Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If I could,..............(What business would you start)???

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
If I could, I would start a small business that would be not so much a business for profit, but rather a business for love.
I would like a 20, four top and a 10 two top, bar/club with gentle, soft lighting, that would have a bar with twelve seats; that served ONLY high quality single malts, top of the line bourbon, and upper end spirrits. A small selection of white and red wines would be on the menu.
Music would be piped in CD's of Soft and cooler Getz, Brookmeyer,Trane, Evans, Miles, Bossa and some Tango. Able to be heard but NOT intrusive. No TV. Weekends and one night a week there would be local Jazz/Bossa groups that would preform at scale.
A small dance floor would be marvelous plus.

Meals would be a last resort with frozen TV dinners to make the local requirements kosher. Bar snacks/Tapas would be on the house.
Beer would be by the bottle and at the higher end.
All in all ,a place for anyone to drop in, have a drink, listen, reflect, drink and cool out.
No Hip Hop. No hookers(at least overtly). No politics. No bullshit.
Bartenders who are polite and respectful.
Decorations to be bland,inoffensive and unobtrusive.
Restrictions: No wife beaters. No flip-flops. No weapons.
No aggressive/provocative t-shirts.
Bullshiot or bad behavior would be a lifetime ban, without mitigation.

I do not have a name at this point, not the money to start it. "Moot Lounge"??

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
Gideon Ashe said:
If I could, I would start a small business that would be not so much a business for profit, but rather a business for love.
I would like a 20, four top and a 10 two top, bar/club with gentle, soft lighting, that would have a bar with twelve seats; that served ONLY high quality single malts, top of the line bourbon, and upper end spirrits. A small selection of white and red wines would be on the menu.
Music would be piped in CD's of Soft and cooler Getz, Brookmeyer,Trane, Evans, Miles, Bossa and some Tango. Able to be heard but NOT intrusive. No TV. Weekends and one night a week there would be local Jazz/Bossa groups that would preform at scale.

Meals would be a last resort with frozen TV dinners to make the local requirements kosher. Bar snacks/Tapas would be on the house.
Beer would be by the bottle and at the higher end.
All in all ,a place for anyone to drop in, have a drink, listen, reflect, drink and cool out.
No Hip Hop. No hookers(at least overtly). No politics. No bullshit.
Bartenders who are polite and respectful.
Decorations to be bland,inoffensive and unobtrusive.
Restrictions: No wife beaters. No flip-flops. No illegal weapons.
No aggressive behavior/No provocative t-shirts.
Bullshit, gambling or unacceptable behavior. It would be a lifetime ban, without mitigation. No appeals. I get to be the judge.

I do not have a name at this point, nor the money to start it.
"Moot Lounge"??
As I prepare dinner, I listen to brain testing Bill Evans music.
A name for my fictional bar: 'round Midnight Lounge?
or,....Stella's Starlight Lounge?
or,....The Green Dolphin?
or,....Your opinion for a name,....................................?

Gideon Ashe said:
Sounds good so far...

No weapons.
And there's the dealbreaker... how 'bout "no unlawfully-carried weapons, and declare to the bartender if you're carrying lawfully"? That way, a CCW'er who's only drinking non-alcoholic beverages is still kosher.

As for me, Doran once posted an idea (albeit in jest) about him, me and another Lounger starting our own twist on the "Golden Era gentlemen's club" theme, which really does sound kinda interesting.

Or maybe have a small firm specializing in building vintage-reproduction cars or planes... (the latter anything up to, oh about 737-size, maybe a little bigger. And taking advantage of modern tech is a must...)

Or, it'd be really fun to (if I could find a way around all the Amtrak BS) build a company specializing in "cruise trains", with repro consists, complete from locomotive to observation car (not like American Orient Express chopjobbing a priceless 20th Century Limited obs and using those ugly AMD-103s) for each of the major named passenger trains doing "land cruises" around the continent. (Of course, the master suite on the 1938 20th Century Limited would have a standing "reserved for me" status...)

V

VargasBaby

This might be a little weird, and I'm not sure how much of a market there would be for it, but I would LOVE to open a bakery. A good, old fashioned, walk in and order cakes but have small delicacies to eat too. Sweets and treats. :)

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
Diamondback said:
Sounds good so far...

And there's the dealbreaker... how 'bout "no unlawfully-carried weapons, and declare to the bartender if you're carrying lawfully"? That way, a CCW'er who's only drinking non-alcoholic beverages is still kosher.

Yeah. D'accord. I know lotsa iron mongers of the upper strata who would really like the atmosphere, the company and the music.
In my mind I already pegged them for an OK. A CCW carrier who is responsible in his habits is a go. Any Bullshit and they are a real GO as in having their asses pitched out with a never return ticket.

Declaration to the barkeep is OK, except for the very specific law in this state (Florida)that prohibits the carrying of weapons(even by lawfully issued CCW license holders)in places where alcoholic beverages are sold, unless it is primarily a restaurant that also serves alcoholic beverages.

Good way for the CCW holder to lose his ticket AND an immeadiate revocation and BIG fine for the alcoholic beverage distributor license holder.
A very BAD day all around.

No pistolas unless a badge (and commission book/Police ID/ whatever it is called in your neighborhood) is included with it.

Life goes on.
Absinthe Noir??? I dont think so.
I am not looking to open an S&M or to cater openly as a solely Gay establishment.
I'm NOT homophobic, and Gay persons are not to be excluded or discriminated against, (against both my personal style and the law) but I am not looking for a theme bar.
Just very good quality booze, music not so loud you cannot talk and be heard and hopefully, good company.
Great input here though. ;)

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Ah, but absinthe is so lovely...

My dream job is to own a used bookstore in some corner of the UK or France. A place with comfortable nooks for readers and typewriters for those with the urge. A store that draws customers looking for a 1950s jell-o recipe book, and repels those who ask where the non-fiction section is (oh the stories...). A place where I can be as kind or as maddeningly sarcastic as I like without some heavyweight telling me that I'm being rude or that I talk too much.

It would be wonderful.

I dream of the day when I can treat customers the same way they treat me...lol

SWTroopers

Familiar Face
Money and insurance are no issue? Then I would do leatherworking full-time. Would be great to set up a shop, crank the classic tunes and spend my time working away with my hands.

Marc

dostacos

Practically Family
If money was not a concern, I would open a photography studio with many Theme rooms. I would also allow other photographers to use the studio.

Also I would have a camera store to one side. I big screen TV with seats and a coffee bar [like a Starbucks] where friends can come to relax and spend some time [not for sports except the rare "big game", TMC]. Part of the camera store would include developing/printing. Not to ignore the digital world we would have a few computers so they could photoshop and send to the printer

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
A what,....?

With all due respect.
What pray tell is a Footbag?
Possibly I know it by another name, or within the framework of another jargon.

This is a terrific thread. Everyone has a dream, and it's lovely to hear those dreams of others. Not just my own.

lol

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
One time when I was dropping my sister and her hubby off at the airport for a trip o'seas, I looked at all the plain, ugly taxis with the grubby-looking drivers and also noticed some 'silver service' taxis. Looking at them, I thought how cool it would be to get an old late 30's Chevy or Ford and do it up with modern running gear. Paint it like an old taxi and get an old-style taxi driver's uniform made, with the short "Ike" style jacket, eight-sided cap and bow tie, and run a 'luxury' taxi service. There'd be Swing music and crooners on the art deco radio and passengers would be treated to an 'experience', if you like.

Sydney traffic is a nightmare, but it'd almost be worth it to 'live and drive in the Golden era' for work every day.

Whether it would be financially viable would be another matter! :eek:

sweetfrancaise said:
I dream of the day when I can treat customers the same way they treat me...lol
One of the perqs of my freelancing gig, young lady... even though I can't push my clients around with reckless abandon (especially in niche fields, when you're freelance you live and die by your reputation) I still have a lot of latitude to push right back at them--sticking them with dinner tabs or my hotel stay when they insist on a face-to-face is always fun, as is the old "accrued depreciation surcharge"... (basically, a "you're getting hit with another 15% on your bill 'cause dealing with [expletives] like you's gonna give me an ulcer, stroke or kidney-stone!" fee) And would you have the same attitude toward a customer who brought you flowers?;)

Gideon, I believe another term for footbag is "hacky sack". HFLG, did I get that right? Trying to speak "youngster", what a pain...lol

Nick, basically I'm envisioning cosmetic dead-ringers for Golden Era, with all new guts, using new materials and new electrical systems, along with mechanical upgrades where they make sense or the vehicle has something to gain. (Like meeting or beating CAFE standards... or a horsepower gain.) Some sensible "retro" options like having a nav system running on a "retro-styled" screen in the dash, possibly.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Diamondback said:
Nick, basically I'm envisioning cosmetic dead-ringers for Golden Era, with all new guts, using new materials and new electrical systems, along with mechanical upgrades where they make sense or the vehicle has something to gain. (Like meeting or beating CAFE standards... or a horsepower gain.) Some sensible "retro" options like having a nav system running on a "retro-styled" screen in the dash, possibly.
One could take the chassis of a modern car, with all it's amenities and safety features, and build a retro styled metal and/or fiberglass body around it. :)

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Gideon Ashe said:
With all due respect.
What pray tell is a Footbag?
Possibly I know it by another name, or within the framework of another jargon.

This is a terrific thread. Everyone has a dream, and it's lovely to hear those dreams of others. Not just my own.

lol

The "slang" term is HACKY SACK. :D

Here is some real TALENT

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
OUT-effin'-standing Idea.

Diamondback said:

Gotcha. Build the coachwork of an Auburn or a Cord on the modern and DOT approved, running gear, and you will make a TON of money, as well as satisfy a want/need.
Look at the P/T Cruiser. A nothing but evocative of the past body lines, and it sell.
Great idea, Mr.Snake:)

A Googled Hacky-sack. Who knew?
AFTER my time, by about 50 years or so.;)

Kishtu

Practically Family
I'd open my dressmaking business to make replica outfits for people who can't afford to pay replica prices for them.

I have always thought it was very unfair that people's dreams are restricted by their budgets.... and I'd like to make it possible for people to live their dreams. Oh all right, at least the clothing part of their dreams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner