Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indian Love Call

Ellie

Familiar Face
I just recently watched the California's Gold episode of the famous "Yosemite Firefall".

The Firefall was an almost century old tradition in which a nightly campfire was extinguished by dropping it from a high point in Yosemite, creating a dazzling display for onlookers in Yosemite Valley. Oftentimes, there would be musical entertainment to accompany the Firefall. One song which was particularly popular in the 1930s and 1940s was Indian Love Call.

Can anybody recommend a recording of this song?

If you get a chance, I highly recommend watching this episode of "California's Gold." You can probably find it at your local library. And if they don't have it, put in a special order for it ;) Most libraries take requests from the public.

Unfortunately, the tradition of the Firefall ended in 1969. :(

Shearer

Practically Family
California Gold! Huell Howser is pretty much a state treasure himself lol

Is this the song you're talking about, Ellie? I've never heard it before, but I like what I found! I'm really amazed sometimes what I find on YouTube. The other day a website had a link to original 30s and 40s blues recordings on YouTube... I love it when things like that find their way there.

And not that I'm condoning downloading off of anything but iTunes, but I've had good luck finding rare stuff on Limewire at times :whistling

Ellie

Familiar Face
Thank you Thank you Thank you

They are all great recordings.

I think I will have to add YouTube to my favorites!:)

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Martian Killer!

Someone's version, I think it's Slim Whitman's, is in Mars Attacks - to the severe detriment of the Martians. Should be on the soundtrack.

Lee

If you buy the soundtrack, I hope you like Tom Jones. lol

funneman

Practically Family
I believe there was a famous singing duo in the twenties or thirties that had a popular recording of this song. I remember a man in a Canadian Mountie uniform singing this with a woman.

Also I think Brenden Fasier and Sarah Jessica Parker "sang" it in "Dudley DooRight."

Which is odd because that would make two movies with Sarah Jessica Parker that use Indian Love Call.

I believe there was also a version released by Ray Stevens in the seventies.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Yes

That duo was Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy.
I love just about all of their films. Of course Mr. Eddy can also be heard on the "Chase and Sanborn Hour".

Sincerely,
the Wolf

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I remember Slim Whitman's recording of "Indian Love Call" in Mars Attacks! When the farmers first started playing it and when they did in Las Vegas were great scenes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff