Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Incendiary Blonde A-2 Jacket

Mr. Scratch

New in Town
I posted this on VLJ forum, but though some folks here might like it as well. I wanted to have a jacket similar to what my grandfather would have worn when he piloted B-25s in the Mediterranean during WWII. He was with the 446th Bomb Squadron, and during my research to build the jacket, I discovered that all the 446th mission logs were online, as well as photographs, including a couple of my grandfather! Off to a good start.

380294375.jpg

I started with a mid-80s near-new condition Flight Apparel Industries A-2 I got on eBay. I would have liked to have done this with a Aero or Goodwear, but I just couldn't spare the money. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality/price ratio of the FAI jacket; it is much better made than I expected, and seems close in quality (though not accuracy) to some of the better brands. However, the finish was way too glossy, and the dark brown too solid.

I rubbed it down with an alcohol-soaked rag, paying special attention to the seams and such which would naturally receive more wear on a broken-in coat. The effect was a nice mottling. Then I patched it with a repro 446th squadron patch I'd bought several months ago, and replaced the zipper with a Talon.

380293856.jpg

My grandfather's ship had no nose art, and the squadron itself wasn't blessed to have as good an artist on staff as her sister squadron in the same Bomb Group, the 447th BS, so I borrowed the art from one of their planes (with a few modifications).

380252464.jpg

Then sent it off to Jerri at http://www.victory-girl.com for painting. She did a fine job.

380293853.jpg

My heroic flyboy pose here came out a bit too Manfred von Richthofen on account of the collar being up, but you get the general idea.

380252467.jpg
380252468.jpg

Next I need to add my grandfather's missions along the bottom back and give the art a faux patina to tone it down and give it an aged appearance. More on that when I get to it.

Peacoat

Bartender
Good job Scratch. I believe that rabbit riding the bomb has been on the Lounge before. I am amazed that the mission logs are still available and are online. You obviously have done a lot of research on this project.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
380252467.jpg

Looks good Craig. Now if they would let you can wear that outfit when you're working on 13th and you give the panhandlers that "LOOK", it'll intimidate them right outa the area.

regards fedoralover

Mr. Scratch

New in Town
Thanks guys. So far so good. In the next few weeks I hope to stencil in the missions. Hope my luck holds out.

fedoralover said:
Now if they would let you can wear that outfit when you're working on 13th and you give the panhandlers that "LOOK", it'll intimidate them right outa the area.

As of next week they're reassigning me to the apocalyptic ruin we like to call "downtown", so that heavy leather might make for handy insulation against broken glass, hypodermic needles and flaming gasoline. :mad:

I gotta get a new job. :eusa_doh:

JB17COT

Familiar Face
Mr Scratch - just wondering if you had pictures of what your jacket looks like 4 years on? I'm currently eyeing a FAI jacket. Do you know if these were made from horside or steerhide as well?

Thanks

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Given this is a "thread revival" and the cat's not posted in almost 4 years I don't think we're gonna git an answer to our queries, sad though...

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
His last post was 6-20-13 Worf..according to his profile. Unless I'm missing something...

The ORIGINAL ORGINAL post was '09 and his last post to THIS thread was 12/9/09 at least according to my eyes... I didn't check his profile so he maybe still around. I know I've not seen a post by him on jackets in my time here. The revival was asking for new pics of the 4 year old jacket. I'm askin' where'd he git that cap!

Worf

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I don't know that dear Manfred Von would have been caught wearing a Soviet belt buckle... (mind you, he was dead several years before the USSR proper was established, so...). I'm just yankin' yer chain here, though... ;)

That jacket turned out great. I do think it's a good idea, unless money is no object, to keep the initial spend down on a jacket that is going to have art added, given it's something that might them be less often worn. I've never done an A2 with art, but I know when it came to putting the BRMC colours on a Perfecto, I used a cheaper jacket in that style, as it's not something I can see me wearing very often.

If anybody does track down the OP, I'm another fancier of that hat...

Russia. We do WWII Soviet (70th Guards) re-enacting, and it's part of the gear. He has friends there and in UK that get most of the gear. They're both rare pieces.
The buckle above is (fedoralover) is a trophy German buckle with a Soviet hat star on top. No idea if any of that is "real" or...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo