Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm Going To Italy.....

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Colby Jack said:
Congratulations my friend!...I can't wait to see all the pics!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Don't worry Buddy, I have a 2gig memory card in my camera and an extra battery. ;)

CB, I can't wait to see the fashion show. I just worry that the weather will be too cold though. :eusa_doh:

Carlisle Blues

Hi Bolt I was thinking about your trip when I stumbled accross the following in my library.

Name of the book is called "Style and the Man" by Alan Flusser. It is a nice primer regarding clothes and stores in various cities, Milan being one of them.

It also includes Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Florence, Hamburg, Houston, London, Los Angeles, Montreal, New York, Paris, Rome , San Fransisco, Tokyo, Toronto and Vienna.

Copyright 1996 so some of the stores mentioned may have changed, gone out of business or expanded.

Anyway I got perspective when reading this and some good ideas.

tortswon

Practically Family
Places to see

I think there are three must see places in Milan. In no particular order, the Duomo (Cathedral) especially the walk on the roof, Santa Maria della Grazie (the Last Supper is painted on one of the walls), and La Scala opera house. The train station is also magnificent.

Food wise, Milan is a risotto town, not a pasta town. Be sure to try risotto alla milanese (infused with saffron and named for the city). House wine is generally much better there than here. Four days is not a lot but don't waste too much time on sleeping. You can do that on the plane back.

Finally, when I travel in Europe I always take some little thing to give as a gift to people I meet. Being from Philly, I take a little Liberty Bell. Even a post card works. It has always been viewed as a nice gesture by whoever receives one.

Buon Viaggio fratello di Pennsylvania! Best, Sam

bolthead

Tort.....

tortswon said:
I think there are three must see places in Milan. In no particular order, the Duomo (Cathedral) especially the walk on the roof, Santa Maria della Grazie (the Last Supper is painted on one of the walls), and La Scala opera house. The train station is also magnificent.

Food wise, Milan is a risotto town, not a pasta town. Be sure to try risotto alla milanese (infused with saffron and named for the city). House wine is generally much better there than here. Four days is not a lot but don't waste too much time on sleeping. You can do that on the plane back.

Finally, when I travel in Europe I always take some little thing to give as a gift to people I meet. Being from Philly, I take a little Liberty Bell. Even a post card works. It has always been viewed as a nice gesture by whoever receives one.

Buon Viaggio fratello di Pennsylvania! Best, Sam
Awesome Sam, Thanks a bunch, and you can bet that whatever free time I get, it won't be sleeping, that's for sure.

I found out that our layover is in Dublin, coming back we have a 2 1/2 hr. wait until our next flight out of Ireland. Does anyone know for sure if there's any pubs or shops, etc.....right outside of the Dublin airport? :rolleyes:

Stoney

Practically Family
I don't think

you'll have any trouble getting a beer in Dublin. lol

Anyway congrats on the trip to Italy. I highly recommend the Linguine Carobonara.

Enjoy Bolthead,

Stoney

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Bolt, I don't know if you are in or out of the city but Franklin maps on Allendale rd has a great selection of tourist books. Cheap eats in Italy is a good one. Walk around and enjoy. I gave an old 2$ bill,he had a new post 76 one, to Gianni in Priano and he tore an old poster off the wall and gave it to me. Sam's the man do as he do but as you do.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I dont think the Barbisio store is there anymore. They closed all of their company stores a few years ago.
They had a beautiful shop in the Galleria in Milan for many years .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

bolthead

tortswon.....

Sam, thanks again for your information. You've been very helpful and I'm sure I'll be using the info you gave me as much as possible.

It was great talking with you.

Thanks again. :eusa_clap

D

demian

Dear bolthead:

Sure to be a bit late as you are leaving in a couple days.

Hopefully you shall read this beforehand.

You must goto MELEGARI.

One of the only milliners remaining.

It is an experience.

People talk of fashipn, etc. But those in the know realizes (as most things) one is buying a style nowadays, not quality any longer.

One would be surprised just how much is mfd. in China here with italian labels. So be careful at the markets that state proudly, "Made in Italy".

Melegari is historic Italian charm that one does not find any longer.

People from all of Italy go there and they are one of the handful of traditional milliners left in the world of top repute (as the 2-3 discussed here within the forum).

It is a treasure trove of little hide-away treasures. Just packed with vintage treasures. 3 floors.

They of course make their own hats, which I recommend.

Been family run for generations. Very knowledgeable and kindest people.

A must stop for you.

Cappelleria Mellegari
via Paolo Sarpi, 19
20154 Milano
tel. 02 312094

http://www.cappelleriamelegari.com/it/chi_siamo/dove_siamo.html

I don't know where else you are going.

Within Firenze, there are 2 Borsalino shops. Nothing like Melegari or so very unique/characteristic, but Firenze is small and they are right there as you pass...so why not!! (Prices especially high due to Euro now). Personally, I'd go vintage for variety of reasons. One can;t beat a vintage Borsalino in quality. One has to admire them for surviving..yet quality is not what it was (as is known here). Many are not even made by Borsalino today, but in Spain, or outsourced to others like Tesi.

I don't recommend the one near the shopping district at via Tornabuoni, etc.. (where one finds Cavalli, Gucci, etc). Unknowedgeable people really and indifferent.

The one at the historic center near Chiesa Orsanmichele/Piazza della Reppublica is more charming. Older couple run it and are very nice. Just ask one of the shops if you can't find it there.

Roma, at Piazza Navona (which certainly will be on your way to various sites and a stop in itself), goto Cappelleria Troncarelli.

Very historic and important shop.

ANTICA CAPPELLERIA TRONCARELLI Via della Cuccagna, 15 - Roma - P.IVA: 05803741007. Tel.: 06/6879320 - 06/45493448

http://www.troncarelli.it/

This is all worthy of note..you will have many other things to see while in Italy...and if you are not well traveled, you will be a bit too preoccupied otherwise anyway.

These are the best of Italy...if not anywhere.
You will regret not stopping at them afterwards realizing what you missed.

Other Italian marks of interest, Panizza, Tesi (the last straw hat mfr. based in Firenze(Florence) who also make fedoras, Guerra, and as mentioned, Melegari above all. Get a custom from them if I were you...

Take care and safe journey.

Should you need help, PM me.

bolthead

Demian.....

Wow, that's an amazing list you gave me, I only wish I get to see at least a few of them. As I stated, we have meetings with dignitaries for 2 days straight, we're only there for 4 days, and 2 of them are traveling. I hope to find something nearby, or in Milan or Parma,(1 day) as that's where I'll be staying for the 4 days.

It sounds like Mellegari is right in Milan, so hopefully I'll at least get to see that one. [huh]

I would really love to see the Opera House and do the roof walk in the Cathedral if nothing else. As far as the Train Station goes, I'll be getting a good look at that because we are traveling to Parma for 1 day/night, so I'm excited about that.

Thanks again to you, (Tort) and everyone else who helped me and gave me all these super tips and advice, it is greatly appreciated. ;)

I'll be sure to take a lot of pictures and can't wait to share them with you all.

Thanks again. :cheers1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart