Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

<<< incoming from Good Wear >>>

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Totally agree with this principle. When I purchase a jacket, I always picture wearing a second layer. One of my favorite jacket cuts is the Car Coat. They are very functional and practical. They wear nice dress up or when riding a bike. Car coats were popular in the '30s. To this date, they still make a solid jacket designs.
Thanks for that! Do you have a link or anywhere you can point me toward seeing these?

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for that! Do you have a link or anywhere you can point me toward seeing these?

Aero makes a few in a different styles and fits, such as the Stockman. Schott has a number of nice ones too, such as this. They also have a particularly attractive one that's being discontinued, so it's been on the sale page for a year or so, now down to just size S.

They're cut bigger and longer to account for layers (and be a true outerwear garment). This doesn't always align with prevailing TFL trends but it can be a great look. (They're also very in among the younger crowd, which likes looser fits in general, not that that's relevant to us.)

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Stunning! You probably won’t ever be able to top that haha!

I’m having John make me a Modoc. How long was your wait?
Thank you Jeo:). I’m not familiar with that pattern, but I’m looking it up now!
I placed my order in late April 2022 and he told me at that time it would be 12-14 months. He was right on the mark!

Last edited:

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Aero makes a few in a different styles and fits, such as the Stockman. Schott has a number of nice ones too, such as this. They also have a particularly attractive one that's being discontinued, so it's been on the sale page for a year or so, now down to just size S.

They're cut bigger and longer to account for layers (and be a true outerwear garment). This doesn't always align with prevailing TFL trends but it can be a great look. (They're also very in among the younger crowd, which likes looser fits in general, not that that's relevant to us.)
Thank you for those, appreciated! I didn’t realize this is what’s referred to as a car coat, but I like them. Especially the Aero.

Aloysius

Thank you Jeo:). I’m nit familiar with that pattern, but I’m looking it up now!
I placed my order in late April 2022 and he told me at that time it would be 12-14 months. He was right on the mark!

I nearly placed an order in 2021… should have gone through with it.

El Marro

Congratulations on a beautiful jacket!!!
My first Good Wear was made from Italian horsehide (seal that John overdyed to give a slight Cordovan look) back in 2018. If I recall correctly, John told me that the hide came from the Victoria Tannery in Italy and that it was the same horsehide that Eastman used for their A2 and civilian models.
Now that was five years ago, and it’s very possible that your jacket is made from something totally different. I know that every time I have spoken to John he has something new on hand to offer as far as hides go.

andyone

A-List Customer
Hello folks,

I thought I’d share my new Good Wear Hercules jacket with you all.

Many of you already know that John is just such a pleasure to work with. He took a lot of time to speak to me about this pattern, and how he has learned to perfect it over time.

What drew me to Good Wear was knowing that John actually makes the jackets. He makes the pattern, cuts the leather, and sews them together one by one in his own small shop. I love just love that and I’m happy support him.

He’s like taking to an encyclopedia (for those of you too young to know what that is, think Google in print), and has just a vast knowledge about the history of the jackets he makes along with a real passion for how they were constructed.

After discussing things, I landed on this build:

Italian dark seal HH
Sunback rayon/ cotton lining
M-42 talon zipper with vintage slider
vintage talon pull chain chest zipper
corozo buttons from Japan
adjustable corduroy collar
vintage repo Hercules and Roughwear labels

I’m not one to obsess over laser straight stitching, or such things. To my eye, the jacket is beautifully hand crafted and if there are any imperfections they are part and parcel of a handcrafted item and only add to its character.

John was kind enough to send me loads of pictures as it was being built and I promised him that I would not divulge them anywhere. They are much appreciated and will follow with the jacket in a printed booklet, to hand down to my son some day.

Sorry, about my photography skills and the stack of laundry. Thanks for reading.

View attachment 526950 View attachment 526951 View attachment 526952 View attachment 526953 View attachment 526954
Wow, that looks spot on to me! I‘d like the sleeves a tad shorter but could imagine they will shorten with wear.
What nice boots are you wearing?

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Congratulations on a beautiful jacket!!!
My first Good Wear was made from Italian horsehide (seal that John overdyed to give a slight Cordovan look) back in 2018. If I recall correctly, John told me that the hide came from the Victoria Tannery in Italy and that it was the same horsehide that Eastman used for their A2 and civilian models.
Now that was five years ago, and it’s very possible that your jacket is made from something totally different. I know that every time I have spoken to John he has something new on hand to offer as far as hides go.
Thank you very much! Great info on the over dye. I’m certain he said that he dyed this hide as well to get this dark brown/black color, which is exactly what I was looking for.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Great jacket congratulations.
So many nice details. How do you like the inside corduroy collar? Love that that detail.
Thank you! I really like the collar detail a lot. it doesn’t interfere with the neckline at all (which I was slightly concerned about).

In fact it was was of the first things we talked about when we discussed his Hercules pattern. He also went to a lot of work to recreate the Roughwear label for it.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Wow, that looks spot on to me! I‘d like the sleeves a tad shorter but could imagine they will shorten with wear.
What nice boots are you wearing?
Thank you! I agree the sleeves came out just a tad too long. I’ve been burned before on so many jackets with sleeves that were too short, so I added an extra 1/2”. Lol

I’m very lucky as John and I are about the same size so I wasn’t too worried about him nailing the fit.

Those are Viberg 310 Service boots in Kudu leather

andyone

A-List Customer
Thank you! I agree the sleeves came out just a tad too long. I’ve been burned before on so many jackets with sleeves that were too short, so I added an extra 1/2”. Lol

I’m very lucky as John and I are about the same size so I wasn’t too worried about him nailing the fit.

Those are Viberg 310 Service boots in Kudu leather
Thanks man - hope they will shorten as you want it and I will have a look at the boots

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner