Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

in the mix

clsecmbt

New in Town
I'm here with my observations, indeed.

I see a lot of you folks, men and women alike, as ?¢‚Ǩ?ìpurists?¢‚Ǩ? to your eras. While some may even have different eras to choose from, the subsets are clearly defined.

Myself, I like to mix things up.

I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m taking the lids and the conversation from the 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s/50?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s, combining the eyewear of the ?¢‚ǨÀú60?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s, adding the ride of the 70?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s (my 1971 Ford Maverick), layering these across a young man from the 80?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s, and stirring it all together with music across the ages.

I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ve followed the lounge for over a year now, and I really enjoy the styles, the conversations, the information, and the people. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ve always felt myself generations late for my type of thinking and feeling. Here, I feel at home with people I hardly know.

So, hats off to you folks and a Happy Thanksgiving as well.

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
Welcome

Welcome to the lounge. I to have haunted the lounge for a long time before actually posting. This is a good bunch of people. We come from all walks of life and ages. We dont always agree with each other on politics, religion and other things but we try to be civil and allow others to have their opinions without to much hassel. I am a semi-purist, mainly because I am a large person and can not find vintage 30s and 40s in my size. I wear modern suits but I wear them vintage style. I hope to find me a good tailor and some good vintage era style material and have a nice suit done. I am a WWII reenactor and I do come across good reproduction uniforms that are very well made from time to time. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving.:cheers1:

Gray Ghost

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Hi! I do the same sort of thing for everyday wear. I pick up shirts, jackets, and sweaters at the thrift store that may be 70's or 80's "vintage" and wear them with modern pants, and throw a vintage twist on them. The good thing about doing this is that in the 70's the influence was highly 30's, in the 80's it was 40's. It's basically the same as going to the store today and getting something "vintage inspired" but you get it for about $4.99. And then every once in a while you run across the real deal at the thrift store so it makes the whole thing even more exciting! Off hand, I have things in my closet from the victorian era on up... though I generally only wear original vintage from the 30's and 40's with care- then the 50's on up for general everyday wear. Not only is it fun to mix the different eras, but as a girl, it always seems like I'm one step ahead of the fashion cycle. Vintage is really getting big right now, and the pages of my new Lucky magazine has pieces that are new that I've been wearing for years! And that I picked up for under $20 in the most cases! Why would you pay $300 when you can get vintage from the flea market or thrift store? Of course, this has the adverse effect as well, as you now see vintage dealers marking up clothing rediculously high simply because it is "in fashion". It truly is a shame for the collectors. Ah well, sorry for the long rant, but here's someone else signing in who "mixes it up".

If you don't agree blame it on my college education (I went to FIDM).

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I've always driven cars from the '60s and '70s. I've owned my share of '70s vintage clothes. Much of my casual wardrobe can only be called '50s greaser(and not the modern interpretation thereof, either)

I'm a purist when it comes to depicting a specific era. If I'm not trying, Im all over the place.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Good thread, as a teenager in the mid 1960's myself & friends use to haunt the thrift stores all the time for tweed jackets & other prep fasions, there was no stigma in fact in my circle buying this way was considered very cool! I really like the late 1940's mens styles swing ties, fedoras & double breasted suits. In the past year I've been able to assemble a small 1940's wardrobe with the help of EBAY in combination with contemporary clothes that have that 1940's look. The Fedora Lounge has been a great place for ideas, knowledge & inspiration as it lets people who are into the 1930's & 1940's know we are not alone! Peter :)

Naama

Practically Family
Hello!

Well, I'll have to admit, I'm not all that "authentic" (what ever that means) as you. My hair may be very late 20's/erlay 30's and I do wear clothes which my grandma and mother are fond of but I'm pierced.... Yes, I thought aboute taking my piercings out, but somehow I just can't..... Now... :) Well' see what's happening in the future...

And don't even look at my music collection, you might think I'm crazy.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael