Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you want to know what hats cowboys really wore

barrowjh

One Too Many
Informative, and it confirms what Mike Moore told me about authentic cowboy hats - amongst the wide-brimmed hats, telescope crowns or open crown were very common. I saw several fedora-type hats, and bowlers. I want to know how we got from this rich heritage of humble and practical hats to the fancy (urban?) 'cowboy' hat styles/creases of today.

A question I should have asked Mike Moore in Memphis, but didn't - The working cowboys of today, those that pay $700+ for 100% beaver hat - do they generally demand the fancy creases (cattleman's, hi-bull rider, etc.) with the sides curled up past vertical, or do they tend towards a bit more plain style - maybe a simple cattleman's, or telescope, with a more subtle curl on the sides (or just flat)?

majormoore

Vendor
I spend many hours looking at the hats worn between 1865 and 1900 out west, thanks for posting the link.

There is nothing uncomman today for a "cowboy" to buy a 100% beaver hat and work in it. Here is a pretty good idea of the differant types of hats that are worn in differant parts of the US. Most seem to buy a new hat and slowly it becomes the everday hat, working hat. I know that is what I have done over the years with most of my hats.

We all know the standard cattlemans crease, this is the hat that most men wear out at night or dressing up, it is also the hat that most people wear in the rodeo and competition horse events, (cutting, and many other type events)

The Buckaroos out west ( Buckaroos take care of horse's) wear a flat top crown( telescoping) that either slopes a little toward the rear, flat brim, with a slight upward turn in the wear. Out in West Texas, AZ and that area,you will see cowboys( cowboys take care of cows) will wear a cattlemans crease hat with a much wider brim, must of the time it will be between 4 1/2 to 5" wide with a sharp turn on the sides.

I support all the buckaroos and cowboys who day in and day out take care of stock that really can not take care of its self, these men are on horse back, or driving over large amounts of land making sure that the ice is broken up in the hard winter months so these animals have some water to drink and are throwing hay as needed. These men are up almost every day before the sun comes up rain, sleet, snow hot sun 7 days a week.

Hope everyone knows that the 3rd Sat in July is National Cowboy Day, next year show your support and wear a cowboy hat that weekend, weather it's a cattlemans crease, telescoping, or a Gus style hat, don't be afaird if someone decides to make a joke , just look that person in the eye and smile. It's time we all "Cowboy Up"

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/majormoore/Hatplatingmachineandflattopblock002.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/majormoore/MeinNewMexico.jpg

Here are few differant hats I took with me this past summer to New Mexico

Mike Moore, aka "Major Moore"

majormoore

Vendor
Calvary hats during the civil war, were mostly slouch hats, civilian hats and trust me on this , they did not all have those large hat plumes in them like you see in so many movies. I have done several Calvary hats like the ones you see in the movie, "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" , most of the SASS people want this type hat.

Luke was with me a few months ago, and I had one that I had added some Fullers Earth to it, to give it that trail riden look , at that time I did not have the gold Calvary cord on it, it set there all day on the hat table, I walked over to the sutler there and bought a gold hat cord, paid $15.00 for, went back to my hats, placed it on there and the first man that walked it bought it.

Major Moore

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
I've been a naturalized Texan for fifteen years. My biggest disillusionment came when I discovered how many of the current "working cowboys" wear baseball caps and tennis shoes. :D

majormoore

Vendor
When I see anyone wearing a base ball style cap while on horse back, "I say that is a insult to a horse"

Major Moore

indycop

I'll Lock Up
majormoore said:
Calvary hats during the civil war, were mostly slouch hats, civilian hats and trust me on this , they did not all have those large hat plumes in them like you see in so many movies. I have done several Calvary hats like the ones you see in the movie, "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" , most of the SASS people want this type hat.

Luke was with me a few months ago, and I had one that I had added some Fullers Earth to it, to give it that trail riden look , at that time I did not have the gold Calvary cord on it, it set there all day on the hat table, I walked over to the sutler there and bought a gold hat cord, paid $15.00 for, went back to my hats, placed it on there and the first man that walked it bought it.

Major Moore

Cool! I am going to have to visit Buckaroo hatters the next time the Mafia meets!

art92101

One of the Regulars
Great Link!

I noticed the tall cone shaped sombreros in some of the AZ photos. wide brim and tall crown probably helps keep cool. Thanks!

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
"Cowboy" hats are "golden age" too!!! If you lived in the South or West in the '20's, '30's, 40's or 50's, it would not have been unusual to see western type hats in general use.;)

I think of the Bluegrass and country bands in the '40's and '50's that would travel around all wearing the same cowboy hat that always looked too small for their heads....

base_image

Flatt and Scruggs. Don't know the date, probably mid '50's.
flattandscruggs_2.jpg

Jimmy Rodgers. '20's or '30's.
jimmierodgers_2.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
They're all good!

Mid-fogey, Even a gentleman from the Old Dominion can have enough (well maybe) fedoras, porkpies, etc. But we wouldn't want to limit ourselves. There's vintage straw, western, military, caps, etc. An entire galaxy of hats. And that's before you start reblocking, cutting brims, and all sorts of tomfoolery. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24