Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In Praise of Narrow Brims

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
Arrrgghhh...wrong thread

Sorry...I had 2 IE windows open...this should be on the "Remove your hat" thread

Apologies all around...and scotch!:eek:fftopic:

dressed2the9's

Familiar Face
I always like the wide brims much better and look better in wide brims and I'm 5 '8 and 126 pounds. But its all a matter of taste by the way when on the lounge the fedora stays on.

matei

One Too Many
Senator Jack said:
jackbelmont.jpg

belmont.jpg
Hey - is that a Gretsch I spy in the background?

Magus

Practically Family
Senator Jack said:
Matei,

You're the second member to spot that Gretsch 6120. That's a newer model - I got it around '98. The old ones are cool but they just don't stay in tune!

Regards,

Senator Jack

I play a Heritage H575 Classic. It is the replacement for my Gretsch that was stolen....though the G was a great guitar I have to say that I really prefer the Heritage.

Magus

Practically Family
Senator Jack said:
Undoubtedly, Gretsch is a rough guitar. I had a 70s Broadcaster as a kid, and though I loved the way the guitar looked, it was hard to play punk on it. Don't know how Billy Zoom managed to do it without all the feedback. Now my volume is a lot lower and I understand.

Regards,

Senator Jack

My experience is that the feedback is really only a problem with them when you AREN' playing. If we take Ted Nugent as an example of Extream volume (the wall of amp speakers behind him were hot...and he was playing a hollow body)...and long as he was rollin...no feedback...but the second you stop...look out. I find the same thing true of my Heritage (which is essentially a hand made Gibson hollowbody)...the moment of feedback is more controllable than the Gretsch was to be sure though.

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
The Heritage is like the 335, 345, 355 Gibsons; solid block down the middle with the Tune-O-Matic sunk into the wood. Most of the Gretsches are truly hollow with the bridge resting on the top. Between the bridge moving around (unless its pinned), the Bigsby, and the "soft" construction, it's amazing that Rev Horton Heat's stays in tune as well as it does. I have had lots of vintage ones (6120's, Gents, Streamliner a la Monkees, and an old jazzer) and none liked to stay in tune...oops - off thread topic again???

How many A.D.D. kids does it take to replace a light bulb?
I don't know - let's go ride bikes!!

WEEGEE

Practically Family
One of my favorites...

picked this up on e..y about a year and a half ago...

Knox Premier 1 3/4 brim 4 inch crown...mint...holds the elipse block

yet the felt is soft...never seen this style block before.

ELIPSESTINGY1.jpg

ELIPSESTINGY2.jpg

I like to wear the gambit of width and heights on my hats...hatitude and

wardrobe...just a combination of password and persuasion.

WeeGee

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
WEEGEE said:
picked this up on e..y about a year and a half ago...

Knox Premier 1 3/4 brim 4 inch crown...mint...holds the elipse block

yet the felt is soft...never seen this style block before.

I've never seen this block before either...very nice. I like different looks in hats, this seems to be one of them. I like some short brim hats but they just don't seem to work with my 'hattitude'.

WEEGEE

Practically Family
I'll get and idea/opinion during the NYC event

perhaps i am a fool ... to feel comfortable in many widths and heights...

styles and such...i'll put it up for a vote on the NYC gathering.

Magus

Practically Family
PutALidOnIt said:
The Heritage is like the 335, 345, 355 Gibsons; solid block down the middle with the Tune-O-Matic sunk into the wood. Most of the Gretsches are truly hollow with the bridge resting on the top. Between the bridge moving around (unless its pinned), the Bigsby, and the "soft" construction, it's amazing that Rev Horton Heat's stays in tune as well as it does. I have had lots of vintage ones (6120's, Gents, Streamliner a la Monkees, and an old jazzer) and none liked to stay in tune...oops - off thread topic again???

How many A.D.D. kids does it take to replace a light bulb?
I don't know - let's go ride bikes!!

Yeah we are a bit "off topic" huh? ooops...but by the way my Heritage has a wood disconnected bridge as well.
Hmmm....if we are gonna keep up like this maybe we chould move the topic to...where?

M

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Something similar?

WEEGEE said:
Any one seen this block before...and does it have a name.

(images)

Thanks,

WeeGee
It looks quite similar to my Thomas Begg (with 1" brim), an ellipse protruding upwards. I've no idea what to call it. I've never seen anything vaguely similar, until now.

tb1.jpg

tb2.jpg

Katt in Hat

A-List Customer
Strange?, strange?, you can't handle strange...

You Can Leave Your Hat On Lyrics
Artist: Randy Newman
Album: Sail Away

Baby take off your coat...(real slow)
Baby take off your shoes...(here I'll take your shoes)
Baby take off your dress
Yes yes yes
You can leave your hat on

Go on over there and turn on the light...no all the lights
Now come back here and stand on this chair...that's right
Raise your arms up in to the air...shake 'em
You give me a reason to live

Suspicious minds are talking
Trying to tear us apart
They say that my love is wrong
They don't know what love is
I know what love is
Related:

Tyme 4 bed...

Greaser Cat

New in Town
This thread actually sort of addresses my problem. I normally wear stingy brim fedoras (usually 1.5" to 2" brims) with a pinch front crown and wear them close to the brow, slightly tilted to the side with the brim up. I like it this way because it's really tough looking, but still classy. The problem is, people keep assuming I'm into ska, even though I'm not (but each to his or her own), and ska types usually wear fedoras without the pinched front, farther back on their heads, and with the brim down. Is there any way I can avoid this misclassification problem? Or do I just have to accept that some people are just not that bright?

Greaser Cat

New in Town
frussell said:
I'd be happy if some folks where I live even knew what "ska types" looked like. Frank

Well, I live over in L.A. County, and if they think I look ska, then clearly they don't know out here, either.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I tend to associate the stingy brim, especially in odd materials (khaki, pinstripes, etc.), with the punk/ska aesthetic. I dislike them because they seem to me to be contrary to the purpose of a hat, that is, to keep the weather, be it sun, rain, or snow out of one's face. But that is just my opinion.

In my opinion, if you still insist on stingy brimmed hats, the way to avoid the punk/ska look, is to wear clothes that fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner