Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If I had to pick one guy from the golden era. . .

VivianRegan

One of the Regulars
Jimmy's a birthday boy!

Tomorrow, James Dean would have been 75 years old!

It's as good a time as any to watch Rebel and swoon and sigh...

jimnnat.jpg

Novella

Practically Family
It's hard to pick just one, so how about a tie?

cap0903oa.png

Joel McCrea - for Sullivan's Travels and Dead End (even though this picture is from Foreign Correspondent)

and

robertmontgomery7zk.png

Robert Montgomery - for a number of early 30s films, especially The Divorcee

I already feel like I need to change who my favorite is before I even post because there are just too many - Jimmy Stewart, James Cagney, William Powell, Humphrey Bogart, Robert Donat, Ivor Novello, Ramon Novarro, Fred Astaire, Errol Flynn - I could go on for days.

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars
I second and third votes for Cary Grant, William Holden and Gene Kelly. I'd also like to add Harry Belafonte, all I can think of is butterscotch pudding. Yum. Marlon Brando, James Dean and Paul Robeson. And even though he was technically rebelling against just about all of this, Jack Kerouac.

CaryGrant.gif

sunset05.jpg

genekelly5.jpg

belafonte.jpg
CarmenMedium.jpg

brando.jpg

Jdrs22b1a.jpg

paul-robeson_1925_101102.jpg

home_kerouac.gif

L_H

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Tin Pan Sally said:
Who wouldn't want to be Frankie Manning's dance partner?

You probably know this, but Frankie Manning was still traveling around the country giving dance classes at age 94 as of last year.

I'd have to pick Jimmy Stewart. He had brains and class. He graduated from Princeton, became a fighter pilot even after he was first rejected for military service, helped plan the air support for the D-Day invasion, and attained the rank of general. He was plain and tall and wasn't really a lady killer, but that's what my taste is in men.

I also like David Cotton.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Paisley said:
You probably know this, but Frankie Manning was still traveling around the country giving dance classes at age 94 as of last year.

Frankie is still with it! In fact, he's going to be teaching in San Diego this weekend! I've met him on several occasions and he's just one of the nicest guys! So neat to talk to such a Lindy Hop legend!

Also, James Stewart you mentioned... Good taste my friend! He's my favorite! And he was rather popular with the ladies in the 40's because he was tall.

=WR=

Tin Pan Sally

Frankie

Yes, Frankie will be doing another workshop here this spring.

We can't forget all the comic talent like dancer and one of the Lindy Hop originators Shorty George Snowden (my hero), violinist Jack Benny, actor Danny Kaye, etc. Back in the golden age, a performer had to do it all.

GOK

One Too Many
Gregory Peck tied with James Stewart. Cary Grant is/was handsome and all the things mentioned here but, I don't know, there was just something about Peck and Stewart.

As Atticus Finch, Peck was magnificent - all the right ingredients for my kinda guy! But Stewart as George Bailey, when he first kisses Mary when they're on the phone....<le sigh> That's the clincher! :D

James Dean? Not at all my cuppa - too rough looking and boyish/laddish for my taste.

lindylady

A-List Customer
GOK said:
Gregory Peck tied with James Stewart. Cary Grant is/was handsome and all the things mentioned here but, I don't know, there was just something about Peck and Stewart.

As Atticus Finch, Peck was magnificent - all the right ingredients for my kinda guy! But Stewart as George Bailey, when he first kisses Mary when they're on the phone....<le sigh> That's the clincher! :D

I agree! I could watch Gregory Peck and Jimmy Stewart all day! :D Not to mention that both of them have very distinctive voices that are very pleasing to hear.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
williamhaines.jpg

sjff_03_img1038.jpg

I've had the hots for William Haines for years now. His life story was so awesome and I'm so glad he got away from the dragons of Hollywood and did what HE wanted to do!! All in the name of love!

Not too shabby:
09986_black%20frame_powell.jpg

Dick Powell

sjff_03_img1162.jpg

Buster Keaton

haroldlloyd.jpg

Harold Lloyd

eeh1.jpg

Edward Everett Horton

Yea, REALLY!! ;)

anselmo1

One of the Regulars
John Barrymore

The actor that set the standard on stage and screen in the USA. Don't forget his great profile in addition to his fine acting ability. Watch him with Garbo in "Grand Hotel" and you will see what I mean!

32088650_o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters