Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If money were no object.....

Jazzcat

New in Town
If you could get a modern, newly made felt hat (Fawcett, Optimo, etc.) without the consideration of cost, what would you get and why? Who's considered "top of the line" these days?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
The "best" is relative to what you want. You can't go wrong with Graham or Art. I'd go with Art, simply because Graham's styles are a bit too conservative for me. I'm not sure how he'd react if asked to put together some of the wild combinations that have been created for Art's customers.

If money is no object, I'm going with this one. It's a pretty high crown, with a bit of an extravagant ribbon treatment, but I think I could pull it off. ;)

The price tag for the world's most expensive hat; £1.5 million or about 2,700,000.00 USD. The hat is made entirely of platinum and diamonds.

50958584_8.jpg

Having thought about it, I'd love to have Marc of Adventurebuilt Deluxe make me a completely non-Indy hat. The felt on the hat that he made for himself still makes appearances in my dreams.
Marc said:
DSCN0959.jpg

...[/QUOTE

An Art Fawcett Sportaire with a slightly thinner ribbon in a mid-gray color that is close to the "natural" beaver color of a custom western hat I have. The ribbon & edge binding would contrast slightly darker than the hat body. I have 2 100% beaver custom western hats that were more than what Art is charging & I bought them years ago, so the one from Art is on the agenda near term. :) ... gtd

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
If money were no object, I'd love to get a few more hats from Art (I've had my eye on the midnight blue felt as well as a few of his grays), and based on several posts from other members, I'd love to try a hat or two from Mike Moore. Some of those Xmas hats from other members look terrific!

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
If money is no object, and I'm limited to one choice - Art Fawcett, no question, and I'd give him complete and total freedom to create.

If I could get multiples, I'd have at least one of every color felt Art offers! And at least one wide brimmed pork pie among them.

animator

One of the Regulars
I'd go with a blue diamond crease fedora, 2 5/8" brim with a welt edge from Art. I couldn't be happier with the other hats he's done for me. From the product to the presentation, Art just strives to please.

I'm sure Graham or Adventurebuilt or JP Design or Mike Miller would be great choices, too. In a world of plastic crap covered in lead based paint churned out of who-knows-where, we are fortunate to have such high quality options. When I put on a quality made hat, somehow the world seems more friendly to me.

Jazzcat

New in Town
Thanks everyone. I'm in the market for a new hat. I already have the Optimo pictured in my avatar and everything about it is perfect. The style, fit, felt......everything. I'm looking to pick up a summer weight felt in a lighter brown.

I'm leaning on going with Art simply because I already own an Optimo. I have only the one hat at the moment so I don't mind spending a little extra to get a second. Thanks for all the input fellas.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Money not being an object? I would just order every hat I could order and decide which I liked best as they arrived, you know?
Based on reputation, though, I would start with one of every style from Art.
:)

RBH

Bartender
I would have Mike Moore make me a thin ribboned hat in that cool wiskey color [really a neat brownish]he has and I would then name it ''The Beaver Creek'' ala 'the Open Road'!

Then I would not mind having Art make me one of his HST fedoras!!

bendingoak

Vendor
Having thought about it, I'd love to have Marc of Adventurebuilt Deluxe make me a completely non-Indy hat. The felt on the hat that he made for himself still makes appearances in my dreams.
Marc said:
DSCN0959.jpg

...[/QUOTE

This is one of my favorites. Marc's felt is simply the best. He does fantastic work.

fatwoul

Practically Family
Not-Bogart13 said:
I have the perfect hat to show you! This one is Art's light weight felt in "pecan" which is a great light brown/taupe color.

Artlite03.jpg

That's great. I've been looking for inspiration before I contact Art, and I think I've just found it.

As for the question of this thread, I'd want to commission a team of scientists to use traces of DNA to bring back extinct animals. My hat would have felt made from thylacine fur, a band of quagga skin, and a dodo feather stuck in it. I know I'd look like a pimp, with a hat uglier than a nightmare, but that's beside the point. :D

Oh, and I would then seal the scientists in a cave until they became extinct themselves, making sure my awful hat remained unique.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy