Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In the Year Two-Thousannnnd

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Some wag posted a funny comment about how he tried to fly his personal flying machine to the city, but got stopped by the roof over the city. And wondered why they did not get rid of it since they had a weather machine.

I am wondering why, if you were going to imagine the future in 100 years, you could not possibly conceive of any way to fly or walk on water except with a baloon strapped to you. Seems like they could pretty well do that then if they wanted to. I hope my future is a little more advanced than that.

I wonder. Some people say technological advancement is moving exponentially. NOt sure how they measure it. But hee is the question. Are we more willing or less willing to accept future development that seems fantastic now than our forefathers? In every age, does the amazing tech advances make the future seem unlimited?

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, I LOVE this kind of stuff. Anything futuristic from the past is really interesting to me, especially if it's predicting a time period I've lived through. That's why Just Imagine (1930) is my favourite movie!

MaximOfSurrey

Familiar Face
Well, as Dr.Frink said... "I predict that thirty years from now computers will be ten times as big as this room and -so- expensive only the 7 richest people will be able to afford one."

RAF Man

One of the Regulars
carebear said:
Postcards from 1900 predicting life in 2000.

They got some of it right.

http://paleo-future.blogspot.com/2007/04/postcards-showing-year-2000-circa-1900.html

They are great images. I find it amusing that predictions of the future, made in early Victorian times for instance, the people never included any concept of fashion changes, or were prepared to make even a guess. I know no one knows what people will wear in years to come, but people now often make wild guesses as to futuristic fashion, when creating a scifi movie or TV programme. Whether it looks ridiculous, weird or not.
Super images though never the less.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
MaximOfSurrey said:
Well, as Dr.Frink said... "I predict that thirty years from now computers will be ten times as big as this room and -so- expensive only the 7 richest people will be able to afford one."

Ironic that the richest man iun the world is one of the ones that made them a household commodity.

warbird

One Too Many
RAF Man said:
They are great images. I find it amusing that predictions of the future, made in early Victorian times for instance, the people never included any concept of fashion changes, or were prepared to make even a guess. I know no one knows what people will wear in years to come, but people now often make wild guesses as to futuristic fashion, when creating a scifi movie or TV programme. Whether it looks ridiculous, weird or not.
Super images though never the less.

That was the first thing to strike as well.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Ettiquette and housekeeping will be important subjects in schools?????? bahahahhahahahahaha Poor chap, he had no idea how far society will have fallen in 100 years. (BTW, my Grandpa was born in 1901 when he died in 1980 he was always complaining about the lack of ettiquette and hygiene of the modern youth.:eek: )

Jerekson

One Too Many
This is reminding me of an old Seinfeld episode...

Apparently, Kramer thought that people "will be able to breathe underwater in the year two-thousand".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff