Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toyo / Indian Motorcycle / Gold ?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
image_6876_0.jpg
imgrc0083849437.jpg
m52915888305_1.jpg
m55510546919_1.jpg
m55922028585_1.jpg
m60352747285_1.jpg
m72335328396_1.jpg
m78034167745_1.jpg
m83196757089_1.jpg

Toyo Indian Ranger 01.jpg

These are just some of the jackets that came up on the used market when I searched for Toyo. Most are under the "Indian Motorcycle" label, others are under the "Gold" label. What was the story behind this brand from Japan? They seem to do a very wide variety of repro designs, horsehide, cowhide, wool...etc. But no longer doing them?

Prices are all over the place too. Some had original retail that is double the amount of the others. Some says made in Japan, and some just don't say anything at all. The zips would range from expensive Crown down to run of the mill Talon repros.

All I know about Toyo is that they are some affiliate brand of Mister Freedom now? And not doing any of these type of repro no more, just the nylon jackets.

Are these jackets worth the buy on the used market? Some look to be of high quality (Crown zip and thick wool)

Can anyone share the story of this brand's story. Thanks.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Toyo Enterprise has a lot of different lines. Ranges from made in China to made in Japan and even made in America. Sometimes they have the country of origins other times, they do not.
They claim to be the original maker of the "Souvenir Jacket". They then majored in making jeans, casual wear and work wear under the label Sugar Cane.
https://www.toyo-enterprise.co.jp/aboutus/
AFAIK, they have some sort of cooperation or joint venture with RM founder that resulted in the Buzz Rickson's label. Here is a old RM catalogue that include Buzz Rickson's
https://ameblo.jp/arabs/image-11929097997-13075645564.html
Toyo do outsource many of their production. As said United Carr items are usually made in China. They can switch supplier/actual manufacturer and they have done that. Hence you can find some really crappy Indian Motorcycle jackets that are made in China or Korea and then there would be some solid made in Japan ones.
They also use and register many different labels over the years. For example, I have seen them using the Indian Motorcycle and All State. Some of the labels are to create faithful reproduction of products made by defunct company. Like the brown police leather jacket in your 5th photo is a faithful reproduction of Lewis Holster of Los Angeles down to its label. Photo of the label of Toyo's jacket. A photo I took of a jacket I bought earlier this year.

i-img1200x1200-1645419718oez0b1867.jpg

Photos of the original jacket in one of Rin Tanaka's book
IMG_8635.jpg

They have I believe also used the Californian label on a few of their repros.
i-img900x1200-16691153027ai3sl15.jpg

i-img1200x900-1669115302clevyy15.jpg

Aloysius

Toyo is the parent company of Buzz Rickson's, Sugar Cane, etc.

They've also licensed the name of Indian Motorcycle, mostly for mass market Americana and workwear, though occasionally they will use it for higher end stuff like Sugar Cane tier.

Most of what they release under the Indian name (including the high end stuff) has no particular link to Indian's licensed products of the mid-century US; rather, it is used as a general name for certain workwear garments. The two exceptions are the last jacket in your post and a collaboration sweater with Dehen like the Indian sweaters of old.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the info! I wish I was knew about this brand when they did that Lewis police jacket repro. I found one on the used market but size didn't work out. It was actually the All State jackets from Junky Special that lead me to this search. Good stuff. I think I can spot the ones made in China/Korea, they tend to cut cost with lesser quality hardware and is easier to spot those in the photo. I wish this brand keep coming out with more repro leather stuff. They seem to do things quite well.

Blackadder

Aloysius

Thanks for the info! I wish I was knew about this brand when they did that Lewis police jacket repro. I found one on the used market but size didn't work out. It was actually the All State jackets from Junky Special that lead me to this search. Good stuff. I think I can spot the ones made in China/Korea, they tend to cut cost with lesser quality hardware and is easier to spot those in the photo. I wish this brand keep coming out with more repro leather stuff. They seem to do things quite well.

There's no confusing their lower end stuff with the high end repro stuff, even before you look at hardware. The lower end stuff is visibly mall jacket style, with Indian patches and such.

Where did you find that pic of their version of the Ranger?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
There's no confusing their lower end stuff with the high end repro stuff, even before you look at hardware. The lower end stuff is visibly mall jacket style, with Indian patches and such.

I think it was Mecari, don't remember exactly. I saved some pics:

Toyo Indian Ranger 01.jpg
Toyo Indian Ranger 02.jpg
Toyo Indian Ranger 03.jpg
Toyo Indian Ranger 04.jpg
Toyo Indian Ranger 05.jpg

I am trying to find these in different sizes.

Blackadder

That one has removable belt. They did a few of modified Indian Ranger. This one is closer. IM80099
https://akafujiya.jp/products/detail/13591

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Not Ranger but "All State".

imgrc0071731190.jpg
imgrc0071731191.jpg
imgrc0071731192.jpg

Ad says "1.5mmの肉厚なホースハイドを採用している" So thick teacore horsehide. Insert my smile here...

There is another "All State" by Rainbow Country, but only 1.2mm

148479141.jpg
148479141_o1.jpg
148479141_o2.jpg
148479141_o3.jpg

Aloysius

Yeah I saw photos of that first All State on a Japanese site a while back and I was mesmerized.

Damn they even sniped the Sears “All State” label that was applied to relabeled Buco’s! Not even applied to the right jacket. I’ve seen that label in two jackets. The j-24 and the pj-27. At a certain point these Japanese brands just make me laugh.
B9B5682B-C1FC-4B3D-8C89-ACA1CF8EB2D2.jpeg

9F61D11D-E695-4974-AA1D-DB4A45E9BB8F.jpeg

Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Not even applied to the right jacket. I’ve seen that label in two jackets. The j-24 and the pj-27. At a certain point these Japanese brands just make me laugh.
This looks like an original

CFE8E82B-D875-4D5D-B93F-894EBC680470.jpeg
1D83B467-87A0-4BBC-9D23-6C857D8E4033.jpeg

I don't think I've ever handled a better jacket than the Toyo that I had. Leather on it was something else entirely.
Inspired by this one?

D0567691-9A46-4BB9-A6E5-B5344FC31A34.jpeg

9103CE7D-777E-4003-8A79-BF1F70CC9704.jpeg

Aloysius

Damn they even sniped the Sears “All State” label that was applied to relabeled Buco’s! Not even applied to the right jacket. I’ve seen that label in two jackets. The j-24 and the pj-27. At a certain point these Japanese brands just make me laugh.
View attachment 469315
View attachment 469317

This is a different phenomenon from faux repros and the like. In Korea and Japan, it’s fairly common to license the names of random Western companies to establish unrelated brands. This is why ‘National Geographic’ is a fashion brand in Korea, as is Kodak.

This isn’t limited to the East, though. There are multiple European fashion brands that license the names of American colleges. Within the US, Fossil bought the name of an old American hairdressing to use as their upmarket line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner