mind, i dont think i will actually have a motorcycle for a while, and i would be worried of looking like too much of a poser... does the belstaff have a lot of extra padding? would it look out of place being worn casually?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Hello.

This offering from Peterman and Belstaff is a fashion item.
I can only imagine that it is a fantasy "Lawrence jacket", although it does seem strange that both companies offer the "same" product.
This style is copied from typical vintage examples, which were black.

I have never seen an image of Lawrence wearing such a jacket and I am not aware that there is such an item of British military uniform, or that he ever wore such attire.
I would love to be corrected here.

Lawrence said his favourite motorcycle riding attire, was his military uniform,
RAF uniform in the images you will find of him.

To escape public attention, upon his return to England, he enlisted in the ranks of the RAF in 1922 as John Hume Ross. This was discovered and he was discharged. He then joined Royal Tank Corps in 1923 as T. E. Shaw, and he joined the RAF again in 1925. He adopted the name T. E. Shaw by deed poll in 1927.
He retired in 1935 and died in the same year as a result of a motorcycling accident at Clouds Hill

Here he is in typical riding attire (RAF enlisted uniform), in 1930.
He is seen with George Brough, manufacturer of Lawrence's famous Brough Superior motorcycle.

brough-lawrence-3.jpg

The Peterman/Belstaff jackets are typical of vintage(still manufactured)British motorcycle jacket styles, such as the Belstaff Trialmaster and Barbour International(the forerunner of which was used by the Royal Navy Submariners, prior to and probably during WW2). But, as you can read, the jacket is a lightweight fashion item.
I don't imagine it has a lot of padding and yes, it must be "the Hollywood touch".

I hope this helps.

B
T

Rufus

Practically Family
As an aside, You can see that beautiful Brough Motorcycle he died on at the Imperial War Museum, well worth the trip!

:) rufus

Edward

Bartender
Even if not historically accurate (and yes, it seems to me that the clothing business, much like Hollywood - see e.g. the contrast between he Great Escape and the reality of the historical events it is based on - operates on rather a liberal 'poetic licence' basis), that Belstaff is a nice looking jacket!

I'd say it could be a really nice looking jacket worn casually on those days when it's just a little too cold for a safari jacket and just a little too warm for an A2.... I think it would pair superbly with khakis or denims. A tiny touch on the expensive side for a "fashion jacket" as opposed to one that can actually be used on a bike, but try trawling the discount outlets....

:)

Kevin Popejoy

One of the Regulars
CINDERWOLF said:
well, i think i should buy myself something in celebration of finishing university. And since a BMW F650 is out of my price range i have had to look elsewhere... this caught my eye http://jpeterman.com/product~cat~100205~sku~MOW 2025.asp the J peterman "lawrence jacket", from there i stumbled upon this belstaff jacket http://www.oipolloi.com/store/Belstaff-LawrenceReplicaJacketKhaki-1606.html

Iam very interested in any opinions on these jackets or on the original jackets they are based on.

I think if this is the look you're interested in you should go for the real thing. The Barbour International (the waxed cotton version) is made basically the same today as it was in the 30's. A great cycle jacket. They also make a "GoreTex" version if you want a modern material.

CINDERWOLF

New in Town
Thanks for the replies, all quite helpful and interesting. I will be looking into the barbour jacket as recommended. And hopefully I will have some pictures up when i do decide on a coat.

Any additional comments would be more than appreciated, hmm, i will have to do a search, there must be a few Lawrence of Arabia threads on this site.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Note on the Belstaff Jacket:

While the Peterman link references T.E. Lawrence (of Arabia), the WWI hero, the third link posted refers to the author D.H. Lawrence.

Perhaps the other Lawrence wore such a jacket?

Regardless, it does look very good. Would be even cooler in leather.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
BellyTank said:
I'm sure the D.H. Lawrence mention is just down to sheer ignorance.
That was dumb.

B
T

Probably so, but it seemed worth mentioning.

And just because it's a biker jacket doesn't mean the wearer necessarily rides a motorcycle.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Kodiak said:
Probably so, but it seemed worth mentioning.

And just because it's a biker jacket doesn't mean the wearer necessarily rides a motorcycle.

I was talking about THEM, not you, silly.
Yes, it was worth mentioning.

But still, it's silly- the thought of TE, or DH Lawrence
wearing a jacket like that is daft..

B
T

Kodiak

A-List Customer
I was talking about THEM, not you, silly.
Yes, it was worth mentioning.

As was I. I assume it was just a typo too, but on the off chance that it isn't... Of course, that's all by-the-way.

But still, it's silly- the thought of TE, or DH Lawrence
wearing a jacket like that is daft.

The thought of Harrison Ford with blond hair and an earring was rather daft until I received the April (or was it May?) issue of Nat'l Geographic Adventure.

Anything's possible [huh]

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Kodiak said:
The thought of Harrison Ford with blond hair and an earring was rather daft until I received the April (or was it May?) issue of Nat'l Geographic Adventure.

Anything's possible [huh]

Not really- that's just typical Harrison Ford.
Like many Hollywooders, he's a total disaster off the Big Screen.
And quite daft.

Ever seen an interview with Christopher Walken? terrible dresser... terrible.

Or maybe H. Ford was just a bad example

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner