Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Imperial Stetson Homburg (made in England)

Dickie

New in Town
Hi there everybody - I'm fairly new as well - though I've made a couple of posts here and there... :) I wondered what you all though of one of my first hat purchases... Unfortunately it's a bit big for me - I bought it when I didn't really know what my hat size was! I had a go at shrinking it a bit but a think the homburg felt is a bit stiff for shrinking as it didn't work and I don't want to do anything more drastic unless I ruin it! (it's a UK size 7 1/4 US 7 3/8)

Anyhow - here it is - it's an Imperial Stetson Homburg made under licence in England and Sold by Brown Muffs of Bradford, Yorkshire. I think the date is 1968 as the brown muffs box it came in has a postal date of '68 on it - although it may be the wrong box of course. The stamp inside of it gives the name of the hat as the 'Gladstone'.

I wondered what you chaps thought of the quality of hats made under license and how they compare to those of American Stetsons... And also how 'Imperial Stetson' differs from 'Royal Stetson' etc... Anyhow, tell me what you think! :)

hat-stetson017.jpg

hat-stetson004.jpg

akaBruno

Suspended
I've folded newspaper and inserted it in the sweatband before. They make foam shims. In fact, one came with the hat I'm wearing at this very moment.

shim (shĭm)
n.
A thin, often tapered piece of material, such as wood, stone, or metal, used to fill gaps, make something level, or adjust something to fit properly.

tr.v., shimmed, shim¬?ming, shims.
To fill in, level, or adjust by using shims or a shim.

Dickie

New in Town
Thanks very much - you learn something new every day - 10 things if you spend time on the fedora lounge!!! I'll have to give it a go.

Here's a photo of the Sweatband, Logo and Stitching...

hat-stetson007.jpg

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
I know yours is a fine hat, 'cause I've got one too!

Yep, that's a nice one. My best Homburg is this black English Stetson Imperial:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/jtban1/album/576460762329105737

It appears the only difference might be the bash, with yours having the more traditional center dent. Make no mistake, you've got a first-rate and hard-to-find hat there.

I agree with the shim idea. You can use felt or cork strips as well. Start with positioning two strips inside the sweatband across from each other. Try front/back, then side/side and see which feels better. If still too loose, put in four strips (front/back/side/side) or double the strips in thickness.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Hi Dickie,
Stetson hats have been made all over the world under license. I have seen hats made in Canada , Italy, Mexico, Spain and Australia all with the Stetson name. If yours was made in the UK ,then it's a good hat!

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Snrbfshn said:
Yep, that's a nice one. My best Homburg is this black English Stetson Imperial:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/jtban1/album/576460762329105737

It appears the only difference might be the bash, with yours having the more traditional center dent. Make no mistake, you've got a first-rate and hard-to-find hat there.

I agree with the shim idea. You can use felt or cork strips as well. Start with positioning two strips inside the sweatband across from each other. Try front/back, then side/side and see which feels better. If still too loose, put in four strips (front/back/side/side) or double the strips in thickness.
I like your Homburg alot, especially the way you have the pinch on it. ;)

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
When you try to shrink a hat, the biggest limitation is the sweatband. You may have to remove it, cut it down to fit your head, then sew it back in, after shrinking the body. But the most you can go is like from 7 1/4 to 7 1/8. If you spend several days, and use the stitches to pull the size down, it is possible, with soft fur, to reduce it one more step to a 7. As far as shimming, it's easier but the results may or may not be comfortable to wear. If the hat still touches your ears, you can put tissue or a handherchief in the crown, behind the lining. This will raise the hat slightly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn