Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm stuck in the 80s...automotively

Tom, no acquisition yet, but the project requires one cosmetically indistinguishable from an '86 (or readily converted to same).

Aftermarket sportscar parts are on-the-table too... especially since I also eventually aim to stuff an infinitely-variable transmission into it too, along with electromagnetically-actuated computer-timed valves like I plan for the Firebird project. Kill that camshaft and its rotational weight and drag off the crankshaft and I should see both horsepower and MPG gains, right?

Power windows, remote start, fingerprint-reader or RFID-trigger door locks, maybe an autopilot, what else am I forgetting?

Oh--have to store the guns and their preloaded mags in separate racks, and gotta find somewhere to stuff the onboard file-server and its array of terabyte hard-drives.

1983-1991 you're pretty good to go. I'd stick with 86 or later, for the fact of the 302 (5.0 liter) with fuel injection, vs the 351 with a Carburetor. Carbs are well and good if you're a car guy and like to putz a lot, but as far as a daily car, especially if you have cold winters, Fuel Injection is the way to go.

I am no automotive expert, I can just tell you what I've learned from what I've had to deal with.

And please let me know when those upgrades are available. I don't even have the touchpad door locks on my car let alone fingerprint-reader!

A guy at ThirdGen.org ("91RedBigFinZ", IIRC) designed a fingerprint-reader lock and prototyped it for his thesis at Notre Dame or Purdue--I took note because I figured KITT-builders would go nuts at not having to use keys any more "just like Michael Knight"... I liked it simply as a way to enhance vehicle security.

Out here in the Northwet, winters would actually be pretty warm by your standards--I can't remember ever seeing a daily low below the midtwenties in about 30 years... but I want my builds to be able to go from Fairbanks winter to Key West or Honolulu or Death Valley summer without so much as a fluid-mix change.

I was actually thinking to completely dump the OEM PCM-computer and replace it with an x86-architecture PC permanently hardwired into the car's electrical system--a guy at ThirdGen developed a cool little gadget called a "PROMinator" that lets a PC replace the limited-settings chip and retune the car on-the-fly in realtime as road or atmospheric conditions require. Problem is, it takes manual reading of graphs and retuning... you need something where you tell the computer what you want to do and it tweaks everything to fit that profile. Personally, I envision a huge use with using an "Accel" program to get up to speed on the highway and then "Economy" to stretch your distance between gas-stations while cruising on a roadtrip...

Boy you're pretty computer savvy, eh? I can operate a windows desktop or laptop, but good luck beyond that and some basic code! I'm impressed with your knowledge!

x86=Intel-based systems (read: "most commercially available desktop/laptop computers"). Actually, I'm about where you are compucrap-wise and far behind automotively, just that I'm a really big fan of seeking out others with some knowledge of the area I'm having a problem with, getting their advice and securing an OK to use any little gadgets they've developed that might help with meeting my goals. You might say I'm more "Assimilator and Assembler" than "Pioneer and Innovator"--anything I accomplish is because I've stood on the shoulders of geniuses and put their work together in a new way.

Or even just graft any FI system onto a 351, not necessarily the 302's? Would I lose more in the additional fuel required for the higher CID than I'd gain from the FI?

Now I just hope Ford has a variable-displacement system like GM's to shut down unneeded cylinders... perhaps it's time to take this subject to PM or email--I've kept it in public posting so far just in case this inspires someone else.

BTW, check out P71interceptor.com if you haven't already been there--treasure-trove of DIY refit info. Starting to noodle around CrownVic.net's forum too...

I'm no expert when it comes to fuel injection, but I do believe that it would physically mate up with any other small block Ford of a similar year.

That Holley, is that a Throttle body injection setup?

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
AtomicEraTom said:
I'm no expert when it comes to fuel injection, but I do believe that it would physically mate up with any other small block Ford of a similar year.

That Holley, is that a Throttle body injection setup?

Here it is on Holley’s website. It should fit in place of anything that used a standard Holley 4150 flange (including the Autolite/Motorcraft carbs that FoMoCo used for years). I think you could build your own setup using the MegaSquirt system, or buy a packaged kit with a standalone setup from Holley.

-Dave

davestlouis

Practically Family
Carbs are a pain in the neck, no question there. There's something to be said for purely mechanical systems, with no electronics involved...look at the Bosch continuous injection systems (K-Jet) that were used in German cars in the 70s and 80s...the whole thing worked on 80+ psi fuel pressure and a mechanical fuel distributor...no electronics at all. Simple and elegant.

I saw a late 70s Cadillac Seville the other day, the little square Nova-based one, and I want it! Silver with a black vinyl top, decent condition. It sure would look good in my driveway!

Chainsaw

Suspended
I saw a early-mid ninties Ford step side 4x4 pick up the other day that I've wanted since they were new. I still like it, but if one comes across my path one day, I'd have to change the grill. It was cutting edge, but I'd convert it to something custom.

Oh, Chevettes, learned to drive on one. I see the odd one every now and then that is mint. Which is rare as the winters destroy everything over here. We had an 86' Two tone blue (my mothers car) The rims were I think, some type of spider rims? Aluminum, with goodyears on it. It looked better than a stang man.

davestlouis

Practically Family
I worked for a guy in the mid-80s who was a diesel fanatic...everything from the International reefer trucks down to the C-10 and Chevette were diesel powered. A Chevette diesel with a 5 speed was still a slow, nasty little car, and I drove it on errands enough to know that. This guy even had Oldsmobile diesels, not just the 5.7L in the 88s and 98s, but a Cutlass Ciera, with, I think, a 4.3L diesel...now that was a screamer, relatively speaking, and sounded good too.

davestlouis

Practically Family
60-day report on my foray into the 90s...the 91 Audi is going strong, I've put 7,000 miles on it, no real problems, except for the non-functioning a/c which is a drag in a black car in 95 degree weather, and the droopy headliner fell most of the way out one day, and showered the interior with little globs of gooey orange foam insulation. I cut out the stretched fabric headliner material, vacuumed all of the foam off the fiberglass headliner shell, and went on my way.

I'm still/always on the lookout for something older and more interesting...

Pilgrim

One Too Many
About the Audi AC....

I'm on the road this week and can't respond at length but PM me and I'll send you a rundown on fixing that AC. It's not that hard on that model. Blendair in TX can provide the compressor at a good price.

Lou

One of the Regulars
I have fond memories of the 80's car scene. I remember seeing the 87 Mustang GT and thinking it was horribly ugly. Then I drove one and wanted it bad. Same for the Grand National. The IROC, Trans Am, and Corvette were the most popular in my area.

My father bought an 87 IROC new and still has it. I thought about trying to get dibs on it when he finally decides to sell it, then snapped back to reality. I'd need to drop a lot of cash into it to clean it up, then would most probably face regular repair bills. Those cars weren't as hot as they looked, so I'd want to do some discreet modification to get it to where I'd be satisfied with it. But my biggest turn-off is how plasticky those cars were. I'd rather go for something like a 60's Mustang.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk