Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you could get only one armoured jacket for riding , which style would you choose?

barnabus

One Too Many
Didn't suit you in an aesthetic sense or was it uncomfortable?

It is true that most riders I see are wearing fabric jackets, I now see more people in leathers because it's pretty hot and sunny, but most of these are in full modern riding suits.

Knowing my bike, would you go more for a CR or a cross-zip then?
Aesthetically, more than anything.

My bike isn't very exciting, it's only a Honda 650 -

4fc46f701996c56ba07ab82151987e1e.jpg

but the longer Belstaff style looked really wrong. And more importantly, felt really wrong - awkward and ungainly.

I ride with my Daytona and Kevlar jeans, and feel it suits the bike, but imo I would be looking either at a pure CR, or the Lancer front variation, like this Goldtop -

4235e2_997c33ced99b43708edcffd73abd431b~mv2.webp

Last edited:

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Go for both,,,you know it makes sense :)

That would be the start of a parallel collection of armoured jackets, dangerous
emoji23.png

Aesthetically, more than anything.

My bike isn't very exciting, it's only a Honda 650 -

4fc46f701996c56ba07ab82151987e1e.jpg

but the longer Belstaff style looked really wrong. And more importantly, felt really wrong - awkward and ungainly.

I ride with my Daytona and Kevlar jeans, and feel it suits the bike, but imo I would be looking either at a pure CR, or the Lancer front variation, like this Goldtop -

4235e2_997c33ced99b43708edcffd73abd431b~mv2.webp

Thanks! Getting the feeling it won't work out for me either.

A CR is a pretty universal jacket, I would suspect it would work with almost all motorbikes, it is also the most functional style I think.

Really appreciate your thoughts :)

Edward

Bartender
Very good question, I recently moved on to a new bike, the Superduke R

2019-KTM-1290-Super-Duke-R3.jpg

This currently my only bike and is a bit of an all-rounder, I have plans to get a vintage style bike next, but still too early to tell what it will be, although I find that Triumph has some really nice offerings in that field.

My first armoured vintage style jacket needs to be versatile, that's why it is going to be a single colour easy to use jacket.

Could certainly get away with the power ranger stuff with that, though some of the more 70s leaning Gold Top offerings would work well imo - the padded cafe racer types, or the (loosely speaking) Monza-influenced style.

red devil

Could certainly get away with the power ranger stuff with that, though some of the more 70s leaning Gold Top offerings would work well imo - the padded cafe racer types, or the (loosely speaking) Monza-influenced style.

In terms of aesthetics, I find that the Tan Thedi works quite well with it for some reason, I think it's more the jacket that is pretty universal :)

You;re thinking of that one?

4235e2_2f125f84db7444e49974c67e991d3d32~mv2.webp

bn1966

Loving my early Brooks CR with Knox Armour (vest & spine protector) underneath...

Edward

Bartender
In terms of aesthetics, I find that the Tan Thedi works quite well with it for some reason, I think it's more the jacket that is pretty universal :)

You;re thinking of that one?

4235e2_2f125f84db7444e49974c67e991d3d32~mv2.webp

That's a new model since I last looked at their website (I'm amused they now have this - the 619 - in addition to the 617. They clearly don't know Porsche's lawyers. ;) ). I was trhinknig more one of the mandarin collared versaions, like this: https://www.goldtop.co.uk/product-page/the-lancer

Overall, though, designwise they're a nice range of very English, 1959-1979 designs. It'll be interesting to see what comes of their "custom" option.

Corsair42

One of the Regulars
I have a copy of a Lewis Super Monza by Jackson leathers in Australia, not sure if they are still doing them but a few years ago they did a range of updated classic motorbike jackets (perfecto, super monza, dominator) with full CE armour fitted including back protectors, zip out thermal liners, air vents, internal mobile phone pockets etc. I'm going to list mine on the classifieds here soon, its a 42, barely worn, excellent clean condition in matt/naked black cowhide. I got a great deal on it so will likely be looking for about a third of what a new super monza would cost and this has all the armour (shoulders, elbows, back) fitted.

red devil

That's a new model since I last looked at their website (I'm amused they now have this - the 619 - in addition to the 617. They clearly don't know Porsche's lawyers. ;) ). I was trhinknig more one of the mandarin collared versaions, like this: https://www.goldtop.co.uk/product-page/the-lancer

Overall, though, designwise they're a nice range of very English, 1959-1979 designs. It'll be interesting to see what comes of their "custom" option.

Never thought about it but I can imagine the Porsche lawyers to be pretty full on
emoji23.png

They're expanding their collection at a serious pace! Curious to see how this will evolve

I have a copy of a Lewis Super Monza by Jackson leathers in Australia, not sure if they are still doing them but a few years ago they did a range of updated classic motorbike jackets (perfecto, super monza, dominator) with full CE armour fitted including back protectors, zip out thermal liners, air vents, internal mobile phone pockets etc. I'm going to list mine on the classifieds here soon, its a 42, barely worn, excellent clean condition in matt/naked black cowhide. I got a great deal on it so will likely be looking for about a third of what a new super monza would cost and this has all the armour (shoulders, elbows, back) fitted.

Thanks for letting me know, I am a size 44.

bn1966

Knox armor has a new product called Urbane Pro. Impact and abrasion resistant shirts, etc. Might be worth a look. It just popped up in my IG feed.

Thanks for posting, I love Knox products, could see one of these working for me...

Edward

Bartender

Lewis themselves are in on the act now, in conjunction with Urban Rdier in the UK - the Super Monza and the 'Racer' - a centre-zip, 70s-style cafe racer. GBP850 a pop (ouch!) - though I'd be tempted if they did a Lightning.

red devil

Lewis themselves are in on the act now, in conjunction with Urban Rdier in the UK - the Super Monza and the 'Racer' - a centre-zip, 70s-style cafe racer. GBP850 a pop (ouch!) - though I'd be tempted if they did a Lightning.

Not far off from what they charge for their unarmoured jackets when you thing about it, the Super monza is at £845 vs £850 with armour.
It is the normal Lewis Leather factory making them?
They're not too far off, I think I will pay them a visit as they also stock gold top

Edward

Bartender
Afaik, all the normal Lewis production, just with armour pockets in the shoulders/ elbows/ back, and obvs only in the heavier Lewis hides. No sheepskin.

red devil

Afaik, all the normal Lewis production, just with armour pockets in the shoulders/ elbows/ back, and obvs only in the heavier Lewis hides. No sheepskin.

Definitely worth going to the shop, will see if I can head there by the end of the week :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points