Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Immensely Rare Palm Beach Suit... Bigger Guys

Gene

Practically Family
Not speaking of this suit, but some of that HicUpLounge guy's stuff is outrageously overpriced. Does he bargain at all (does anyone know him?)

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Not speaking of this suit, but some of that HicUpLounge guy's stuff is outrageously overpriced. Does he bargain at all (does anyone know him?)

I respectfully disagree. His prices are on par with what you see at high end vintage stores for comparable pieces. Yes, they're on the high side, but I think "outrageously overpriced" is overstating matters. Checkout his auctions on eBay for less expensive items. I'm afraid the days of $10 thrift store Ricky jackets are looooong gone . . . I haven't even seen a decent gab shirt in a thrift store in like 2 - 3 years!

In the past, when I've asked, he has done deals for me, but I've been buying from Emerald City Vintage/Hick Up Lounge for years.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
For a small but dedicated niche group of vintage enthusiasts, cream-colored Palm Beach Cloth suits --especially those with belted backs-- are iconic of 1920s and '30s summerwear. These suits scream "Gatsby" in the way that vintage double-breasted pinstripe suits say "golden era gangster". That, and their relative rarity --genuine Palm Beach cloth stopped being woven over 50 years ago-- make them "expensive".

Gene

Practically Family
I respectfully disagree. His prices are on par with what you see at high end vintage stores for comparable pieces. Yes, they're on the high side, but I think "outrageously overpriced" is overstating matters. Checkout his auctions on eBay for less expensive items. I'm afraid the days of $10 thrift store Ricky jackets are looooong gone . . . I haven't even seen a decent gab shirt in a thrift store in like 2 - 3 years!

In the past, when I've asked, he has done deals for me, but I've been buying from Emerald City Vintage/Hick Up Lounge for years.

Well, you all do live in California so I can't really comment on the vintage prices out there, but definitely not the climate here.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Well, you all do live in California so I can't really comment on the vintage prices out there, but definitely not the climate here.

Actually, thanks to the Internet and eBay, the prices of really high-end vintage menswear are no longer related to the retail sellers' location, but to the location of their customers. The high-end sellers may be situated in California (or in Kentucky, for that matter), but their customers are almost certainly in Japan, Europe, and Australia/New Zealand.

Gene

Practically Family
Actually, thanks to the Internet and eBay, the prices of really high-end vintage menswear are no longer related to the retail sellers' location, but to the location of their customers. The high-end sellers may be situated in California (or in Kentucky, for that matter), but their customers are almost certainly in Japan, Europe, and Australia/New Zealand.

Good point, I find myself selling mostly to those countries when it comes to WWII militaria. I guess what I meant to say was around here there are still many things to be found much cheaper, even in the vintage clothing shops. Then again, there isn't much of a demand around here for vintage menswear.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I guess what I meant to say was around here there are still many things to be found much cheaper, even in the vintage clothing shops. Then again, there isn't much of a demand around here for vintage menswear.

Good point! Some vintage shops are still offering same kind of stuff that was in demand in the '90s, even though tastes have changed and there are fewer (local) takers. The shops' response has been to lower their prices.

(This doesn't happen so much in the big cities on the east and west coasts. In L.A., for instance, nearly all vintage shops have adapted by ceasing to sell '30s and '40s clothing, opting instead for '70s and '80s "ironic hipster" wear.)

Gene

Practically Family
Good point! Some vintage shops are still offering same kind of stuff that was in demand in the '90s, even though tastes have changed and there are fewer (local) takers. The shops' response has been to lower their prices.

(This doesn't happen so much in the big cities on the east and west coasts. In L.A., for instance, nearly all vintage shops have adapted by ceasing to sell '30s and '40s clothing, opting instead for '70s and '80s "ironic hipster" wear.)

Again since the furthest West I've ever gone is Texas, I can't speak for LA, but I can say for sure that the ironic hipster phenomenon is just as prevalent here in the "flyover states." Probably the best and finest local shop here (Nitty Gritty shameless plug) stocks mostly 70's and 80's shirts and pants and the thing is, the guys eat it up...usually it's for costumes or the local hipster searching for that 80's tee of George Michael and Wham!. Every now and then a great Gab shirt or "Ricky" jacket will be in stock for less than 1/3 of the retail asking price, and that is hard to beat...thing is, I would guesstimate there are probably around 50 guys in a region of a little over a million who like that stuff, so the pickings are still good here.

If anyone is interested in anything I may happen to come across, let me know, I can usually be on the lookout for specific things!

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Interesting. In my experience buying vintage while traveling -- and traveling to buy vintage -- there is noticeable regionalism to what one finds.

For example, in Texas and the South West there's a lot of western wear, whereas in the Pacific North West and in farming regions I've more work wear and outdoors clothing. What I've also noticed, though, is that traditionally affluent areas, like SF and LA, tend to have items that were higher end when new (read: designer labels). It's not uncommon to find designer label items at estate sales and flea markets here. Another thing I've noticed is areas that traditional had large black and Latino communities tend to have more "cool" vintage (you didn't catch many Iowa farmers in pink rayon peg pants in the 50s, afterall).

How that computes to West Coast Vintage, I don't know since most work wear and flashy 50s stuff ends up on the Internet or the pipeline to Japan . . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo