Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In Search Of: The Great Hot Dog Stand

I had the Angus Beef Chicago dog at Der Wienersnchitzle at the Santa Anita Mall (right next to the famous racetrack) and it was "actually" quite good for the chain stand dog. They recently went upscale to Angus beef i think.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
""Jimmie Johns Pipin' Hot" in West Chester, PA. The real one not the chain. Natural casing snap when you bite em. Burned to the ground on the morning of it's 70th anniversary but they are rebuilding.
Tom D.

Kinney

New in Town
The best place I know of in Connecticut is Blackie's Hot Dog Stand in Cheshire.

storefront.jpg

Granted, I don't think it looks like that anymore. Open since the 20's, they are very traditional. They are closed on Fridays, don't serve french fries. Their relish is the key (which can be ordered online!), and you gotta get a dog with some birch beer to wash it down!

I'm actually a new convert, having only been there recently. Sat on a stool next to a burly biker chap who polished off 5 dogs. It was a great experience.

Oh, and the relish is pepper.

Adcurium

A-List Customer
1961MJS said:
Hi Kinney

Blackie's sounds good. What is birch beer? Where do I get some to try.

Later

Birch beer was/is very popular where I grew up in North Eastern PA. And I know Mack's Pizza on the Boardwalk in Wildwood NJ serves it. I've never seen it anywhere else. The first time I ever took my wife to PA she said the same thing: "What the heck is Birch Beer?"

Went to Jerry's Dogs which is on the East side of Beach Blvd just South of Imperial Highway with Matt Deckard last week.

We both had one of their signature dogs with the natural casing done over their wood fire set up. I had some warm sauerkrut, white onions raw, some Cleveland Stadium Mustard and a little Catsup for the sweetness. Really good. I don't recall what Matt had on his but he really enjoyed their hot dog.

I got a half and half Raspberry Nestea and unsweetened China Mist Iced Tea for the beverage of choice there.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
John in Covina said:
a little Catsup for the sweetness.
:eek: :eusa_doh: Seriously, isn't the official cutoff for using catsup something like 14 years old?

:p

No. Ketchup or catsup is a condiment like the rest.
I usually use a small amount not drowning the dog in it.
Here it offsets the very tart kraut these guys use.

De gustibus non est desputandum. You can't argue tastes.

To me the finest Saki produced today tastes like either record cleaner or racid dishwater, why others enjoy that I don't know.:eek:

Unca Dusty

Familiar Face
1961MJS said:
Hi Kinney

Blackie's sounds good. What is birch beer? Where do I get some to try.

Later

I bought a six pack Sioux City Birch Beer (part of the White Rock Beverage Co. line) at a Dillon's in Lawrence, KS--I bet you could find it in Wichita.

Unca Dusty

Familiar Face
Eichten's Bison Brats

I love Eichten's bison meat brats
http://www.shop.specialtycheese.com/category.sc?categoryId=5

Their liverwurst is fantastic, too. Pretty good artisan cheeses as well. And an Eichten bison ribeye can't be beat (although at 15 bucks a pound retail a little out of my everyday range...) but back to dogs...

George's Hot Dog Stand is pretty good. He runs a cart in Downtown St. Paul, usually in Rice Park next to the cool F. Scott Fitzgerald statue. I usually get the Polish ("The Big One"--size of my forearm) with kraut, brown mustard, and diced white onion. Love the snap of that casing.

And I love a good Chicago Dog. Jakeeno's Pizza in the Midtown Global Market has a good one, although I was once told you are never supposed to broil the frank for a Chi-Dog and they send theirs through their pizza oven conveyor--still delicious. But really, there are lots of places in the Twin Cities that make a good Chicago Dog.

Kinney

New in Town
Birch beer seems to be seasonal, I have no idea whether it's regional or not. This time of year you can usually find it.

jwalls

Vendor
Lum's in Atlanta,

I don't even know if Lum's still exist, but when I was in school in Atlanta their beer steamed hot dogs were the best ever.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
I like the hotdogs from Dearborn Sausage Company. Their Kielbasa is great, too.

As far as hot-dog "venue", that would have to be Lafayette Coney Island in downtown Detroit. I get my coneys with "everything", which is chili sauce, diced onions, and yellow mustard.

jwalls said:
I don't even know if Lum's still exist, but when I was in school in Atlanta their beer steamed hot dogs were the best ever.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

There was a Lum's on Route 110 on Long Island north of Amityville somewheres. My dad took us there a couple of times. Dad liked the concept of steamed in beer as a flavor enhancer. It was good. Also it may have been the first place that I can recall where they encouraged you to throw the peanut shells on the floor. (That disturbed my mom a lot. - She was a neat and clean person and it rubbed her the wrong way.)

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I'm not much for new Hollywood, LiLo and all that, BUT (an extremely large but) I liked Pinks and would go back twice a week if I could. Any place that has like 18 different condiments to put on foot long hot dogs or bratwurst gets my vote every day. Foot long Chili Cheese Bacon dog with grilled onions and brown mustard washed down with Orange Crush.

Sigh...

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21