Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'll have a Scotch...

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Truth be told, I'm pretty new to the Scotch scene. All I've had so far are blended Scotches, so I can't honestly say. I plan on trying some single malts soon, though. I'll let you know!

I do like Scotch ales, which I believe are made from the same malt that is used in Scotch whiskey. Very tasty!

Brad

Originally posted by Brad Bowers
Truth be told, I'm pretty new to the Scotch scene. All I've had so far are blended Scotches, so I can't honestly say. I plan on trying some single malts soon, though. I'll let you know!

Oh boy are you in for a treat! :D I remember my first single malt. I couldn't believe the difference. You had better try it sitting down. ;)

Originally posted by Brad Bowers
I do like Scotch ales, which I believe are made from the same malt that is used in Scotch whiskey. Very tasty!

Brad

Hmm.... I think they are made from the same malted barley. Do they have a peaty taste to them or perhaps a spicy character? Now I am curious. What are some good brands?

Regards to all,

J

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
Blending scotch is like blending wine. Hard to do well.

A small correction and a bit of trivia. The term Whisky is used for Scotch and Canadian distilled spirits. Whiskey refers to Irish and U.S. based alcohol.

As to your explanation of aging; Correctomondo. As marketing goes, bigger numbers must be better. There are some incredible older whiskies out there, though.

Let's not forget the angel's share. ;)

Originally posted by jamespowers
RG, You are a gentleman, scholar and above all a good judge of whiskey.

There are darn few of us left, too. LOL

Tom

I did forget to mention the difference in spelling didn't I? :D
Those incredible older whiskeys are few and far between but if you run across one don't forget to send the recommendation along. ;)
You can always send the angel's share to me. I will make sure the angels get it. LOL LOL
There are few good judges of whiskey out there. It seems we have them all in here though. :D Maybe we ought to rent ourselves out to the distilleries as taste testers. LOL

Regards to all,

J

P.S. Blended wine?! :eek:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for setting me straight on the spelling!

What are some good brands?

I can't remember the others I've tried, but the one I keep stocked up on is McEwan's. Very rich, for an ale.

Brad

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
Maybe we ought to rent ourselves out to the distilleries as taste testers. LOL

Now your talkin'! :D

I'm not familiar with Scottish ales. Something else to drink....I mean research.

Tom

Originally posted by Retro Grouch
I'm not familiar with Scottish ales. Something else to drink....I mean research.

Tom

Ah yes, research.
Like old W.C. used to say---"Say anything that you like about me except that I drink water. "
"Water rusts pipes."
" "Fish" mess around (his words are not quite polite enough for me to use in between) "in it."
And Lastly my favorite. "Some weasel took the cork out of my lunch..."
LOL

Regards to all,

J

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Ah, I sit here nursing a single malt Scotch....

I looked in my wallet, and decided I could afford Speyburn. After all, the wife got paid yesterday!;)

I can't compare it to any other single malts, since this is my first, but this one is pretty good. It starts with notes of honey and malt, crests with a understated spicyness, and finishes off with a hint of peat.

My other choice in the $20 price range was McClelland, and they had the Highland, Lowland, and Islay versions, not the Speyside.

Hmm, the peat aftertaste kind of hangs around.

Still, I'm warmly satisfied with my first purchase and look foward to pursuing a larger world of single malt Scotches.

Brad

Very good Brad. I am glad you got the chance. Nice to hear that you didn't have a bad experience with the first choice. That usually sours the experiencer for the rest of the single malt Scotches.
I nursed a Macallan yesterday when the lights went out for an hour or so. It gave me a chance to sit out in the yard under a tree reading, smoking a Pinard 1000 and sipping a nice Scotch. Ok, so I had two scotches and two cigars---It was a long few hours. LOL

Regards to all,

J

rick5150

One of the Regulars
Has anybody tried the Glens? I have not seen them mentioned yet. I have had Glenlivet 12-year-old, Glenfiddich 18-year-old and currently Glenmorangie10-year-old. Talisker 10 year old is decent as well. I am not a whisky snob (yet), but practice makes perfect...

All of those are perfectly fine Scotches. I particularly like Talisker.
I think Glenfiddich 18 year old is a bit of a waste of money because the regular 10 year old is just as good to me.
If you have tasted all of those single malts then you are well on your way to becoming a "whisky snob." You even have the spelling down correctly. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I'll be trying the Glenlivet and Glenfiddich soon. After calling around to the restaurants in town that serve alcohol, I found a restaurant here that serves both of those.

There is a new steakhouse being built by a local lad who has had success with opening a nice Mexican restaurant in the old train depot. This new place looks classy from the outside, so I'm hoping they might get a nice selection of single malts. Scotch and steak, mmmm.

Brad

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
...you are well on your way to becoming a "whisky snob."

I really don't like that term. How about "whisky elitist"? :D

Interesting that you mentioned cigars and scotch. Personally, a cigar dampens the taste of scotch too much. I'd rather enjoy one or the other but not together. Now, a cigar and good coffee, that's another story. :cool:

Brad,
Mmmmm steak and scotch. Thanks for making me hungry. LOL

Tom

Elitist is fine with me too. :D
I do not have a problem with dampening when having some Scotch with my Cigars. In fact, when I think of Cigars it also evokes an image of the cigar and a drink together. ;) Now I will admit the reading did distract me a bit so I put the book down soon after going outside. LOL
Hmmm... Steak and Scotch. I am glad it will soon be lunch time here. I see a nice lunch around the corner. ;)

Regards to all,

J

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
How's this for reviving an old thread? Slainte! :cheers1:

Retro Grouch said:
Glad you enjoyed it. Single malts can be very addicting. ;)

Yes, they can. My favorite is Ardbeg, an Islay single malt. It has a smoky, peaty flavor, but has a bit of a fruity taste to it as well.

jamespowers said:
Nice to hear that you didn't have a bad experience with the first choice. That usually sours the experiencer for the rest of the single malt Scotches.

My first was a Walker Red Label. Ick. Of course, since I was just starting to drink, I didn't know any better. I had no idea what one ordered at a bar, so I said, "scotch, on the rocks." I think I'd heard it in a movie somewhere.

jamespowers said:
(WildCelt note: post on Scottish ales) Now I am curious. What are some good brands?

I'm normally a fan of the Irish red ales, but my favorite beer has to be Fraoch, a Scottish heather ale. It is a full-bodied ale, but with a lighter floral taste (due to the heather flowers) and a rather wine-like dry finish.

WildCelt said:
How's this for reviving an old thread? Slainte! :cheers1:

Yes, they can. My favorite is Ardbeg, an Islay single malt. It has a smoky, peaty flavor, but has a bit of a fruity taste to it as well.

My first was a Walker Red Label. Ick. Of course, since I was just starting to drink, I didn't know any better. I had no idea what one ordered at a bar, so I said, "scotch, on the rocks." I think I'd heard it in a movie somewhere.

I'm normally a fan of the Irish red ales, but my favorite beer has to be Fraoch, a Scottish heather ale. It is a full-bodied ale, but with a lighter floral taste (due to the heather flowers) and a rather wine-like dry finish.

I am familiar with the Irish Reds. Not bad.
I'll have to try the Fraoch. Thanks.

Regards,

J

P.S. YOu respond to a Scotch thread or post one and I am there. ;)

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
Brad Bowers said:
12 y.o. Macallan versus 10 y.o. Laphroaig.

Can anybody offer a comparison? Both are about $47 at my local liquor store, this being Utah, a state-run store and the only liquor store in town.

I figure I will eventually try both anyway, but I wanted to get some idea if one is a waste of money. Actually, I shouldn't put it that way, because both are probably very decent Scotches, and not a waste of money.

I figure jamespowers will jump in on this one.

Brad

NO! NO! NO! NO!
Nothing bad to say with either of those mentioned.:eusa_clap
Both are fine SINGLE MALTS.

You want Scotch? You buy J&B, Cutty Sark, Black & White, Chivas. Those are blended Scotch Whiskies. Listerine and Pepsi is betterlol
Each (The Maccalan & Laphroaig) has it's own individual tase and balance. You will NOT go wrong with either of these. "Frog Juice" is pretty decent. Seems a bit pricy, but that is most likely because Government is involved with it's sale, and we all know how well Government works, don't we boys and girls.;)
You definitely could do much worse.
My personal favs are Talisker, Lagavulin Cask Strength , Caol Ola, Craggenmore (when I am in a pissed off mood)and the damned near impossible to find, Magdalene.:)
Glenlivet 18, is a suitable replacement as a sit, listen and sip substitute.
The Maccalan and "Frog dip" are fine. Fire up a decent R&J, pour three fingers into a clean glass. Add a splash of bottled water, place any Bill Evans, Stan Getz or Jeru on the MusicCuisinart,.....and you are off for a lovely evening. Or morning if THAT suits you. Or anytime .lol lol

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
All of those are perfectly fine Scotches. I particularly like Talisker.
I think Glenfiddich 18 year old is a bit of a waste of money because the regular 10 year old is just as good to me.
If you have tasted all of those single malts then you are well on your way to becoming a "whisky snob." You even have the spelling down correctly. ;)

Regards to all,

J

You pretty smart fella!!
I tip my sombrero to your VERY good taste.(Except for the Glenfiddich, which I cannot stand-personal taste;) I completely agree)
I am not a whisky snob, because I don't care who drinks what, or smokes what either. But I have platinum tastes in single malts and enjoy them to the point of embarrasment, along with selected music & cigars.

My best wishes for a lovely day.
G.Ashe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points