Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

<<< Incoming from Himel Bros >>>

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Good day all. I just thought I’d share my very first “good” leather jacket with you all.

Admittedly I’m very green when it comes to this but when I started doing research, I somehow landed here on this forum. Thanks to everyone who contributes. The information I have learned here was invaluable to helping me decide where to buy.

I’m not going to pretend to know what things to look for in a good jacket, but from what I gathered here, there are a few top tier jacket makers and luckily one of them happens to be right here in my backyard (so to speak). I decided on Himel Bros. It was a huge bonus to be able to get measured in person and I also think it’s nice to support a local crafts person like David.

I was lucky enough to spend an afternoon with David. He measured me up, and 4 weeks later I have my jacket! I met him just yesterday to pick it up and got a chance to see some of his collection as well ... very cool.

Anyway onto the jacket:

Imperial: shinki HH, black oil tanned, mitchel Camo lining.
bespoke 44 (David altered it through the body and chest to what he called a 43. Alot went into this as he measured, and “gathered” at the material on a stock 44 to simulate his alterations. I was amazed at how proficient he was (I guess it should come as no surprise).
We added about an inch to the body
Added 3/4” to the sleeves
Old stock half belt buckles and buttons
Two inside pockets with snaps.
I’m 6’2” 180 lbs fwiw.

I absolutely love the finished result. The hide he uses is just sublime. It’s very tough to describe as it’s smooth with a slight grain. I’m sure you more experienced folks know what I’m referring to. I also love the color of this jacket. Sometimes depending on light conditions it almost looks more like a deep deep brown. It’s everything I had hoped for. The fit is spot on in my opinion. The arm holes are perhaps a tad high for my liking but then again I’ve never worn a “fitted” leather jacket, so I’m sure I’ll get used to it.

The highlight of the whole experience (beyond the jacket) was getting to know David a bit. We literally spent several hours chatting about everything from his vintage clothing business and transition into bespoke jackets, along with a whole lots of topics not clothing related ... it was just a great day overall. I highly recommend him and his work to anyone looking for “one good thing.” Here’s a few pics, I hope they turn out ok.

AC0C3DA3-F52C-424C-8AD2-884D220ABE54.jpeg
4484FD20-1E82-4326-81A1-93C8467565AA.jpeg
7AD727F3-17CC-4701-855D-EE8860119138.jpeg
B4F78525-ECE0-47A2-9A86-12DE126AAAAB.jpeg
A5A24A97-A590-469D-B923-CB6F4992C140.jpeg

Cheers, Brian

Last edited by a moderator:

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Sorry for How the I posted the pictures in mid sentence ... Maybe a mod could adjust for me. Thank you in advance.

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Congratulations!
I have this leather in a Himel Kensington-Love it.
I have another Kensington ready to pick up in Toronto.
This is my all-time favorite leather, well , tied with Langlitz 50-year-old horsehide.
Enjoy this fine jacket. Versatile, beautiful, and tough as nails. Oh and did I mention gets better with age?

Fantastic!!!
Congratulations! Not only did you pick one of the best makers, but you also picked the classiest style :D, and you got to spend time with the craftsman to boot! This closely resembles my experience with John Chapman when he created my Imperial. I will never sell it as it holds a very special spot in my heart- also my first custom jacket.
Well done!
What an entrance.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's a Himel and you there in person for the fit, that the jacket is a piece of art and the fit spot on is expected, but seeing the result is still awesome. Congratulation I am envious

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Congratulations!
I have this leather in a Himel Kensington-Love it.
I have another Kensington ready to pick up in Toronto.
This is my all-time favorite leather, well , tied with Langlitz 50-year-old horsehide.
Enjoy this fine jacket. Versatile, beautiful, and tough as nails. Oh and did I mention gets better with age?

Thank you! Glad to hear it’ll last a while. Are you from the GTA?

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Fantastic!!!
Congratulations! Not only did you pick one of the best makers, but you also picked the classiest style :D, and you got to spend time with the craftsman to boot! This closely resembles my experience with John Chapman when he created my Imperial. I will never sell it as it holds a very special spot in my heart- also my first custom jacket.
Well done!
What an entrance.

Thats really great to hear a parallel story. These guys must be cut from the same cloth.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
It's a Himel and you there in person for the fit, that the jacket is a piece of art and the fit spot on is expected, but seeing the result is still awesome. Congratulation I am envious
Thank you Jon, I love this jacket and David really is an interesting person to chat with!

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Everything from this point on will be a let down. If you spend a month reading archival posts you’d see guys spending years and thousands for what you’ve achieved first time out. Leave TFL now. Come back every 5 years and post evolution pics. Watch faces go green. Slip back into the shadows.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Everything from this point on will be a let down. If you spend a month reading archival posts you’d see guys spending years and thousands for what you’ve achieved first time out. Leave TFL now. Come back every 5 years and post evolution pics. Watch faces go green. Slip back into the shadows.
:D That’s epic. I guess I have my “one good thing”

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Truly epic!..beautiful jacket, great fit, great maker, and a great tale..

Checking waze now to see how far Toronto is from LI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner