Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In pictures: the Aero 50s halfbelt (take 3)

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Loungers, here are some pictures of my latest Aero in its latest iteration. It ended up being a rather drawn-out story, this jacket. I think I have had four versions of it. I ordered a cordovan hb some time ago, kept it for about a year, and then decided it was too short and too waisted. So I traded it in for a different size and leather colour. I posted some pics of that here and decided that it, too, was a little too short. So Aero remade the jacket for me, with the disappointing result that it was way too large all over. (I did just ask for the length to be increased.) So I sent that back to be altered, with the result you see below. But now I'm wondering whether this jacket isn't a little too long and too narrow at the waist. Let me know your thoughts, Loungers, and whether I shouldn't just relax a little. (Btw, it's a size 38 with 1" more on the sleeves and and 1.5" (ish) on the length. I'm 6'1".) Sir Jacket

Aero_150711_0009.jpg

Aero_150711_0002.jpg

Aero_150711_0007.jpg

Aero_150711_0006.jpg

Aero_150711_0002.jpg

Aero_150711_0010.jpg

Aero_150711_0011.jpg

Aero_150711_0013.jpg

Aero_150711_0014.jpg

Metatron

One Too Many
SirJacket, I remember that other halfbelt that was a bit too short in the front, you were right, the fit wasn't quite right.
But this one is a keeper, it looks just right. That's a good look too, very natural looking.

How much did you have it lengthened from the standard size? I'm 1.87m tall and I assume I would require a similar modification if I were to get an aero.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Thanks for the reassuring words, fellas.

Blethook, yes, I did swap the back for a one-piece because Will told me that would minimise the nipped-in, waisted look.

Jan, no, the trousers are actually Muji. Their clothing is often not so well cut but they sometimes seem to get trousers right, as with these, this season.

Metatron, it's about 1.5" longer than standard in the body and about 1" longer in the sleeves, but don't take this as gospel because the problem was that some of the alterations were a little off. At your height, I'd suggest 2" or so on the body but go through it all quite precisely with Amanda or Will, including whether you wear low- or hi-rise trousers, etc - it's worth it.

I still think my jacket is a tiny bit too narrow at the waist. Would have been better had we got it right the first time but it's obviously possible to become too obsessive about "the perfect leather jacket".

Carnacki25

New in Town
The fit looks perfect. Looks like you might have enough room for a light sweater or something too, so its perfect in my opinion. Congrats.

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
Sir Jacket,

Its hard to tell if the sleeves are too long or not, as you have your hands tucked in. But in the pics this does not look too long, it is only too long if you feel it is too long for your taste. I would say if you can take in a deep breath without the waist band restricting you, or you can sit comfortably, the waist is OK too. BTW it must be warm wearing that jacket in the tropics. :)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Looks great. I woudl have added a further inch in the torso, but that's just me - I think many of us wear our jackets too short. I like the jacket to fall 2 inches over the beltline when zipped up. Nice job, Sir.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Hoosier Daddy. Forgot about the yoke.

Seb Lucas, it depends if you wear your trousers on your hips or on your waist. If you wear high waisted trousers Sir Jacket's jacket could even be shorter. My 1930s Halfbelt-Luftwaffe hybrid is much shorter. As he wears it with low rise trousers the length looks perfectly alright to me, though.

D

Deleted member 16736

Where do you live? I love the vegetation in your pictures. Looks like Hawaii.

Edward

Bartender
Jan, no, the trousers are actually Muji. Their clothing is often not so well cut but they sometimes seem to get trousers right, as with these, this season.

Oh"! I'll check those out. I had a pair of Muji trousers years ago.... I got too fat for them n the end, but didn't wear them much anyhow due to the wide leg. Now that the wider leg is what I'm all about, so to speak, I must check them out again... I seem to remember the quality was pretty good and the waist was of a reasonable height also?

What's the difference between a 50s Halfbelt without a halfbelt and a Highwayman?

Aside form the yoke, the Highwayman is a much boxier fit as standard. 50s half belt is somewhere between that and the 30s halfbelt.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Hoosier Daddy. Forgot about the yoke.

Seb Lucas, it depends if you wear your trousers on your hips or on your waist. If you wear high waisted trousers Sir Jacket's jacket could even be shorter. My 1930s Halfbelt-Luftwaffe hybrid is much shorter. As he wears it with low rise trousers the length looks perfectly alright to me, though.

I'm aware of the trouser issue. I still think if you look at the torso length of most jackets they are too short by about 2 inches. It's one of my pet hates. ;)

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
Sir J - your preachin' to the choir! I personally find the length of both body and sleeves to be fine. It is interesting to me to see a HB that looks as roomy as this one does. It looks comfortable without being overly boxy like my highwayman. Depending on how your wanting it to look and fit I would say on your frame that it looks fitting. Though I know it's easy to be overly critical I am not sure I would change much in this recent iteration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy