Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If "vintage" became the style of the next decade would you change yours?

When did vintage become not "in"? [huh] It's certainly in here. And yes, the prices are astonishing.

And vintage repro sucks so badly that it's not even worth considering. Whenever you find something close to looking like a vintage piece, it's made in a sweatshop, and out of ******* polyester. Particularly in menswear, finding something that is constructed right - not for the "modern male fgure" whatever the hell that might be - is near impossible.

bk

GeniusInTheLamp

One of the Regulars
Probably not. I'd just be happy to see the rest of the world catching up with me. :D

If I do change down the road, I might adopt an Edwardian look and proceed accordingly. By the time I'm 80, I'll probably be wearing powdered wigs and knee breaches.

crazydaisy

Practically Family
If I do change down the road, I might adopt an Edwardian look and proceed accordingly. By the time I'm 80, I'll probably be wearing powdered wigs and knee breaches.

I'll drink to that! :)

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Those of us who are older, have already seen the trends come and go in and out of vintage fashions several times. Remember "Nostalgia" from the 70s? The New Romantic fake Victorians from the 80s? The Swing revival in the 90s? Etc., ad nauseum. As they say about New Year's Eve, it's amateur night.

I have never changed the way I dressed for anyone else up to now, so no. If I could dress nothing but 1930 - 1933 for the rest of my life, that would be just fine. I don't give a hoot what's in fashion, I have style!

carter

I'll Lock Up
Miss 1929 said:
Those of us who are older, have already seen the trends come and go in and out of vintage fashions several times. Remember "Nostalgia" from the 70s? The New Romantic fake Victorians from the 80s? The Swing revival in the 90s? Etc., ad nauseum. As they say about New Year's Eve, it's amateur night.

I have never changed the way I dressed for anyone else up to now, so no. If I could dress nothing but 1930 - 1933 for the rest of my life, that would be just fine. I don't give a hoot what's in fashion, I have style!
I agree.
Style is knowing who you are.
Fashion is someone telling you who you should be.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
When did vintage become not "in"? [huh] It's certainly in here. And yes, the prices are astonishing.

And vintage repro sucks so badly that it's not even worth considering. Whenever you find something close to looking like a vintage piece, it's made in a sweatshop, and out of ******* polyester. Particularly in menswear, finding something that is constructed right - not for the "modern male fgure" whatever the hell that might be - is near impossible.

bk

My thoughs exactly. It is kind of atrick question for men anyway. Vintage style that would be anything I would consider vintage style can never be a trend, because vintage for men requires a high quality product people would not pay for.

On the other hand, if you mean baggy shirts with dice on them, cheap pork pie hats, polyester zoot suits or crap like that. then it hardly has an impact on my style. or, if you mean suits cut kind of vintage and double breasted etc, taht comes and goes every few years. Besides that, no style ever takes over. It would be just another trend of many.

LynnLaBlanc

New in Town
I wouldn't change if it became fashionable, though I would be semi-annoyed.
Maybe I'm a little bit of a snob, but I like not dressing like everyone else = p

That and somebody made some rude comments about my suspenders the other day. I didn't care, but when another girl went out and bought the same ones and looked "omg lyk soo totally vintage!! like katy perry!" I knew that some people just don't deserve to snap up those vintage patterns.lol

Raging Hat On

New in Town
Who knows what style I'll have tomorrow, let alone in the next decade? I'm not bound by any rigid set of rules. I dress how I feel at the time and reserve the right to change and evolve.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I am not really into dressing vintage - besides my RAF BD jacket and Irvin jacket - so I do not see the problem.
If suddenly Irvin Jackets became the big thing, and everybody strutted around in bad expensive copies made by Ralph Lauren, I would just duck and wait.
Hell - it's only fashion. It will go away in a couple of months.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Spitfire said:
I am not really into dressing vintage - besides my BD jacket and Irvin jacket - so I do not see the problem.
If suddenly Irvin Jackets became the big thing, and everybody strutted around in bad expensive copies made by Ralph Lauren, I would just duck and wait.
Hell - it's only fashion. It will go away in a couple of months.

You sir, are always in style!!

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
maggiethespy said:
I'm not really big on following trends-- if I see something I like, I wear it. If what I like to wear is currently in style, it is just more accessible....

In short, no I wouldn't.

Well said, since I've started wearing three pieces, about five years ago, I've heard that they were going to be "the next big thing" for about three different seasons?! Aside from the old celebrity wearing them I've not seen any change. Some men seem to buy waistcoats from Next or Topman and wear them but that hardly constitutes a three-piece and as for the quality of those pieces, they would only last until the next fashion season, planned obsolescence perhaps? ;)

TheDutchess

One of the Regulars
No I wouldn't change but I would be the annoying person that made sure every single person I ran into knew that I was dressing this way before it was "in". :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ormbingley