Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If he's a Retrosexual, what are the Ladies?

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
Retrosexual
Definition: a man who adopts a traditional masculine style in dress and manners

Example:

"Think of him as the anti-metrosexual, the opposite of that guy who emerged in the 1990s in all his pedicured, moussed-up, skinny-jeans glory. That man-boy was searching for his inner girl, it was argued. The retrosexual, however, wants to put the man back into manhood."

— Lini S. Kadaba, Philadelphia Inquirer, Apr. 7, 2010

Just found this. What new name are the ladies to adopt?[huh]

Chas

One Too Many
A man who does the Homer-Simpson "aaaaaaauuughchhhhh...." when he flips on the telly and sees Hedy Lamarr.

Makes similar noises at the sight of selected clothing and/or art-deco era automobiles.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
gtdean48 said:
No need for a new name. They are in fact, as you stated, "ladies"! :)

We girls never had a label slapped on us like the men did with "metrosexual".....but in the last two decades a lot of girls have been anything but ladies. Just turn on any reality TV show and look at how brazen and uncouth the girls are, trying to out-bitch and out-slut each other.

Actually, maybe we did have a label...."beotch" lol

A return to actually being LADIES would be nice.

I wonder what would happen if they had a reality show where women were competing over how mannerly and ladylike they could be instead of getting into drunken catfights with each other?

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I've been calling myself "Retrosexual" since 2003. I didn't know it was gender-specific [huh] I'm proud to say I am very attracted to the vintage look! :D

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I know we've talked about this before, but I really do not like the term retrosexual, it makes me feel like part of a fad, when most if not all of us here have been living (in some sense) this style well before it became popular... again.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Mr Vim said:
I really do not like the term retrosexual, it makes me feel like part of a fad, when most if not all of us here have been living (in some sense) this style well before it became popular... again.
Fads are safer than styles. They don't threaten mass marketing. They can be contained and made obsolete as needed. They help keep taste in the hands of the tastemakers.

kiltie said:
Oh, sweet Lord... Are you baiting, Fletch?
Far be it from me to disturb the cod peace...I just like to underscore that today's idea of manliness pretty much originates in the cold war era, with a tacit nod to WW2, but turning our backs on the prewar years. The elegance of the 30s, especially, doesn't square well with what came after.

dhermann1 said:
Hey, that's nothing! I'm a sexagenarian!
I used to have a sextet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot