Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Incredible HOLY GRAIL German 1930s Sportcoat

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
That jacket rocks my socks. Your ensemble fits perfectly with it, although you look like you'd be roasting in this summer heat! Congrats on such an awesome find.

I saw an outstanding chalk stripe suit today that looked totally 30's, although the tags make me think it must be far more recent; it had outstanding heavy-duty material, beautiful cut, nice wide lapels and everything, but sadly it was nowhere near fitting me. ;_;

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Wonderful jacket. I wish it had fit me... ;)

I'm super glad it didn't. ;)

It's gonna be great in fall. Because of all the pleats large parts of it have three layers of tweed. It should be plenty warm without an overcoat.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
4%2520am%252011-07-2012%2520um%252018.18.jpg

Don't know if these wrinkles in the back are always there when I'm wearing it...
4%2520am%252011-07-2012%2520um%252018.33%2520%25232.jpg

4%2520am%252011-07-2012%2520um%252018.21%2520%25232.jpg

WOW!:eusa_clap

Great jacket and it looks wonderful on you.

Thanks to Mario I was recently able to acquire this incredible German 1930s sportcoat from the Cinetex guys in Berlin. This is a rare beast indeed. I never expected to find a 1930s belted back in my size. But this one is not only special because of its size. First, it's a German belted back. Second, it's not a half belt but a three quarter belt. Third, the belt is loose. Fourth, it has a pleated back. And fifth, it has even front pleats! I don't think it gets any better or more rare than this!

I'll post fit pics later when it's not as warm anymore.

IMG_0895.jpg

IMG_0898.jpg

Pleated pockets
IMG_0896.jpg

The belt is attached to the side seam to prevent it from sliding down too much.
IMG_0899.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

Period repairs
IMG_0901.JPG

IMG_0902.JPG

IMG_0903.jpg

IMG_0904.jpg

1930%27s-German-SB-Belted-Back-Beige-Brown-Houndstooth.jpg

Oh my god I cant breath!!!
VM

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's a wonderful jacket and a rare beast indeed. My girlfriend also wondered about the chest drape when we saw the first pictures but I think it looks much better when worn. I haven't noticed something like this on illustrations though. Do you have an example?

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i personally don't see anything odd about the chest... apart from the fact that it has pleats. which is unconventional, but that is the style.
here is a very similar jacket from a 1937 German catalogue:

1937-04-03-Karstadt.jpg

Thanks hbk for that image. I have a similar one somewhere that I was thinking of.

We'll have to disagree; I really find the chest drape/pleat/belt combination quite jarring. But in a good way, if that makes any sense. What it actually looks like, to me, is the kind of bust allowance you see in similar women's jackets. (Not a criticism, just trying to describe what I see).

bk

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I didn't notice it on the "being worn" pictures. Rudie is quite tall and slender so there is no bellowing on the pleats. Maybe it would look "odd" for a man with a bigger size

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR