Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Ike" Jacket?

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
Hello everyone,

I am wondering if you guys could give me some more information regarding this jacket.

Any light you can shed on this would be much appreciated.

DSC07155.JPG

DSC07157.JPG

Thanks,

Jeff

Trotsky

A-List Customer
Looks like a custom Ike Jacket made in Britain for an American. Alternately, it does closely resemble the 2nd Pattern ETO jacket, which saw very, very limited use by the US after June 1944.

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
Hey again,

It doesn't appear to be any label of any kind. Here are a few more photos.

DSC07159.JPG

DSC07158.JPG

DSC07161.JPG

DSC07162.JPG

Found this on the internets....not sure if it is related, but interesting.

Paul Robert Mahinske (1927-1989) — also known as Paul R. Mahinske — of Detroit, Wayne County, Mich.; Howell, Livingston County, Mich. Born June 20, 1927. Son of John Mahinske, Sr. and Catherine (Dutto) Mahinske; married to Virginia Irene Kretschmer. Democrat. Served in the U.S. Marine Corps during World War II; lawyer; delegate to Michigan state constitutional convention from Wayne County 7th District, 1961-62; circuit judge in Michigan 44th Circuit, 1969-82. Catholic. Member, American Bar Association. Died October 6, 1989. Interment somewhere in Howell, Mich.

The seller I bought this from is from "Southfield, Michigan, United States"

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
Oh cool!

So perhaps it was that guy that I posted about, he was sent to Australia and then issued this jacket.

So it's not really an "Ike" jacket, but still genuine WWII.

Interesting!

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ah, so! Apparently referred to as the "Vandergrift Jacket", after Gen. Alexander Vandergrift of Guadalcanal. There is another listed on eBay at this moment - check it out under "Vandergrift Jacket"

-dixon cannon

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Dixon Cannon said:
Ah, so! Apparently referred to as the "Vandergrift Jacket", after Gen. Alexander Vandergrift of Guadalcanal. There is another listed on eBay at this moment - check it out under "Vandergrift Jacket"

-dixon cannon

Hey, you dont expect the Marines to refer to their uniforms after an Army General do you??? ;)
Seriously, the USMC seem to be very independent. Initially just before WWII didnt they decline issue of the M1 Garand?
And even today, their camo pattern is separate from the US army pattern.

And its Vandegrift, not vandergrift
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Vandegrift

470px-1stLt_Vandegrift_c13975.jpg

180px-AAVandegrift.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff