Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Immensely Rare Palm Beach Suit... Bigger Guys

WHY OH WHY, for the damn millionth time, can't you edit posts in this stupid part of the website?

Anyway, I might add that any decent vintage in the London markets is pretty much instantly snapped up by the hordes of Japanese buyers. There are at least 6 that I know by sight. That's a lot for the small-ish markets we tend to have here.

For good rare vintage stuff - at least in my selling experience - "internet" and "pipeline to Japan" are essentially synonymous.

bk

repeatclicks

Practically Family
I respectfully disagree. His prices are on par with what you see at high end vintage stores for comparable pieces. Yes, they're on the high side, but I think "outrageously overpriced" is overstating matters. Checkout his auctions on eBay for less expensive items. I'm afraid the days of $10 thrift store Ricky jackets are looooong gone . . . I haven't even seen a decent gab shirt in a thrift store in like 2 - 3 years!

In the past, when I've asked, he has done deals for me, but I've been buying from Emerald City Vintage/Hick Up Lounge for years.

Precisely. I too have been buying from Emerald City for years and prices are realistic for the type of gear they source. On etsy, you have the massive convenience of a buy it now price, no waiting for auctions to end. It doesn't hurt to ask for a 'better' price, but let me know when you come across a deadstock gaucho for under $700. They don't exist, and a mate of mine has 3 and paid that much for each of them.

I don't even bother going to vintage shops anymore, I only buy online.

With that said, the last two suits I won on ebay were both rare and cheap (less than $100 each). I'll have to post photos later.

You might want to rethink that in London. Lots of nice stuff coming around these days for quite cheap. A fantastic baby blue flecked penneys suit in 36-38 L for £60 that might interest you.

I don't even bother going to vintage shops anymore, I only buy online.

With that said, the last two suits I won on ebay were both rare and cheap (less than $100 each). I'll have to post photos later.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
You might want to rethink that in London. Lots of nice stuff coming around these days for quite cheap. A fantastic baby blue flecked penneys suit in 36-38 L for £60 that might interest you.

I think I've already seen that one Baron, if its the one in Camden Stables at Vintage King and its too small. The trousers are too short on it and it just feels a bit tired out anyway. If it's not the one in camden stables, then where did you find it?

I know there is stuff to be found in London, but its never quite as good as the stuff I get privately.

I agree.

No, this one's not in Camden stables, though there is a store there with masses of nice stuff. Very pricey, but.

Are you in London? If you're interested in checking out the Penney's suit, it was still in the Cheshire Street beyond retro about a week ago. It's been on the rack about a month. I tried on the jacket and it, at least, is longer than I can manage. I got the impression the trousers might come in about a 30-31 inseam with a 32 waist. I didn't check it very closely for condition as it was too big for me …

bk

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
For good rare vintage stuff - at least in my selling experience - "internet" and "pipeline to Japan" are essentially synonymous.

bk

Haha, very true. Although, people I know who run online vintage businesses tell me that lots of their best items sell to Western Europe too, especially now that the dollar is so weak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo