Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In Praise of Narrow Brims

Greaser Cat

New in Town
Yeps said:
I tend to associate the stingy brim, especially in odd materials (khaki, pinstripes, etc.), with the punk/ska aesthetic. I dislike them because they seem to me to be contrary to the purpose of a hat, that is, to keep the weather, be it sun, rain, or snow out of one's face. But that is just my opinion.

That's just not true at all. Real, Clash-style punk rockers (of which I once was/sort of still am) wear real, actual fedoras...

The Clash:

lgart027.jpg

Mike Ness of Social Distortion:

MikeNess.jpg

Gabby of The Cadillac Tramps:

NA1_5887.jpg

So if one is wearing a trilby (which is what the hat is if it comes in the odd materials you described) and claims to be part of the punk rock subculture, then he or she knows nothing about either hats or punk rock. But perhaps you were referencing the original meaning of the word "punk" and not the music-related punk rock subculture? If so, then my apologies, and perhaps I should have applied a more charitable interpretation of your post. :)

frussell

One Too Many
Maybe Now, Not Then

I associate the patterned stingies I see now with 13-year old girls, not with the ska movement I grew up with in the late 70s. Stingy brim trilbies (usually black) and dark slim-fitting suits were more common. Maybe something in black and white checkered now and then. Today's so called "ska movement" seems to dress exactly like the girls I see at the mall wearing "Twilight" t-shirts. It's nice that they are wearing hats and all, but the ska style I'm used to was not available at Hot Topic when we were sporting it. You had to cruise thrift shops relentlessly, as most of the styles we were wearing were either 50s and 60s leftovers, or had to be imported from the UK, where the "Mod" look was easily adapted to the ska style. It's totally different now, although the Specials are back, and as good as ever. As far as punk, all those guys are getting old, and the ones I liked the most are dead. I saw the Clash in Austin twice my freshman year of college. Geez I miss Joe Strummer. I bet he'd be wearing a fedora right now if he were alive. The man had style. Frank

simmonsgc

Familiar Face
Greaser Cat said:
That's just not true at all. Real, Clash-style punk rockers (of which I once was/sort of still am) wear real, actual fedoras...

Mike Ness of Social Distortion:

MikeNess.jpg

..and I really dig the porkpie on the martini-swillin' skeleton.

GC

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Greaser Cat said:

My apologies. I phrased that rather poorly. It could be better said that I associate the offending trilbies with those who affect the punk/ska aesthetic in order to seem rebellious in their conformity, these mostly being rather well off high school kids.

Greaser Cat

New in Town
Yeps said:
My apologies. I phrased that rather poorly. It could be better said that I associate the offending trilbies with those who affect the punk/ska aesthetic in order to seem rebellious in their conformity, these mostly being rather well off high school kids.

And when phrased that way, we agree. :cool2:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
again, my sincerest apologies. Unfortunately, being of the millenial generation, when i hear punk i tend to think of the poor facsimiles thereof which crowd the high schools in my area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland