Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Incongruencies of body art?

analiebe

A-List Customer
volatile said:
By all means, help yourself! It's something I stumbled upon as part of my PhD research a while ago, and shared it with my friend Marissa who runs that blog (now moved to needlesandsins.com)...

Please do feel free to use it! I can't take much credit for it other than discovering it in the Wellcome archives! :) What's the URL of your blog?

volatile... thanks again for pointing me in the direction of both the article & also needlesandsins.... by following the dots i've discovered that you are rather the expert in the area of historic body art and now feel slightly embarrassed by pointing you in the direction of what is to be a very simple blog post...

volatile

A-List Customer
analiebe said:
volatile... thanks again for pointing me in the direction of both the article & also needlesandsins.... by following the dots i've discovered that you are rather the expert in the area of historic body art and now feel slightly embarrassed by pointing you in the direction of what is to be a very simple blog post...

Well... historical anthropology isn't really my field, so I'm not really an expert on that particular aspect (though I have written some short encyclopaedia entries on some specific practices) - but I do come across lots of this type of material in the course of my broader research, which is on the relationship between tattooing and art history. :)

analiebe

A-List Customer
volatile said:
Well... historical anthropology isn't really my field, so I'm not really an expert on that particular aspect (though I have written some short encyclopaedia entries on some specific practices) - but I do come across lots of this type of material in the course of my broader research, which is on the relationship between tattooing and art history. :)

i AM really interested in reading your paper so am downloading as we speak to read

SayCici

Practically Family
I don't hide them. It may have been taboo for anyone, not just women, to have tattoos in the past, but those two aspects of my life aren't separate. The girl who gets tattooed is the girl who sets her hair at night and dons a crinoline. And I'm not rockabilly.

I don't really get the point of hiding something like that.. no one actually thinks you've stepped out of a time machine. If you're ashamed of a tattoo, then fine, but if you still love it, why should you have to cover it?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
If you're going to get a tattoo just to be ashamed of it, or because it doesn't fit into your look, then why get it?

I dress 40's-50's, and I have a nose stud, cartilage piercing, 2 lobe holes, and I used to have a tragus. I also have a tattoo in white ink on the back of my neck. Hard to hide, but I wouldn't want to anyway! I like how it contrasts with my otherwise period look.

The world don't move to the beat of just one drum! :)

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
My look is conservative so I don't prefer to have visible tattoos, myself. That said, I applaud you ladies that do have well placed and well thought out tattoos on your lovely selves...and I love the incongruity of the w/ an otherwise vintage style. :eusa_clap

I don't think only 'Rockabilly' girls do it and I don't pin that label on any girl who wears vintage clothing and has tattoos. However, I do feel that placement is key. Sabina Kelly's tattoos are really nice, I think. They are well placed and really add to her overall look. Also they don't distract from her 'comic book' body. A modern pin up girl w/ badly placed tattoos, I think, is Cherry Dollface. I don't like the chest pieces...she's so tiny. They overpower her. hmmmmm...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner