Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If I could,..............(What business would you start)???

ssubialdea

One of the Regulars
My family owns a cafe so I'm more inclined to the foodservice and hospitality industry, I'd love to
*open a bar/diner w/ a great jukebox and serve up comfort food. BYO bottle allowed
*drive in theatre featuring only old movies and maybe a few newer classics
*a bakery / coffee shop (only 2 kinds of coffee though, regular or decaf) with lots of pastries to munch on and elaborate cakes and pies to order
*some form of catering service
*charm / craft school for girls (I longed for a home ec class in school but we never had one) I'd teach pincurls, cooking, baking, sewing, manners, camping basics, etc.
*some kind of handicraft business
too many dreams and too little time (and money to fund it) :)

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
I am in the process of starting a business to produce, in limited quantities, golden age aircraft. The planes will conform to the original type certificate, except for certain FAA approved modifications where doing so improves safety or reliability. Not supprisingly, I'd like to start with the Beechcraft Model 17. Were currently working out the legal issues. I anticipate airplanes will be built in quantities of 8-12.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
I'd start a men's magazine...

... for gentlemen of sophistication, class, and style. It would contain interesting articles on past and current celebrities who live large the sartorial lifestyle and useful articles about clothes, shoes, accessories, and grooming. It would use real-world (real-men) models complete with gray hair and flaws. Finally, it would contain a super-vixen pinup cutie on the last page...

WHAT? Someone else had that idea!! AND, they're pulling it off?! GMTA...

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
ssubialdea said:
*charm / craft school for girls (I longed for a home ec class in school but we never had one) I'd teach pincurls, cooking, baking, sewing, manners, camping basics, etc.

Oh, I had a similar thought. I think that it would be wonderful to teach an elementary level summer school class on manners. It would be the voluntary kind of class where the parents pay to sign their kids up. I'd end it with a tea party, luncheon, or dance where the kids could show off their skills!!

:eek:fftopic: Sweetfrancaise, You'll find there are lots of Trek fans here. :D

ssubialdea

One of the Regulars
Joie DeVive said:
Oh, I had a similar thought. I think that it would be wonderful to teach an elementary level summer school class on manners. It would be the voluntary kind of class where the parents pay to sign their kids up. I'd end it with a tea party, luncheon, or dance where the kids could show off their skills!!

:eek:fftopic: Sweetfrancaise, You'll find there are lots of Trek fans here. :D

Ooh, what a great idea! I've seriously thought about doing this as an afterschool program of sorts, now to find some kids to participate :) In all honesty it wouldn't be that difficult to do, I may even be able to host it at a school campus

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
staggerwing said:
I am in the process of starting a business to produce, in limited quantities, golden age aircraft. The planes will conform to the original type certificate, except for certain FAA approved modifications where doing so improves safety or reliability. Not supprisingly, I'd like to start with the Beechcraft Model 17. Were currently working out the legal issues. I anticipate airplanes will be built in quantities of 8-12.
Wow. You could start a heck of a thread by asking for suggestions on what to produce. Hmmmm . . . . . .
Oh, being a former EAA member (long lapsed) would you do full scale? 5/8 scale? Kits? Warbirds? I could think of LOTS of warbirds people would go crazy for. But full scale classics, oh there are so many. You must be big fan of Smilin' Jack! OK, just to get the ball rolling, how about a Lockheed Vega? Oh, but I also love Grumman Widgens. OK, let's not open up Pandora's box. But it does really stimulate the imagination.

Nashoba

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
I would open up a shop that dispensed common sense...and maturity. Maybe some Kindness in a refrigerated display near the side wall.

lol lol....late to the thread as usual...but that's awsome Miss N. I love that

About 6 years ago I did start my own business. I took my love for fiber arts and Native American arts and turned it into something I do full time. These days I mainly make Guidons (unit flags) for the US Marine Corps, but I still design quilts, do beadwork, porqupine quillwork, Cherokee / Choctaw basketry...and a bunch of other stuff. The only thing I really can't do is paint or draw. I suck at that, it's my sister's domain and she's amazing. It doens't make a ton of money, but it pays for itself and my vintage addictions...which is good...

Novella

Practically Family
Jack Scorpion said:
Drive-In Movie Theater/Driving Range.
Vintage publishing Co., publishing old fiction and new articles.
Film restoration.
Single screen movie theater.
10pm-10am Coffee shop.
Barcade.
An e-book device that actually makes it worth it + an e-book distr. website.
Literary rag.

We should be business partners. That's a lot of what I'd start. Except I'd also like to start a used bookstore.

carter

I'll Lock Up
A rural hotel where the accomodations are double-walled canvas tents on platforms.

Each tent to have a full bath, heating and air conditioning, electricity, and a well-appointed bedroom with king size bed and a seating area.

Each platform will have a deck with chairs and a hammock in the front.

Dining will be at the main facility, appropriate attire required, or room service can be arranged. There will be full beverage service available.

The tents are arranged throughout the property with well-groomed trails leading to each one. Some are more secluded than others.

Daily activities are hiking, fishing, riding, swimming, etc.

There is a library and bar at the main facility. There is no television.

This is a facility for someone who wants to get away from it all but cannot afford, or doesn't want, to go on safari.

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
carter said:
A rural hotel where the accomodations are double-walled canvas tents on platforms.

Each tent to have a full bath, heating and air conditioning, electricity, and a well-appointed bedroom with king size bed and a seating area.

Each platform will have a deck with chairs and a hammock in the front.

Dining will be at the main facility, appropriate attire required, or room service can be arranged. There will be full beverage service available.

The tents are arranged throughout the property with well-groomed trails leading to each one. Some are more secluded than others.

Daily activities are hiking, fishing, riding, swimming, etc.

There is a library and bar at the main facility. There is no television.

This is a facility for someone who wants to get away from it all but cannot afford, or doesn't want, to go on safari.

Sounds good to me! I think it's the only way I'd ever go camping. lol

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
dhermann1 said:
Wow. You could start a heck of a thread by asking for suggestions on what to produce. Hmmmm . . . . . .
Oh, being a former EAA member (long lapsed) would you do full scale? 5/8 scale? Kits? Warbirds? I could think of LOTS of warbirds people would go crazy for. But full scale classics, oh there are so many. You must be big fan of Smilin' Jack! OK, just to get the ball rolling, how about a Lockheed Vega? Oh, but I also love Grumman Widgens. OK, let's not open up Pandora's box. But it does really stimulate the imagination.

Full scale true to the original design civil aircraft. The current plan is factory built, but legal issues might drive us to the kit concept. The biggest problem is acquiring the rights to the type certificate, primarily due to liability concerns (Raytheon doesn't want to get sued because a brand new D17S makes a staggerwing shaped hole in the ground. The kit built route presents a way around this (there are currently Waco kits on the market along with modern factory-built versions. They're being marketed by two different companies).

I'm not really all that interested in wasbirds because engines are too hard to come by and I'm not really a fan of "downscaled" craft. There is a firm offering modern, full scale Me 262s with modern engines. Here's a link http://www.stormbirds.com/project/index.html.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
If I could, I'd open a felt manufacturing plant to produce nothing but hat bodies with Cavanagh Edges. Of course, then I'd have to open my open hat finishing plant, along with a retail outlet on Park Avenue!lol

Brad

ITG

Call Me a Cab
I would start a business breeding Scottie dogs and/or doing Scottie dog rescues.

However, my husband is wanting to start a restaurant so that may be the business I get roped into by default.

carter

I'll Lock Up
ITG said:
I would start a business breeding Scottie dogs and/or doing Scottie dog rescues.

However, my husband is wanting to start a restaurant so that may be the business I get roped into by default.

Having been in the restaurant/club business for over two decades, my advice is to go the Scottie route.

Far too many restaurants fail in their first year, or less, of business. This is without mentioning the hassles with liquor licenses, insurance, personnel, etc.

Of course, I've only rescued and been possessed by our canine friends. Never had any desire to be a breeder.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Yeah the restaurant thing is "his thing" although I'd be supportive. I admit, he's an excellent cook but I have my reservations as we'd be working our butts off with little time for anything else.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Legal Notice

Owing to trademark concerns Fletch & Co. wishes to announce that its satellite businesses are changing names:

Yossarian's will now be known as Obscurity Aviation Togs.

Cincy Magneto will now be known as Fletcher Mac Cloud, after Roy Rogers' character in the 1940 film The Dark Command.

Mystery Fletcheration Associates will now be known as Twelfth Street Research Associates Group (12th St RAG), because basically, I'm Joe Franklin with more class and a better wardrobe.

missjo

Practically Family
i already have a dreamjob (historical consultant) but I still dream of owning my own bar/club.
Of course the whole theme would be late 1930s.
During the day it would be a tea-salon or cafe, people can come in for a cup of tea, coffee or a soda with cake or a bisquit.
Everything would look late 1930s, from the cups, the napkins, the waitress and of course a old radio would be playing old music and broadcasts all day.
In the corner there would be a phonebooth, people can use that phone but more importantly, if they have to use their mobile phone, they will be asked to get into that booth.

In the evening we the place would be turned into a nightclub, the stage will have a band, people can dance, drink, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo